Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Unless you are jobless or live in your own filth collecting dogecoin all day for your 40k miniatures, you are probably working for a company/someone else. This thread is to complain about the dumb poo poo your management does and makes you do. I've got a couple to start with.

1. Whenever we make an engineering change against design documentation we have to create "change pages" detailing what things are changing. The problem is, we are not given engineering tools. So we have to make drawing changes in MS Paint, write out a detailed description the best we can, or if you wanna get real fancy, use something free like draw.io. These change pages then all get applied to the applicable drawings (as attached files), and once they reach a certain threshold (like maybe 5 to 10 changes) a designer who actually DOES have engineering drawing tools, will incorporate the changes the best they can to the original diagrams/schematics. It may take more than a decade to actually reach the threshold, even though the change pages are official changes to the design. So in the meantime the field has to review the original documentation and get all of the change pages and spread them out like they're trying to solve a cold case murder by connecting the evidence, and determine what the actual current configuration should be. Yes there are errors made.

2. There has been an ongoing company anti-phishing campaign, where IT is essentially trying to trap employees into clicking email links they shouldn't, so that they can be publicly humiliated by their peers. Which is fine. However, every time a fake phishing email gets sent out, it's followed by other emails from leadership in our management chain to everyone telling us to NOT CLICK THAT LINK IN xxxxxx EMAIL. It kind of defeats the purpose of trying to increase awareness of the Dangers of the Internet, and to always have your guard up. I guess it doesn't seem to matter though because there's always some boomer clicking the fake phishing links, despite the dire external email header warning and the numerous emails from leadership warning of the email. They're probably thinking they missed their USPS delivery of medications or something, who knows. What is comical about it is our Cyber Security department has the worst metric for falling for these fake phishing attempts in the company.

Let's hear some dumb stuff that I can laugh about and continue to ignore my work duties. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

A Fancy Hat posted:

I had a zoom meeting last month and for the first 10 minutes they played music and told everyone to dance. Like a half dozen people were doing it (out of a few hundred) and they just kept that music on loop for the whole time. At the end of the meeting they said they didn't have enough "dance footage" and told everybody to put their cameras on.

Most of the meeting was talking about how we aren't getting raises or bonuses this year despite having one of the most profitable quarters in company history.

Those same people started dancing again.

Ah yes we too have had virtual celebration. Gotta love hearing a manager say enthusiastically so what is everyone excited about for our accomplishments this past year?

I think someone coughed but uncomfortable silence from 75+ people is funny. Another manager saved him.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Are we sure we don't all work at the same place

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

DickParasite posted:

A few months ago we spent a half day doing mandatory Office 365 training. In case you're wondering you open a Word file exactly the same way you did in Office 2016.

We had the same thing. But there are old people at my company that are very scared of the move, and everything in general. These are the same people who work everything out of their C drive and then when the computer dies or they retire and IT takes the PC all of the work is lost.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Friend posted:

I work for a small home decor retail company with two stores. They recently moved to a new inventory management system from the old one that was "copyright 1997-2003" and changed how they defines SKUs.

Everything in sku #123-45-67 has the same basic structure, but the material and finish can be totally different. We might order 8 red chairs with white wood and 8 leather ones with brown wood, and they would all be under the same sku. Each individual piece gets an inventory number (this one red chair shares sku number 123-45-67 but gets inv number 3210; 3211 might be another red chair, or it could be a vase, just depends when the po went through) but there is no grouping of identical items whatsoever. The only way to know which inventory numbers go with the red ones and which go with the leather ones is by looking at the details of each item and comparing the fabric and finish names one by one.

Part of my job is to photograph all the inventory, and since I don't want to take 8 pictures of identical chairs, I have to take one and then hunt down all the matching ones in the new-but-still-lovely software that logs you out after 15 minutes and can't be open in multiple tabs.

And if we decide to order more with the same options in a few months, the only thing that will stop me from taking new photos is if I just happen to remember these are repeats. I have no idea how the sales team puts up with this poo poo when someone asks for a set of dining chairs.

So there's a likely possibility that the inventory is really messed up. Probably a lot of one offs or odd amount of any one option that's gonna sit around forever.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Oh hahaha. Ya mattec. I love running the coms cable right up tight to the main 3ph 1000amp bus bar. Saves a bunch of space and looks better.

As a controls engineer this makes me shudder.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Someone got hurt working from home so we had a briefing where they taught us how to sit in chairs and open drawers.

vvvv they cut their hand vvvv

Full Metal Jackass fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 1, 2021

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

A Fancy Hat posted:

My boss has been my boss for roughly 3 years now. I have never met him in person and for the last 8 months he hasn't had a single conference call or meeting with our group. I've spoken to him for about a combined 3 hours in the entire time I've worked for him.

Over the summer we were supposed to give him our feedback on his management, he just made up all the responses and sent them to corporate. When somebody questioned him he said he didn't want to tie us up with a pointless meeting. So he gave himself good to average feedback and claimed it was from us, and the only reason we found out was because they emailed us "our" feedback to review after the fact.

All of this would be fine except for the fact that he finally chose this past Friday to wake up and "manage" us, by replying to a group email discussing our Friday night plans (which ranged from "I'm gonna drink a beer" to "I'm going to drink a glass of wine") by saying it was wildly inappropriate and a misuse of Company (his capitalization, not mine) email.

Lord I pray for a boss that would be non-existent.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Tetramin posted:

We use Webex teams for chat and my group is the only one in the company who has IM, which I absolutely love, not getting daily requests over IM from someone who thought to look me up in the chat system.

My shithead new coworker has a weird hard on for Jabber and has been pushing to deploy it company wide. I will never, ever open up jabber if they go through with it, I’ll uninstall it every morning if I need to.

I use jabber everyday. Oh and also teams. And webex. This is my life.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Riatsala posted:

The General Manager decided that this all sounded pretty "faggoty" and went back to napping in his office. I got canned a week later, also for being "faggoty" (technically accurate, but not the term I prefer) but there was still 2 months on the contract so they had to cut me a check for all of it on my way out the door.

Uh what the hell?

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Without knowing your situation, that did sound like it had sexist undertones, even before I read your last part where your actual manager mentioned it. It reeked of it tbh

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

genericuser posted:

As a result of a re-org devised by madman, I report to three separate directors. They all scheme against each other and refuse to speak to the other two directors.

Generally, they tell me to pay lip service to the other director’s objectives and focus on their projects.

It’s like Office Space without Jennifer Aniston.

We reorged at my company too to save money and become more cost efficient. The general staffing structure is frontline-> supervisor -> department manager -> director -> VP. We have many department managers and directors without reports. They don't fire or demote people. They keep cutting down frontline and having sections do more with less but high six figure salaried managers remain around for "special projects" or other nonsense. These are people that should have very many reports under them. We have an anonymous reporting ability in our corrective action system where frontline employees keep pointing this out but they keep getting closed lol.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Forced move to onedrive - check
Lock everyone out of older network drive before getting to move files over - check

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

There's a bunch of people absolutely throwing a fit about having a 10 year retention limit for files on the new onedrive. I guess it's based off of each file's last modified date. So to satiate the crowd they are asking IT if there is some kind of script they can run to mass modify every file's last modified by date, once they allow all the boomers access back to the network drive to move over their gigs worth of year 2000s PDF'd emails they've never opened in 15 years.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Lazyfire posted:

My company moved to Office 365 a few weeks back and just started encouraging people use Microsoft Planner to set up action items, road maps and what not.

From 9 to 1 today I got 500 emails because someone sent out a test message from a Planner group and used the all Business Unit distribution. Somehow every response to the email was sent to the distribution, even if you didn't hit the reply all option. The first few responses were "received" or whatever and others were "I don't know why I'm on this list." It quickly devolved into 40 point bold font "STOP HITTING REPLY ALL!" and people admonishing everyone for their bad email etiquette and then some people just complaining everyone was flooding their inboxes.

Hail satan

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

~Coxy posted:

We're a cool, hip, carefree company! Feel free to have a beverage during the meeting!

(Yeah, thanks for giving me permission to drink one of my own beers)

My job is WFH right now but they do a thing where they randomly call you up to come in for a drug and alcohol test during work hours. Once you answer the phone and engage in convo they spring it on you and you have 2 hours to come in and take the test, otherwise it counts as a failed test. This has gotten two people fired so far for failed breathalyzer (has to be 0.0).

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

CarForumPoster posted:

I have to know, what job can be done WFH that would have this as a requirement?

Nuclear power.

1redflag posted:

Just don’t answer the phone. So simple

One time I didn't answer the phone so my boss called me on teams and I didn't answer the teams call so he messaged me saying "it shows you're online???" Woops.

Full Metal Jackass fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 12, 2021

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Theres many people at my job who have meetings the entire day. I'm not aware of them producing a single thing though. They are making a career out of meetings and "staying engaged." God bless em

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

InternetJunky posted:

I'm currently on a project that is in a phase where we have to have 6-8 hours of meetings a day with the customer and then another 6-8 hours a day of actual work. It's just the reality of how these things work and I, and my fellow co-workers, have seen this cycle many times and accept it. This week we were under a crazy deadline to finish up our main deliverable, and had just left a meeting where we were told by a project manager "do whatever it takes because this deadline isn't going to move." We went into our next meeting, where a newer employee who wasn't part of the previous conversation asked "when I book my time do I just put in 8 hours for the day or do I put in the actual 12-14 hour number?" The same project manager responded "you should not be working more than 8 hours a day, you are expected to maintain a healthy work/life balance."

Even though I know that's code for "you put in 8 hours you stupid fool" it was still pretty maddening to hear those two statements back-to-back like that. I really wish more tech folks weren't so anti-union.

This isn't a salaried position?

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

To work through a specific process at my job, you need no less than 4 procedures open that guide you through the administrative part and requirements for the final documents. You need more open if working on slight variations of this process or if it's more complex, which is common. The procedures are complicated and intertwine steps between one another both directly and indirectly. They randomly get revised to fix issues or change requirements so you have to follow through the latest revisions each time closely. The people that own and write these procedures haven't done the process in many years so this ends up with conflicting procedures or steps that simply won't work.

This year we are adding a new procedure to the mix.

Efficiency is not the name of the game.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

InternetJunky posted:

You guys are making me feel super self-conscious about my emailing now.

Just don't end emails to coworkers with "respectfully yours" or I'll think you're a dumbass.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Tarkus posted:

One thing I hate is when people make their email signature a page long like putting announcements for deals and stuff from their company along with 15 forms of contact. Some mail clients hide the signatures properly, some don't, so sometimes I have to see the see the same page of text over and over again as a scroll through a thread. Name, Company, position and 2-3 forms of contact at most is all that's needed. Oh and wildly varying colored text and fonts bug me too.

What about people with multiples quotes in their signature? Or the admin who makes her email background a watermark of flowers. Then that flowerly background stays for subsequent replies and pretty soon you have a director sending emails with flowery backdrop lol

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

remigious posted:

Email etiquette is simple, and based on your position in the company. Lowest on the totem pole? You had better have meticulously crafted emails that are super polite. VP? Can respond with “k thx” or not at all!

Email reply from a director or above to you after you pour tons of effort and research into an email full of requested info:

"k thx

Get Outlook for iOS"

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Lol at signing off with "warmly".

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

To all,

This morning the bathroom on the 2nd floor flooded and all staff is advised to relocate to another building or work remotely, as a health hazard has been declared. It will take a few days for cleanup and sanitation due to sewage backup.

Warmly,
Department Management

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

My manager tried to deactivate the fire alarm when there was an active fire in the building.

This is the good poo poo right here.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Ngl, Frank is kind of a badass.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Time_pants posted:

This is violence.

It triggered me and when I finally forgot about it you brought it back up.

:argh:

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Received a thank you card for employee appreciation in the physical mail. :waycool:

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

At my work place you have to fail horribly and cost the companies thousands/millions to move up.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

Because of our structure, we literally cannot move faster than our slowest member. Every phase of a project must be reviewed and approved by at least one specific person and they can't seem to grok that we are all waiting on them to click a button.
I've shown them numerous times, written them a workflow guide, shown them how important it is to do review right away but they will not do it unless we get on their case three times or so.

This latest time they got bitchy about it saying, "Just move on to the next phase and I'll get my approvals done when I can."
MOTHERFUCKER WE LITERALLY CAN'T. THE SYSTEM WON'T ALLOW IT TO GO FORWARD WITHOUT YOUR APPROVAL.

If it's even slightly important or time sensitive I don't even mess with these people anymore. I immediately get their management involved to compel them.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Saalkin posted:

I'm currently in a big rear end teams meeting for my department and their talking about privacy poo poo and gently caress I'm not paying attention to this trash.

The person presenting in my team's meeting right now has apologized because we can very clearly hear his cat attacking its scratching post/home thingy but he won't move rooms.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Every project has change orders.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

A contract company writes the spec, for an AE to do the project, which has aspects farmed out to smaller contract companies. What could go wrong? Oh right, the customer getting something that doesn't work.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Outrail posted:

But did they get what they ordered?

Lol

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

My boss on Monday: Hey, get this in by the end of Friday. I won't have time to review it until next week.

My boss on Wednesday: WHY HAVEN'T YOU ENTERED IN ANYTHING?!?!

I hate this stuff. Procedurally we have corrective action program due dates that differ depending on significance. But then we get hounded constantly to be completed on dates much earlier than what is in our procedures due to "metrics." Each group wants to look better than the others on the metrics charts during the management meetings. I have had the argument more than once that if they want those dates then put them in the procedure. It's the Office Space pieces of flare argument in real life.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

illionaire posted:

I was in an online meeting today and when the presenter shared their screen I saw the Something Awful forums on their browser's shortcuts page. I just want that person to know that I know their shameful secret.

This is a mystery that must be solved.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Just got an email from our CNO that someone got fired for charging HUNDREDS of unearned PTO hours. Our payroll system also requires leader approval for time exception like PTO. The email states the leader was approving the hours and didn't ensure the individual had accrued them. We get like 120 hours a year and cant roll it over so this leader is an absolute dipshit or in on the scam and gets no repercussion. I'm sure they'll be promoted soon.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

I hate giving estimates on when something will be done because the easy part is controlling my portion. The difficulty is trying to compel everyone else to do their part to finish the project. So I'm always so wishy washy on that. I'm always reassured that "don't worry this just so I have a ballpark; it's not a hard deadline." It always ends up becoming a hard deadline that I failed to meet lol

Edit: to clarify this is for internal teams or organizations. I don't work with outside customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Spatial posted:

One of my friend's coworkers regularly throws screaming tantrums at others over the slightest most insignificant things. We're talking straight up red faced spitting rage for ten minutes straight, which is so extreme and so loud it even disturbs people on the other floors of the building.

What drives him to do this? Recent examples:
Case 1: Button on a webpage was 2 pixels out of alignment with another button
Case 2: Background was the wrong shade of orange

Two new hires immediately quit and never came back after they saw this happen. Half the team is in the process of leaving. Management will not take any corrective action whatsoever.

By the way this is the same environment where everyone earning over 75K got a raise while everyone else has been frozen for two years. Captain blowhard above is one of the >75K people who got a raise.

What the hell?