Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Our IT team is made of of two guys, one of which is riddled by constant anxiety and the second which likes to go hiking/exercising any time the weather's nice (which means he splits on the regular). Trying to get anything done tech-wise is some really intense poo poo. Honestly not their fault - they need more help and have mentally checked out and decided to handle the small arenas they can control, which I totally get.

We will never hire extra IT folks though. Bc management never sees it as necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Cheesus posted:

Different strokes, I guess, but most major businesses/services works around 8am - 5pm hours. And if you have kids, good luck finding schools and daycares not following similar hours.

Also, personally I'd rather just get work done early and have the rest of the day to myself. I'd be doing 6am - 3pm shifts if I could.

True, but I specifically didn't have kids so that I would never have to be chained to such early hours. By contrast, my favorite time to work is when everyone else is starting to slow down for the day, from like 1pm-9pm. I need a sloooowwwww lead-in to the day and then I'm totally with fine with only a few hours at night.

WFH has been a dream bc I no longer have to spend hours in the morning trying to be useful when I'm not able to then staying late when I finally get in the groove and I'm honestly worried about what my work-life balance will be like when I have to go back in :(

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 7, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Powered Descent posted:

I'm still trying to figure out just when and how the standard 9-to-5 hours for an office job (ref: that Dolly Parton song) somehow got transmogrified into 8-to-5.

or 9am-6pm yeah.

Paid lunch hours? Lol go gently caress yourselves! GIVE IT TO US, THE EXTRA 5 WEEKLY HOURS.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
My boss assigned me a task this past Monday and told me I have until next Monday to do it. It's not a big thing, a few hours work, sure no problem.

But she's been checking in daily on it and since I said I havent done it yet, tomorrow she wants to have a meeting to 'check in on my progress' :psyduck: ok well I guess I'll get it done today! JFC if you wanted me to do it right away just say you wanted me to do it ASAP instead of hounding me!

'is there a reason you haven't done it yet? are you particularly busy???' I just prioritized it under other stuff because I thought it wasn't due yet! Also I'm having a lovely anxiety brain week! Yes I'm taking my time with it but you said I had until next week

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 14, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Roumba posted:

Horseshit deadlines are the worst part of any job.

Apart from the usual "This software sucks to use. How was this ever considered acceptable?" type stuff, it's probably my biggest source of stress.

it's pissing me off because I'm incredibly fast with client poo poo, I'm very definitely the fastest person here in terms of how I get poo poo done, to the point she told me she thinks I need to hold stuff back from the clients so I don't give them crazy expectations (wut).

but now I'm taking my time with an internal task where the people who will be reviewing it are out of town until next week and i'm being pressed on it.

i straight up asked her if she didn't trust me to do it or what and she was scandalized but said she didn't mean to make me feel watched over and retreated. probably a dumb thing to say because ya know, that's my boss and I should just get it done. so i'm doing it now. arghlll.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
how is it supposed to work - in what ways are they supposed to give up power and refuse? serious question.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Imagined posted:

Yeah, but I'm a 41 year old with an associate's degree in liberal arts. My previous job was the night shift at 7-Eleven. I'm constantly and daily aware that I basically won the lottery to even have a 9-to-5, M-F office job that provides health insurance for my entire family. I'm always one bad week away from being back in service industry hell, and I never forget that.

I also feel this way too and all I can say is, sorry friend - for me, the trauma of no safety net in capitalism drives this sort of existential anxiety and I have to work hard not to sink myself. The thought I could easily become homeless and no one would really care is upsetting. Not sure what else to say but: talk therapy helps.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Batterypowered7 posted:

"We know that there aren't forty hours of work a week. We will continue to pay you for forty hours worth of work but you will earn it by having to sit here not doing things you'd prefer to do."

I had a manager once justify this as 'availability is an asset' and I hate it, but it's true. It's so that when the need arrives, you're there and ready to go.

My boss has been complaining about losing this access to folks and if it weren't for Delta, we'd be back in the office right now.

I could wfh forever, I hate having to pretend to be busy more than anything on this earth

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I don't know why but the global economy getting upended by resource shortages leading to limitations in how much one can sell is just very funny to me

All anyone ever planned for was increasing amount of being able to produce and getting sales rolling ahead of that, but not the inevitability of the opposite eventually occurring

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Spatule posted:

If you ask a group of people you're gonna get different answers, not very useful. If you pull something out of your rear end that not a single one of them uses, you get to ride that high horse, much better.

:catstare: no, the fact that different people use different terms isn't an excuse to ignore those terms and use your own, and you know this. get outta here with this intellectually lazy bs.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
my company just changed gigantic and huge portions of its infrastructure and didn't schedule any trainings, just sent out pdfs/videos.

I loving hate that poo poo so much. if you have things you need people to know how to do, put aside the time in the schedule to train them on it. Allow them to interact with it in a safe space with an instructor first before suddenly needing to know it in emergencies and not being able to navigate it. Some people can learn with videos and reading, but some people need that neurotransmitter surge from interacting with another human being to commit it to memory. When we send kids to school, we don't just toss books in their hands and tell them good loving luck. That doesn't stop in adulthood, you don't magically get better at learning in a vacuum suddenly.

people who think providing a goddamn pdf on the company HR site is a suitable substitute for training have a special place in hell

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

AHH F/UGH posted:

Our company is getting so big, so fast and so spread out that we can’t send out trainers anymore so they consolidated everything into a lovely Learn site which is basically “PowerPoint on topic X and followed by 2-question test”, and if you’re required to do something it doesn’t mean poo poo if you just don’t care and never do it. No I am not taking a course on how to talk to customers because I don’t ever do that, and I don’t need it, so deal with it.

It rules. Previously we were forced to take afternoons like once every two months for some bullshit that didn’t matter. Great, thanks for letting me know that listen is an anagram for silent, which is how we should be in our cubicles, or something.

Oh, I love these things for say, work culture seminars and poo poo I'd like to ignore. But this is infrastructure stuff - they changed our entire timeclock system everyone uses every day, and didn't give any training.

It has been, as expected, a clusterfuck of epic proportions and now they're having to play catch up with folks to give individual trainings to managers between meetings because payroll hits this week.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
the benefit of office spaces for managers is being able to interrupt you at any time to divert your attention to what your manager deems a higher priority need

in the office, it's hard to avoid this because, well, they're loving standing there. the social pressure forces you to switch gears. but, when you're at home, you can just ignore calls and keep going and claim you were just 'head's down'.

personally, I like this and feel like it's given people more freedom and autonomy and people have actually become better workers, but to a certain type of manager that needs to be constantly triaging things and re-prioritizing needs (which is in itself exhausting), they can get very annoyed when they don't have that immediate response power and someone decides to work on X when they need Y.

it doesn't help that occasionally someone does make a really bad decision to disappear, or work on something that really isn't needed right now, justifying the manager's arguments they need to be controlling folks. if you want the most freedom - be smart and keep in touch with your managers, people. do not give anyone the ammo to say you're not responsive enough or not keeping in touch, that is when the iron grip comes.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
They're going to keep you at arms length forever, their interests are spending the least money possible, which means only committing to having you in the office at the latest possible moment, when it's absolutely clear they'll need someone. it's always going to be drip, drip, drip for work. as long as you put up with it, they'll keep you around, but from their perspective you're just one in a sea of temps and they have no reason to commit to you. sorry friend.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
No one is saying to alienate your employer, we're saying continuing to hold out hope that this temp agency is going to be the thing that saves you and gets you a stable gig is likely going to keep hurting you. Keep working there but mentally let go of caring about what they do, start looking for something else. Trying to find 'logic' or 'reasoning' in the reality that they're just not going to hire you is only going to make you constantly anxious looking for signs of rejection (or acceptance) and feeling lovely about yourself when you see other people achieving what you are aiming for.

I say this as someone who has 'permalanced' somewhere for a year-and-a-half hoping they'd hire me on as staff and ignoring all the blatant signs it was never going to happen. I invested waaaay too much blood, sweat, and tears trying to convince people who clearly didn't want me to hire me. Don't follow my path, friend. Nothing makes you feel more pathetic than sitting in a cocktail dress crying at your desk working alone while the rest of the office attends their annual holiday party that you thought you were invited to but it turns out they just wanted you to work through.

EDIT: Also, the work I did during that holiday party ended up meaning nothing because the person on the other end decided it was the holidays and gently caress it, they're not going to finish this stuff out. So they called me in to frantically do this stuff during the holidays that could have waited until January. Ugh what a goddamn idiot I was to try and keep working there for so long. You do not want these regrets!

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 15, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Outrail posted:

Might be bullshit but if not I love how the boss can't even try to be nice, or apologetic, or offer an inventive. Straight to the 'its your job to work when you're not supposed to be working'.

You need. I need.

Not one, 'I'm sorry to throw this at you' or 'Its your day off tomorrow but something happened, can you please come in?'. So entitled.

I noticed this too, this person went straight to trying to bully their employee, just trying to use the 'tell them, don't ask them, so they can't get out of it' routine that lovely bosses use.

A lot of these managers loving up are folks who think being a boss is the same as being a parent. They don't understand you need to treat people as peers and coworkers. Unsurprisingly, they're often the sort of person who thinks most things in politics can be solved by stating things firmly and 'drawing a hard line'.

Not a single one of these assholes is ever gonna read AskAManager to see themselves get dressed down, either.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 18, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
my boss constantly forgets conversations we've just had and I frequently have to remind her where we left things, and it's just because she's overworked so I try to have grace, but part of it is overworking herself bc she focuses on tiny poo poo and misses the big stuff and so it's a lot of grabbing her head and forcing it up from whatever small task she's dallying in to see the oncoming freight train and then she looks down again to continue her task and immediately forgets the freight train is coming

Lamech posted:

yes, please stop replying all I reply all in reply to the previous reply all messages about the futility of replying to all

you cannot stop the reply-all stop-replying vortex, it is eternal, if you find yourself in one double check if you've accidentally died and fallen into limbo

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Not only that, but sometimes managers with too much downtime will find an issue that becomes personal to them for some reason, a pet issue they get stubborn about forcing a process for. I can practically hear that manager mumbling 'well it shouldn't be getting that far along without the items being scanned properly! How can we force them to do it right the first time???' and thinking hobbling your ability to fix it after-the-fact will force people to adapt into being more careful during picking

Just lol

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Honestly, I manage creatives who aren't tech savvy and who are fairly stubborn, and IT emailing them a list of complicated instructions each time there's an infrastructure transition (which we've been having a lot of lately due to several mergers), it is a hilarious clusterfuck each time.

No matter how much I explain you can email these folks instructions and it won't do poo poo, they are busy and will ignore it and we should plan support for that happening, IT will still be like, nah this is it, the one way we do it, each Man is and Island, and we're still going to be shocked about it when this method of sending email blasts out doesn't work seamlessly and blame the users when the inevitable happens.

In the end, part of my job is to make enough noise to force IT to just remote into these folks desktops and make their computer go for them, rather than trying to teach them how to do it themselves, bc don't try and fix them into the end user you wish they'd be, I just need them working. loving A.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Agents are GO! posted:

"Look, I'm just gonna say the people I manage simply aren't going to do part of their job, because they don't like it. I'm going to be super obnoxious until you do their job for me. I am a good manager. "

Lol this is rich considering half the time these giant PDFs are an effort from IT to avoid doing their jobs and foisting it off onto the user instead.

IT is a support role, but it's full of people who work their hardest to not do any support.

Another name for users is the workers, the people who do that actual loving work, who grind out the product that is sold, and none of us would even have jobs if not for them.

We are the computer touchers whose roles are to be loving humble and support the workers, not spit in their faces and mock them because we couldn't offload a portion of our own tasks off to these folks.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 7, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Look I get it, being told that yelling at people to read a SharePoint site before you're willing to help them is lovely system planning is rough to hear. But you can do it. You can learn to do your jobs. I have faith in you.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh absolutely, but I'm coming from the perspective where we just had a major infrastructure change and IT's response has been not great. They not only weren't prepared and the whole thing has been breaking constantly the last few weeks, they've been super pissy at the users about it. They're clearly stressed out and I feel for them, but gently caress man don't take it out on us that it didn't work as expected. Just not a fun time, all around.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
This is of course a symptom of a bigger problem, which is that management runs IT too lean for them to often properly support the company. If I had a choice, I'd def get them more manpower. I'm just a lil guy keeping a small pod running, that's way above my pay grade.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Cthulu Carl posted:

A critical part of IT support is to educate users, so they can prevent or fix issues themselves, freeing up IT to handle other, more important break-fix issues or projects.

If users don't want to be educated to prevent downtime due to simple issues like "I lost my post-it with my password" or "I made everything on my screen big" then they're poo poo-rear end workers.

Of course, but there's knowing what the best way to educate someone is and adapting to that, instead of getting upset when they won't read your incredibly long pdf while on a deadline crunch.

If you're going to take it upon yourselves to be educators, then you must also be as flexible as educators are and understand that each person learns differently and some people need hands-on guidance. That doesn't make them stupid, it makes them human.

It also helps if you don't view the people you're teaching as scum.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
There's a lot more going on than that and the issues are actually separate but good job once again assuming you know poo poo without listening to people, IT guy.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm the manager not the creative, that's not how...that's...ok yeah sure alright. Good zing bro, you're so right, and sure yeah also I'm whatever manager you're projecting me to be, if that makes you feel better.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Got a new computer sent into the office by corporate IT bc my current model is a piece of poo poo that shuts down randomly, got told I can't have it because the local IT guy thought about it and they feel very sure if they give my 7 year old machine a troubleshoot they'll fix the issue and no need for any new machines how dare I.

My computer can barely run Teams, let alone Teams + other stuff.

Auuuuggghhhhhh

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

TheSpartacus posted:

What the hell is wrong with unplugging the drat thing until you or someone else replaces the battery?? I guess if your too lazy to replace the battery, you are also too lazy to turn it off.

Er....that's counter to how the whole idea of having an alarm works. If you put it aside to handle at a more convenient time, you may as well just not have an alarm. Because you can't...plan for when you need an alarm, it's an emergency device, it has to be on all the time to be useful. What if a fire occurs while it's unplugged? The whole idea is it exists to be vigilant to save your life, without that it's just a lump of plastic.

Jfc I know that there are people who just leave their fire alarms unplugged, but that is some nightmare fuel poo poo for us folks who live in apartment complexes. You have a responsibility to alert people of a potential fire not just for you, but for the people who live around you. Just keep some double fuckin' As around (this is what most consumer fire alarms take now to make it easier on folks, so no it's not even a weird-rear end 9v anymore unless it's old AF, and if it's that old it's time for a new one and they cost like $30-40 so there really is no excuse).

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 20, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I think it's less people don't give a poo poo about others (although that is part of it), as much as most people seem to exist in this hubris that the bad thing couldn't possibly happen to them or that their risk-taking is well-considered and balanced and not a risk (lol). Bad things happen to other people, not to me. After all, I've survived this long! What's a little risk with the fire alarm not working, it's not like I'm going to actually set a fire, ha-ha! This is a provision for idiots, of which I am clearly not. So it should apply to them to protect me from them, but they obviously don't need protection from me.'

The assumption that it's just other people who are the problem is the strangest part of humanity. Everyone will gripe about hating people, and few will cop to being a people.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
so I got so frustrated with all the stuff at my company I put in my resignation, talked with my manager, we agreed on my last day in early January (just about two weeks from now) to wrap out some things, pass my duties on, etc. I don't have no kids and some money saved so gently caress living life frustrated every day, I gotta move on.

they went above her head, and ended me yesterday because of 'security reasons'. poo poo is still undone, projects unfinished. talking with coworkers behind the scenes, they haven't assigned my infrastructure tasks (such as managing timesheets) to anyone else. Likely they've even forgotten I handled these things, as they only were hastily assigned to me in a one-line chat message after a previous co-workers resignation.

Good luck next pay cycle, assholes. I was trying to be nice and wrap it all out for you and make sure none of that poo poo got dropped like it did last time, gently caress.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 22, 2021

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeh I know the old rule, I figured since they actually needed poo poo done they wouldn't pull the rug out from under me, but welp. there ya go. i was foolish.

and they have already started calling, lol

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
what if they don't have a desk? why should it be on the employee to have a home office set-up if they aren't a freelancer or contractor?

relying on the grace of folks being successful enough to have extra space and furniture is some privileged-assumption poo poo

your response as a manager should never be to judge the lifestyles of those you are managing and assume they should have something, it's to listen to what they need to do the work and get them help with that

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'who gets a whole-rear end desk from their workplace' people who ask do, jerk.

get them the desk, and stop thinking they're being entitled for standing up for their needs because you think they should be satisfied with the pittance they're getting, that's some loving Bad Manager brain worms

this person is doing the work you need for the business to go, and it's a worker shortage, dumb-dumb. if they are a good worker, you're shooting yourself in the foot denying them a needed resource over....your perception of what is appropriate to request? which appears to be very off-base for what is actually appropriate for folks to request and warped by your delight in simply having power over someone. you're here posting in glee over cock-blocking this desk request thing.

why are there so many petty tyrants as managers jfc

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 5, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'the bad news is bill quit and we're losing money until we replace him, but the good news is, we're saving a couple hundo on not buying a piece of office furniture!'

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Motronic posted:

That doesn't give them a free pass. Constructive dismissal and similar are absolutely a thing, and wildly changing expectations and responsibilities is something to talk to an labor attorney about. If nothing else they won't be able to deny your unemployment benefits.

A friend of mine was working as a receptionist at an eye doctor place and the doctor kept escalating his demands of unreasonable personal assistant poo poo she do for him, to the point he brought in his dry cleaning and other laundry and tailor tasks for her to handle. She quit over that since it wasn't in her job description to be handling his personal affairs like this and it was only getting worse.

What would you say if I told you her unemployment benefits were denied AND the unemployment office sided with the doctor in the internal appeals hearing, because her job description noted that her duties were subject to change and update lol.

Welcome to the USA. Come stay a while but he careful not to get hurt or you'll go into medical bankruptcy! Just having a totally normal time for a supposedly developed industrialized nation.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 14, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yes because receptionists who got rejected for unemployment have the time and money to spend pursuing such things, rather than desperately finding a new job and diving into that wholeheartedly to get some income going ASAP.

When the onus is on the terminated employee to get a lawyer and follow things through as enforcement, it basically means the side with more of both of those (employers) can game the system against individuals.

I'm welcoming you to the country bc apparently you get to live in a very small, protected bubble of people whose employment rights seem to be respected, which is great for you but definitely not most of the country.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 15, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
There's a particular type of naive person that cries THATS ILLEGAL when bad poo poo goes down in various industries, and it's very cute because sure on paper these things are, but what matters here is enforcement, which relies on the victims spending resources to even begin to seek justice. Unless YOU are gonna put your money where your mouth is and foot the bill for their legal defense to pursue an issue, shut upppp and staaahp telling exploited people that they'd just be protected if they lawyered up. It's wonderful when someone can, phenomenal, but a lot of people just have to move onto the next gig and call it a lesson learned.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 15, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

CarForumPoster posted:

Have you ever hired an employment plaintiffs lawyer in the US? They basically all work on contingency. A very high percentage of single plaintiff L&E lawsuits settle with some payout to the plaintiff.

So yes it takes time and energy “resources” and to give up some of the payout, but by hours spent for the average American it is much higher than their hourly rate.

The actual bill for their representation is usually 0, except maybe the $400 filing fee in some cases.

Yeah if you're in the middle class and higher with a soft hands computer toucher job this is something you can do and you'll likely be successful. If your shirts already have white collars, you're fine.

If you're a retail worker (which a receptionist at a doctor's office is considered) or gig worker this is not the case, both because of how these jobs work and also because time = money in a way where folks living on the edge of poverty can't afford to pursue these things due to the fact that it takes time where they could be doing another job that earns them money. Not because of the literal money they're spending on a lawyer but because that is time that can be spent on the next gig. This is what I meant by the 'resources'. When your life is constant hustle, you're gonna concentrate on survival, not trying to 'punish the bad guys'.

This poo poo is like 'why didn't she report the rape' and you should feel lovely trying to blame the victims just bc YOU are lucky enough to be protected.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's more that I hate when people in comfortable positions assume it works the same for everyone else, because then change can't happen. I have to see the effects of these things on lots of people because I manage lots of folks who have no protections as 'gig workers' and who have to wonder paycheck to paycheck if this is their last due to the industry I work in. I'm actually helping build a union but lol at you calling the hopeful organizer defeatist just for acknowledging the reality of those I organize for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Keep your bloviating on what you think would help people to yourself, I'm listening to the actual people being victimized and working to make systematic change based on their input and needs. You live in a system which works for you and that's nice for you, but it doesn't mean you know how to help those left behind by the system.