Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Me: “Here is a list of information and documents I need from you to handle this matter. I can’t get started until you give me answers and responsive documents to ALL these requests. Also, I bill by the hour, and I’m not cheap, so it’s in your best interests to bring everything to me in an organized manner and, preferably, in an electronic format.”

Client: “I totally understand. I’ll get [their assistant’s name] right on it!”

Two weeks later, I’ve received maybe half of what I need in slow drips, most of it in hard copies with absolutely no organization. I have also received a ton of documents that have only the most tenuous relevance to my requests upon review.

*another two weeks later*
Client: “So where are we on this? I can’t afford to keep spending money on this matter.”

*repeat*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Pump Jockey posted:

My work likes to send out super stressful emails [snip] and then they end each email with “don’t forget that we all have access to the Calm app.”

Lol my last job did that same poo poo but it was a “wellbeing hotline” email address that I’m sure just went to management and used against you.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 30, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

No they don’t pay you. An while they say it isn’t mandatory, it will be remarked upon during your annual review.

E. Re: “team building” happy hours, etc

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 31, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Hey IT. It’s 2021 could we have some wifi?

*small gnomish man looks up from his password reseting and emits a screech of ones and zeroes before howling that un sanctified machines are heresy and blessed are the minds too small to doubt*

Sorry everybody called you an idiot/rear end in a top hat. I mean, it’s tru, but still, sorry

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Tetramin posted:

I think Amazon corporate employees did too. And even worse, IIRC all of the employees did weekly polls where they rated their direct coworkers. Obviously it resulted in tons of traumatic drama, backstabbing, and just nastiness for everybody

Yea, but now they are less likely to unionize cause they hate each other

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

InternetJunky posted:

a bathroom that was the equivalent of a trough at a barn.

That’s just a squat toilet, very common in eastern nations

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Agreed w above poster. My understanding (layperson) is that being vaccinated means that your body’s immune system “knows” how to fight the relevant virus, not that it makes you wholly immune from the virus entering your body. So you can still get “infected” and still pass the virus along to others, you just are going to recover from any infection much quicker than others w/out the vaccines.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Play posted:

But if you don't actually get physically sick the virus 1) won't multiply/spread inside you and 2) won't be spread easily to other people through coughing.

I don’t think anything you said in this sentence is true, to be honest. First, my understanding is you will get physically sick, you will just recover faster such that it may not appear outwardly. Second, the virus will multiply inside you, but your immune system will be able to suppress it at a faster rate than it can replicate, so while it will be able to multiply/spread at first, it will eventually lose a war of attrition. Finally, you still we able to spread it during the period between initial infection and total victory by your immune system.

I’m not trying to be argumentative here, I’m just afraid we may be spreading misinformation one way or the other. I’d love to have some resident immunologist or vaccine scientist (or just a regular physician, whatever) put the issue to bed.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Play posted:

It's funny that employers don't seem as concerned as they might about getting sued for failing to provide a safe environment for workers. I wonder if there will be more lawsuits in the future for long term effects or if they're just getting a free pass in effect

That’s one of the things that republican lawmakers keep trying to jam into all of the various COVID relief bills; immunity to employers from lawsuits from their employees for failing to take precautions to prevent the employees from getting infected. It’s as hosed up as it sounds.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Hasturtium posted:

“We’re a big family here” usually means “we have work-life balance issues and develop an air of artificial camaraderie to distract ourselves from the lives we should be living outside of this place.” This same company will inevitably insist if you are laid off or terminated that it’s nothing personal.

I was working at a company that hired a new employee and paid for all of his licensing expenses and gave him 2 extra weeks of PTO s he could study for the licensing exam. He quit about 8 months later because the manager he was assigned to work under was a total rear end in a top hat micromanager (but didn’t get her own work done and then would piecemeal it out to her subordinates to complete in unrealistic timeframes, and was very nasty overall in how she spoke to subordinates).

I remember I was having lunch with some other coworkers a few days after the guy quit and the coworkers were complaining about how he “took advantage of the company by getting them to pay for his licensing, etc. and then just quitting out of nowhere?!?” It was like Stockholm syndrome or something. My only comment was “right, like management wouldn’t fire each and everyone of us out of a cannon into the sun if it would make them $5 more profit. It’s not like the money is coming out of your pocket, so who cares”. Most were still indignant after my comment, but there were a couple I could see mulling it over in their heads. I quit that job soon thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Full Metal Jackass posted:

My job is WFH right now but they do a thing where they randomly call you up to come in for a drug and alcohol test during work hours. Once you answer the phone and engage in convo they spring it on you and you have 2 hours to come in and take the test, otherwise it counts as a failed test. This has gotten two people fired so far for failed breathalyzer (has to be 0.0).

Just don’t answer the phone. So simple