Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I figure there’s someone who would get what an awful mistake I made here.

So I went from hardware engineering QA to web QA.

I have been asked to implement a QA standard similar to where I worked for. The developers do not speak English and the senior QA and developer don’t either and regularly have back channel conversations in Malayam which I find out when the users ping me directly and ask me why something is broken, or try to submit a feature request under the guise it’s a big. The owner treats all these as high priority and directly asks me why I can’t find all the bugs in the software with no documentation ever. Their plan is to do manual testing on everything for every release* to be defined by the development head behind this poo poo who I report to

Never do web QA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Dameius posted:

Why in the world would you have wanted to do Web QA in the first place? How many zeros did they put on that check?

More than EI (or UI as you call it) would. I really have to agree with OP here: it will drive you mad if you’re used to industries where QA is seen as peer to development and everything else

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Crackbone posted:

I’m shocked they didn’t just fire him. Every place Ive worked, IT security’s power evaporates as soon as it’s inconvenient for a VP.

Probably because they are in a regulated industry where security audits and compliance are a real loving deal. Like there will be consequences measured in millions for security slip ups

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cheesus posted:

Avoid streaming, use Google Safe Folder on your personal phone.

If you are posting here you probably know about yt-dlp and that it works on any site as well

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Outrail posted:

I'm really not okay with Microsoft deciding windows 10 needed to include copilot in a random update.

Get your poo poo off my machine, it's for excel, chrome and lovely programs designed over 10 years ago only.

Oh God no - the April feature update?

Love too have to do registry editing to keep AI crap off my computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ravus Ursus posted:

The hedge fund consultant is trying to turn a 15mb excel file used for supply forecasting into an excel front end that uses SQL to the same end.

He's trying to figure out replenishment metrics on over 2000 skus, of which maybe 1200 are regular and the rest are one time orders for seasonal stuff.

He asked me if we used LiFo or FiFo for inventory cost. I told him it's average cost. He asked me which that falls under. I'm pretty sure he's asking chatgpt what all our terms mean, which is a mistake because we don't use those terms correctly because all of 3 people in this company of 75ish have every worked in a company that made more than 100mil a year and have any idea what they're going.

I've been thanked profusely for being able to generate reporting for his project because it's really good, omg this is everything in one report instead of 3 reports for 2 different systems.

It's a default stock ledger report that I added a filter to.

To continue helping I've been spending the past week making an automated loot generator in Google sheets to convert Diablo 1 loot into Pathfinder 2e. Currently trying to figure out an alternative to nested if statements that are like 20 layers deep. Probably need to have vlookups across multiple tables or something.

Depending on what language is most likely excel I might get a cert in that after this.

Also it's BBQ day tomorrow.

This seems like a VBA job

Also when you write it password protect the sheet