Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I work for a small home decor retail company with two stores. They recently moved to a new inventory management system from the old one that was "copyright 1997-2003" and changed how they defines SKUs.

Everything in sku #123-45-67 has the same basic structure, but the material and finish can be totally different. We might order 8 red chairs with white wood and 8 leather ones with brown wood, and they would all be under the same sku. Each individual piece gets an inventory number (this one red chair shares sku number 123-45-67 but gets inv number 3210; 3211 might be another red chair, or it could be a vase, just depends when the po went through) but there is no grouping of identical items whatsoever. The only way to know which inventory numbers go with the red ones and which go with the leather ones is by looking at the details of each item and comparing the fabric and finish names one by one.

Part of my job is to photograph all the inventory, and since I don't want to take 8 pictures of identical chairs, I have to take one and then hunt down all the matching ones in the new-but-still-lovely software that logs you out after 15 minutes and can't be open in multiple tabs.

And if we decide to order more with the same options in a few months, the only thing that will stop me from taking new photos is if I just happen to remember these are repeats. I have no idea how the sales team puts up with this poo poo when someone asks for a set of dining chairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I just remembered a dumb thing my old employer did. One year they decided to give everyone a Christmas bonus. It was great! Everyone got $500, and then an additional $500 that they had to give to other coworkers in $100 increments (everyone privately emailed their picks to HR). So if everyone hated you, you at least got $500, and if you were helpful to everyone, you could get a boatload. The next year, both amounts were dropped to $300, which was disappointing but I was still happy.

The third year (and last year I worked there), the guaranteed amount was removed entirely, so essentially the company gave everyone $300 and said "give it to someone else and hope." There were several people who just didn't get anything, not because they weren't liked, but because they weren't anyone's top 3 favorite people, which then made everyone feel bad. It would've been better for morale if they hadn't given anyone anything.