Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I use "at a high level" to describe what my boss thinks I do to his boss. It's easier than throwing my boss under the bus, since he leaves me alone to do what I want, and doesn't put him in the weird place of having to explain anything to his boss.
Thus, we all keep getting paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Captain Yossarian posted:

Work from home is wonderful. I do like an hour of actual work a day and the rest of the time I get paid to take a shower, do laundry, play with my cats and play Doom mods on my gaming laptop. loving lol @ you bozos that work in an office

My work laptop is on a part of my home computer desk that conveniently leaves the keyboard, mouse, and monitor free for gaming while I'm working. It's pretty great for days where I don't feel like doing anything proactive.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Tex Avery posted:

No, they absolutely are not. HR is there to mitigate circumstances that might allow an employee or former employee to sue the company. HR is not your friend. While they can do good things, they are no substitute for a union. HR will not negotiate a new contract to establish working conditions; they will merely enact a new contract without having to get input. The fact that this can happen is why you need union representation.

That's what the post is saying. HR is a union for the company (to protect their interests) and union is HR for the employees (to protect their interests, get them paid, and keep them treated well).

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Pyrtanis posted:

IT can't like, restrict him being able to see her camera?

This isn't really a thing, no.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I'm currently doing a Nexonia to Concur migration, please feel free to share any major things with your concur implementation that piss you off so I can avoid them.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Thomamelas posted:

Names. Do not assume that you have a good list of names. Do not assume HR has a good list of names. And for fucks sake do not assume AD has a good list of names. During the pandemic, the company I work for decided to change travel agents. Which apparently wiped all of our info from the system. So they just grabbed names from AD and used that to populate our names in Concur. Except AD had a diminutive of my name. Not my name as it appears on my ID. Neither the airlines or TSA will accept that.

Make sure the e-receipts are enabled. A number of services I use can send the receipts right to my account if e-receipts are enabled. Saves a fair amount of time for me, and it reduces the chance finance gets an expense without a receipt.

Oh poo poo, this is incredibly important, as we're going to leverage concur travel hard and our people travel a lot. Thank you for bringing this up, it would have totally flown under my radar.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

A Stupid Baby posted:

They owe you at least $18/hr because I make that and I've never built a fuckin' arduino

Baby's right, Domus. I have an intern whose job is to image laptops based on a prewritten process and ship stuff places, and I pay them $18/hr.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
If I issue equipment that can't hold company data (monitors, docks, kb+m combos) for use at home, I just write it off and don't particularly care if it comes back. Spending $500 to increase the efficiency of someone we're paying six figures seems like an easy win.
Anything capable of holding data that I might own gets tracked aggressively.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I refuse to use teams file sharing. It sucks and gives nothing over a shared file on a networked drive.

Press the sync button in Teams. It will sync the files to your file explorer in Windows.

SharePoint (which Teams is mostly just a front end for on the file sharing side) has a ton of advantages over sharing files off of a local server.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

devmd01 posted:

Our marketing wanted that, we (IT) pushed back hard, and were told to do it. So I made sure that the CIO was included in the policy pilot group.

It didn’t get any further than that. gently caress e’m, marketing has always been the worst in any company I’ve been in when it comes to their expectations and interacting with IT.

I got asked by marketing if we could make the intranet everyone's home page in a meeting yesterday, and enjoyed explaining to them, in front of the CEO and CFO, exactly what that would do to worker productivity, efficiency, and morale. Most of our workforce are not exactly power users. If they didn't open chrome and see all of the tabs they use every day (and have spent a decade curating), the meltdowns would be amazing.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

peanut posted:

This is why magazines have text in columns.

Does anyone else do remote work in a cafe, library, or coworking space? I'm a translator so my work is low/medium confidentiality and I don't need to do any meetings or be strictly "on the clock".
My "office" at home is full of kids books and toys. I usually work at the dining room table, but I get distracted by snacks and dishes and laundry and life in general. I'm also less inclined to shitpost when I'm working in public.

When I had a massive project with a strict deadline I registered for a coworking space that was $60/month (ignoring the actual exchange rate) and $12/day for walk-in use. It was wonderful for one month, but for one day it's more cost effective to work at a cafe.

What are you favorite places to work? Do you choose based on price, facilities, or atmosphere?
I also want to hear about snacks and leg stretches.

There's a brewery near my house that I work from once a week or so. I tend to save my really tedious tasks for it, like formalizing documentation. Having someone bring you beer makes the tedious stuff a lot less so.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

blackmet posted:

I have a feeling the software is white listed for the company Wi-fi network and their offices in the few primary cities where this is done. But nobody ever thought to make it usable here.

Turns out that the other extremely outdated and manual system I needed to get this going had the same issue. My workaround was to book a "focus room" where the docking station only really exists for the monitors and peripherals, but otherwise has you connect to WiFi. Once I made the move, everything worked perfectly.

I know that nothing makes me feel more connected to my office mates than sitting in a meeting room alone for 1/2 my day. Returning back to hybrid hasn't been as horrible as I thought it would be -- almost everyone have talked to here is really nice, and because nobody really knows what I do, they don't really try to manage me. But it's still basically... pointless. Especially if my systems barely work.

Why not just...unplug the network cable from your dock? Your wifi will work fine with the laptop closed and docked.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Lazyfire posted:

Nah, I decided to do the minimal reasonable amount of work and remind the ops people this is entirely their fault in order to force process changes because I'm tired of unfucking things for them every few weeks with the same couple vendors. I won't be doing this in a few weeks, so may as well make them figure things out now instead of expecting me to fix their problems forever.

You work for a place that hasn't figured out how to change owners on SharePoint sites, what leads you to believe that process changes are possible?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

diremonk posted:

Unfortunately I've already agreed to go over to do the install. And if he is off air, then no money coming in so I'm in the same place I'm at now. But next time I speak to him I'm going to say that I'm not doing anything else until I get paid for my time. I've probably spent about 10 or so hours dealing with this over the last three months, so I'm going to tell him that I need to be paid for the work. If he doesn't like it he can find another engineer. The only reason I feel kind of bad is he lost his mom and sister two months apart last year and then had back surgery.

He did pay me $200 for doing some network troubleshooting a long time ago when I did work for him so I know he'll pay. If he doesn't, that's what spam filters and number blocking is for.

Your contractor rate is at least 3x your W2 rate per hour.
That being said, what are you getting out of this friendship? It's not unfortunate that you've already agreed, you can just unagree and then not do it. "Sorry, got COVID and can't go anywhere" or something if you feel bad enough to make an excuse.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Teams messages are saved in a hidden folder in your email mailbox. A properly motivated IT peraon should be able to pull out every message ever sent to or by you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Domus posted:

What about in Netsuite? It’s unthinkable to me that an employee can’t be assigned to a location, so all sales orders, currency numbers, and inventory fulfillment are from that location by default, but the higher ups are telling me it isn’t possible. I never know if I should be angry at the makers of Netsuite or just whoever is in charge of it at our company. Probably both.

It's both. It's always correct to be mad at Oracle and also the NetSuite team.