Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

pixaal posted:

I asked bing to help me transport some cupcakes and my car and that the front seat back seat and truck were full.

It all went pretty standard AI conversation and as expected but I have a better intuitive understanding of these than most people seem to. Fancy loving auto complete from your cellphone just with 300w of power instead of 5w. Yes I know your phone has more but no way is that function using more than like 5w. An MML will run a 300w card all out no problem.

It asked if there was any other part of the car I could put the cupcakes. I said there's some room in the engine compartment. It told me I can fit almost 4,000 standard cupcakes in a standard engine compartment then was confident I could still transport the cupcakes with the car. After saying I was having trouble putting that many cupcakes in there with the engine and complained of burns it told me I had to remove the engine. When asked how to transport it without an engine I was told a tow truck was also required!

Now why am I not just putting the cupcakes in the tow truck?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm self-employed lmao

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What song would you sing at karaoke?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

First I translated a product catalog. Kinda woo but the content is not my problem.

Now I'm doing the website and it hasn't been updated to match the product names and range in the catalog. The intermediary client says that the catalog is newer so use those names.

Will the end client redo the original website to match the catalog? Shouldn't they have done that before translation? Will they pay me twice to do it all over again?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

20 Blunts posted:

i got to work briefly with an ex-wall streeter and the mean-spirited uselessness was astounding. im basically a hick. it was a pretty unique situation. but drat now i know a part of the reason why this country is dead lol.

please tell the stories

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

to: former employer
subject: re: access to archive

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm happy to hear that because I live in the city where Sumitomo began and they are still the biggest and most important company here (metal mining, forestry, chemical, heavy industries, materials research...)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Barudak are you in JP goon LINE chat? Please join? PM me.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The international sports event (see embedded Tweet) went over budget so 5 construction supervisors + 4 interpreters during assembly → 1-2 construction supervisors + 1 interpreter during takedown.
The company doesn't want to pay for hotels any more so they want the interpreters to be local.

There is no talented local interpreter that can commit to the full 10 weeks of sorting scaffolding pipes outside in summer. We need to take turns, and that means we need a hotel for out of town staff.

https://twitter.com/fukuoka2022jp/status/1682676859903913984

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Biplane posted:

Your former coworkers are all living safe and happy on a farm in upstate Singapore :)

lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lmao they're paying someone a full day plus gas to avoid $50 of postage

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The construction company refused to negotiate on hotels so I had to turn this down. Before expenses the pay is very good.
I will enjoy summer break with my kids and increase my online freelance work.

Any bilingual goons living in Fukuoka who want to get paid to work out this summer? PM me.

peanut posted:

The international sports event (see embedded Tweet) went over budget so 5 construction supervisors + 4 interpreters during assembly → 1-2 construction supervisors + 1 interpreter during takedown.
The company doesn't want to pay for hotels any more so they want the interpreters to be local.

There is no talented local interpreter that can commit to the full 10 weeks of sorting scaffolding pipes outside in summer. We need to take turns, and that means we need a hotel for out of town staff.

https://twitter.com/fukuoka2022jp/status/1682676859903913984

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oh no

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My dad said never start a cover letter, or every paragraph, with "I".

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I updated my resume and sent it directly to a company that I did subcontracted work for/with.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Burn it down and piss on the ashes

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Costco requires its (food) suppliers to pay overtime on a 1-minute basis. Sometimes suppliers get dropped because they can't/won't comply.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

PPAP

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I'm a teacher. Needed to borrow a key to a cupboard from a teacher in a different department. He produces his work keys which are attached to a 4" wide plush poo emoji as a keyring. I go, get the stuff I need out the cupboard (and also steal a ream of his departments printer paper for my department, thats like gold dust round here), return it and say "Hey, just out of interest, why are your work keys attached to the poo emoji?" He, I swear to god, goes dead white and says "THE WHAT?" "The poo emoji, you know, this?" "I THOUGHT IT WAS A HAPPY TRIANGLE!".

rofl

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Infographic resumes

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pretty soon I'll be doing a short-term high-intensity interpretation job that requires me to work 13+ hour shifts for 2-3 weeks, generally in full PPE.
Any tips from the work shitpost crew for the wild ride before me?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm excited for the overtime $$$ but also have effectively committed most of that to my daughter's orthodontic treatment starting next year, lol, lmao

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

goatface posted:

V curious what that job is. Asylum centre medical?

Construction at a factory with very specific technologies and chemicals/materials.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We're doings 24 hr shifts of spacewalks to scrape barnacles off the ISS.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Most excellent advice, oh wise one

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My contract is just for a few weeks.
After tasting the sweet flexibility of freelance work it would take a disaster for me to ever, as my dad says, "go captive" and work full time for one company again.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol, lmao

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

everyone hiring local seems to be just kind of waiting for CoL to drop before actually hiring anyone.

it won't

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol I wonder if they're asking for ID or is that not allowed I have no idea about job hunting in the US capitalist hellhole

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

At least the recruiter spam I get on Whatsapp obviously has the +00 country codes so I know to ignore them.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The app of choice here is LINE which I prefer over other apps for the following reasons:

- Mute all notifications by individual user/group (no blinking dots, except from your most important people!) - Disable people from adding you unless you're mutually registered in each other's address books.
- Reaction option
- Edit usernames on just your phone (add last names or where you met)

Whatsapp actually lets through phone calls from unregistered users, it's terrible.
Telegram is good for one-way announcements.
Zalo is like Whatsapp but centered in Vietnam so I rarely get spam.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

No I will not add you on Skype

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Forklift driver and crane operator are in high demand. The mobile container cranes at the port are my favorite.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I watched Blackberry on the airplane and enjoyed the sales/c-suite vs engineer clashes.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

jfc

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

rofl

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Today my coworker told me about a construction job they did in Chile. The Chilean host company wrote up the US subcontractor company as the worst safety rating for multiple negligent death accidents because they wrote their forms in black pen and black is the death color so they had to rewrite everything, absolutely everything, in blue pen and confiscate all the deadly black ink pens until the end of the project.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:regd08:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

One pocket wifi on a plan for 50GB/month, shared by 20 guys in a site office in a foreign country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

Hot new interview question: "describe your ideal boss"

I like my bosses how I like my coffee: dark, rich, and bitter.