Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hyrax Attack! posted:

they also make a podcast only for our dept (not even all of the corporate office) that has listeners in the low double digits.

I’m amazed it’s that high, who would want to listen to a podcast about work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Back when I worked in the lab, I was browsing SA and checked out the innocuous sounding “keyboard goop” thread

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gin_Rummy posted:

I work......... with a guy........ who writes......... all his emails............ like this.........

You think you've endured eye twitching?

I work with someone who cannot communicate anything without writing a novella length email: it takes a good five minutes to read even the simplest requests, and often it could be summed up as “let’s offer customer x this price, can you approve?”

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

thathonkey posted:

needs more agile

I only recently experienced working on an “agile” project. I have come to the conclusion that the name was given by someone with a heightened sense of irony.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Elephant Ambush posted:

What you described is not Agile.

Is a 500 line Excel sheet with cells filled with paragraphs of UAT criteria agile? Because it really sucks.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Atopian posted:

Why don't more companies try to restructure their bonus/commission structure to make Sales less... Sales?

Because regardless of the bonus structure, employees will instantly find the quickest and easiest way to game the system and get the most out of it for the least work. Which is, in fact, the correct ethical approach. So you have to make it so that the sales commission broadly aligns with the company goals, otherwise the sales team will achieve their targets to the detriment of the wider company.

We have a couple of glaring issues with our bonus structure, and the people higher up in the business seem completely puzzled as to why the sales teams are hitting their targets, but the directors (who are targeted differently) are not.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubnormalityStairs posted:

That is an absolute sack of lies sold to you by management. I've found that, as long as I trust my team and let them do their jobs without looking over their shoulders, my volume of work is typically lower than it was when I was an individual contributor.

I agree with this. Although I have less control over my diary, because I am involved in a lot of multi-function calls, my actual workload has decreased since moving into management. I generally trust my team to do their jobs, and they generally do them without too much intervention.

The main "work" I now have to do is nudging team members in the right direction, escalating things where they are stuck, and push the high performers towards opportunities for development and promotion.

Most of my time is actually spent on calls with other functions in the business, explaining to them why the sales team already does too much work, and that we need to employ more customer services types to take care of the boring bits that don't require any skill, just time and resource.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I love VBA, mostly because I used it to automate large parts of my job so that I could spend more time at home with my kids.

Edit: and when I’ve got drunk enough at work things to talk about it, I’ve then taught it to people who have the balls to ask me

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I quite like my commute to work, but that’s because it is a peaceful time for me to read my book on the train, when I can’t get emails or be bothered by my kids.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I mainly miss my commute because it's part of my working day, and I get paid to do it. In the before times, I worked from home some days, went to customer site on other days, often on a train, which meant I got paid to sit and read if there were no emails coming in.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don't really understand why any business would want to have people working in an office. Surely keeping a fancy office is a massive expense? Wouldn't it be better to have a smaller office that people can book for meetings etc. but then let them work from home the rest of the time? I generally trust my team to do their jobs, and I have very clear and obvious metrics that would show if they weren't.

I'm guessing that the concern is that people will slack off without having someone over their shoulder the entire time, but I don't care if they achieve what they need to in a few hours and spend the rest of their day playing video games or looking after their kids or whatever, as far as I'm concerned, they're paid for the results they get, not the hours they do to achieve those results.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

VileLL posted:

what the gently caress is salesforce

It’s waaaaaay better than the Excel spreadsheet I used to keep all my customer/supplier contacts on, and makes it a lot easier to check that you have enough coming in to hit your target.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

boar guy posted:

a thousand business cards in the most obnoxious design possible, for me, an employee that works off site, doesn't attend trade shows, and doesn't meet vendors or clients

this is what happens when your VP of marketing last went to college in 1994

Are those ... square business cards?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Imagined posted:

The worst voicemail of all time is "Just checking if you got my email." We should be allowed one free pass per lifetime to murder someone who sent a voicemail like that.

What, that free pass doesn’t exist? This is very concerning.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Darkest Auer posted:

I have never heard of anyone ever using or listening to voicemail, isn't that like asking someone to send a fax?

I literally never return calls from anyone who isn't my boss unless they leave a voicemail. 90% of the time, they've found someone else who can solve their problem by the time I get to my phone, and if they don't leave me a voicemail, I assume it wasn't a problem only I could solve and they have the brains to find someone who isn't busy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

old bean factory posted:

I get an email when there's free breakfast rolls in the lunch room. That's definitely high priority.

I get emails from the canteen in the head office, telling me what the specials are for the day.

I work from home, my region is 200 miles from head office, I really don’t care what soup they’re having.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

boar guy posted:

where in the hell has a canteen any more, anyway? do you work remote IT at the department store from are you being served?

We make deliveries around the clock, if there weren’t a canteen our warehouse staff would probably all quit for any of the many other hub delivery sites in the midlands.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If someone doesn’t leave a voicemail, the call wasn’t important enough to warrant me talking to them.

I can listen to my voicemail while doing other things: usually churning through emails and approvals.

If someone does leave a voicemail, if they don’t give me any details bar “call me back” and they’re not my boss, I’ll wait until they send me an email with the details, because I can’t be sure that calling them back is a productive use of my time.

If someone leaves a voicemail that outlines the problem they need my help with, I can spend five minutes before I call them back putting together the solution and making sure that no-one’s time is wasted.

I have loads of demands on my time, if I did all the things that I was asked to do by the various people who want my input, I’d never actually get my job done.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I run my team “nimble”.

What this means is that every so often I throw them into a pit with a tiger in it, and they have to come up with a novel sales solution before I’ll lower a rope.

It’s remarkably productive.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Zarin posted:

I just hate that I WANT to help people, but I pretty much HAVE to balance helping others against "well if I help them then I'm not gonna get my poo poo done" and you end up with this weird dichotomy where the people who help others are probably more valuable to the enterprise as a whole, but the people who DON'T help others and just focus on their own metrics are the ones that get promoted.

Business is a sham.

I’m not sure it’s as simple as that: I want to help people who genuinely need my help, but if I tried to do every single thing that people ask me to do (many of which are not my job, could be better and more easily done by someone else, or could even be solved by that person themselves if they took the initiative) I wouldn’t have time to solve the problems that really need my input.

By putting a small barrier to entry on getting me to pay attention to a problem, it weeds out the people who are just too lazy to look up who the right person to call is.

There’s definitely a balance, because the people who aren’t helpful and only focus on their own KPIs don’t get very far (at least not in my organisation) because everyone knows they’re not focused on anything but themselves, which is completely toxic for a team.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

When I lived in America, I got 15 days paid leave a year, and the expectation was that I wouldn’t take it all.

My boss got very cross with me for taking a whole week over Christmas.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don’t understand why American businesses are so opposed to time off. All the evidence shows that people are more productive when they take holiday time, not less.

Part of me thinks it’s to create a culture where employees are so cowed and oppressed by their employers that they develop Stockholm syndrome.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Domus posted:

At least at my company, there is no backup whatsoever for many tasks. If someone calls off sick or takes vacation, the work just doesn’t get done. They can’t afford that.

They refuse to learn from experience as well. Our lead billing person for the entire company quit unexpectedly. It’s still causing clusterfucks every day that make us look hilariously unprofessional. Are they going to have more people learn to cover the lead billing tasks? No, they don’t have time to do that, and there’s no one to do their tasks if they stopped to train anyway.

Aaaah, you’re talking about lean.

Employing exactly the right number of people to do the job as it is right now.

When anyone going on holiday, being ill, or leaving for any reason means you suddenly become woefully understaffed.

When an unexpected small surge in demand means every single customer doesn’t get what they want because you don’t have the staff to cope with anything outside the exact average workload.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

honda whisperer posted:

I've sat in on a few interviews at work and "I don't know i would research it on the internet" was a straight to the top of the pile answer. Knowledge is great but being able to teach yourself is gold.

We have a similar one when I’m interviewing people: “How would you find out about your customer’s research area?” People say a whole range of things, like they’d Google it, read research papers, check out LinkedIn etc.

I always say there are no right and wrong answers, but in this case there is. Hardly anyone ever says “I’d ask the customer”

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ugly In The Morning posted:

In the past three weeks, I have had to put terminations and final written warnings in for a ton of people because of poo poo like this, the site I’ve been at really is a total mess.
-Someone climbed on the bins that they pick product in trying to find a specific one. Fully upright walking on a one inch metal beam six feet up. Under his manager’s direction. While the person a step above him but under the manager walked backwards into an active forklift/order picker lane, about four feet from a moving picker.
-Same person then crashed an order picker into a rack while looking the opposite direction from the way they were driving. And drive off. A process assistant saw it and didn’t report it.
-walked a third party janitor off the site for picking up a forklift with a forklift. His wife quit as well and told the HR lady to “meet her outside” so she could “slice her up”.
-Someone blew through a crosswalk without stopping in an order picker. They swerved while they were doing it, because they were texting while driving and nearly hit the stop sign.
-Someone sat in a cart for product while her sister pushed her around the building. She was wholly under the railings and would not, could notaccept that she could have slid out.
-Some trailer fuckery that while egregiously bad and something that was routinely brought up as a Do Not Do This thing, is also really fuckin boring.

That’s in twelve work days. 3 terminations, something like 8 final writtens.

The Aristocrats!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I work at a machine shop and our company says normal corrective eye glasses count as eye protection. I am not entirely convinced because I took a droplet of coolant in the eye today while air gunning the chuck in between parts. That could have easily been a metal chip. I think I am going to invest in some wraparound goggles for days that I’m not wearing contacts/real safety glasses.

You can get prescription safety specs, and depending on where you work, your employer might pay for them.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Shen Long posted:

How else are these managers going to live out their lovely authoritarian fantasy?

But I don’t understand why managers give a gently caress? Don’t they realise that they are also a cog in an uncaring machine, and that as long as the tasks are accomplished, it doesn’t matter how long it takes or where it is done?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If anything, we’ve had the opposite. The training used to be “yeah, yeah, your manager will sort something out”, whereas now we have a whole suite of virtual training calls and we make sure people actually know what our company does before we unleash them on the unsuspecting public.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

fisting by many posted:

power off his computer without quitting or saving, relying on Office's emergency backups to preserve his work.

What the actual gently caress. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t obsessively hit ctrl+s every five minutes to avoid losing work, this guy has obviously never worked on anything that was personally important to him.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I had one that was even simpler than that: we now require two factor identification for most things on our network, which is fine for the most part, but when I had a new hire, he couldn’t access his work emails for a week because IT kept sending the authorisation code he needed to his work email

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is that a situation for “pinging” an email?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

There was a rumour a while ago that IT were going to take admin rights away from the sales team, and the thing that stopped it was the overwhelming negative feedback that people said they would consider going to a competitor if they did it.

I can’t imagine not having admin rights to my work laptop, it would genuinely make my working day unbearable.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am not a computer toucher by trade, but it depends what you're using it for.

That spec looks like it would be "good" for me, in that all I need is to be able to read emails, do lots of Excel calculations and video conferencing.

To be completely honest, the thing I like most about my current laptop is that I can take the keyboard off and use it as a tablet.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

“What are you concerned about WHEN returning to the office?” definitely sounds like a consultation and not a fait accompli

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Elephant Ambush posted:

Scrum Master or Product Owner or Agile Coach

Do you remember when words were used to communicate meaning, instead of to baffle people into thinking that you were doing something special and different?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scrum masters are hookers

IT IS A RUGBY JOKE

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Ziv Zulander posted:

For every bullshit problem you solve at work I have to deal with one elderly person who is sobbing their eyes out because they’ve lived beyond their usefulness

So you work from home?

:drat:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Kanban specifically was from Toyota, and it's the only "agile" approach I've implemented. It was really needed at the time and helped a lot, but then I dropped it like a hot potato when that particular project was done.

Kanban predates Agile by several decades, and you can tell, because it's actually useful and used where it should be, as opposed to Agile which is currently trendy and being used in places that it shouldn't. I don't disagree that an Agile process might work in some places, but it is currently being used completely inappropriately because it is fashionable.

I am on an "Agile" project at the moment, and it is stultifyingly slow and cripplingly bureacratic, because the project we are working on is not just a pure IT problem, and is being managed by salespeople who don't really understand what Agile is supposed to look like.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You can also read his essay for free at STRIKE!

https://www.strike.coop/bullshit-jobs/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Imagined posted:

It's all well and good except for the part where you project this attitude that you feel superior to other people who don't do what you consider "actual work". Who the hell are you to decide whether other people do "actual work"?

For one thing, most "actual work" couldn't exist today without the technology and finance enabled and supported by the computer touchers and administrators you think are less essential than you. It's one thing for me to come on here and say MY job is bullshit and shouldn't exist, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to someone else say it without telling them to go take a long walk off a short pier.

You sound like a very secure and well adjusted person.