Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

AlphariusOmegon posted:

And holy poo poo talk about mandatory e-mail niceties. There's actually a style manual that you will get punished for not adhering to even amongst people the same rank as you. I've still got it loving memorized.

For EVERY SINGLE EMAIL EVER SENT

90% of the emails I get from the army reserve start:

Team, (excusing rank)

Which seems to work for most short of the chief of defence force.

Anyway, what reading this and the BFC corporate thread has taught me is that my 10 person work with it's timesheet/client/invoicing software programmed by a local in visual fox pro (whatever that is) has more automated billing and admin than most global corporations, even if the things you enter doesn't always match up with the field you enter them into very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've seen Gantt charts on the walls of construction site offices often enough, I don't know if they have accurate timings or anything, but if nothing else they'd be a useful reference to make sure you haven't forgotten a major step on a complex project.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

We got a letter from a client this morning complaining about a lawyer taking a week to prepare something. It spiralled into a rant that the system is worse here because at least in corrupt countries you can pay more money to make sure that your work gets done.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Love to get in to the office at five to five and find that someone has booked me for fieldwork for tomorrow morning, rubbing out my late start to do so. Guess what, tomorrow I will be getting my flu jab anyway.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 19, 2021

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Tarkus posted:

second hands move a fair amount close-up. I'd try it if I had a watch here.

Mine doesn't visibly move the mouse, but the hands are tiny white slivers on a dark background. One with a white face and larger second hand might work better.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

I really wish people would not ask me important questions or my opinions on stuff when I'm in the middle of a brew day. This happens almost everywhere I've worked. It's also always when I'm in the middle of a real key step.

Don't answer the phone. Don't even take it out of your pocket. Don't even listen to messages, just call them back as soon as you've finished whatever the important thing is. It'll improve your life a lot. Similarly, I can't count the amount of times I've said to clients, tradies and foremen to their face 'Can I talk to you in five minutes? I need to make sure theses calculations are correct" Part of being an expert is making sure conditions let you do your thing right.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I have finally found a way to have specific, measurable achievements during my working from home days. Every day I listen to an album from the Motorhead discography. Today I'm up to Bomber.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Just received an E-mail with subject: pegging to be done

I'm flattered, but you know, business and pleasure and all that.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Dunno, but it invovlves an underground thrust from a nearby power pole into the property.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Some of you might be interested in Vanderbilt university's list of the denominations that actually have pre-existing objections:

quote:

Dutch Reformed Congregations - This denomination has a tradition of declining immunizations. Some members decline vaccination on the basis that it interferes with divine providence. However, others within the faith accept immunization as a gift from God to be used with gratitude.

Faith healing denominations including:

Faith Tabernacle
Church of the First Born
Faith Assembly
End Time Ministrie
[Church of Christ, Scientist]- One of the basic teachings of this denomination is that disease can be cured or prevented by focused prayer and members will often request exemptions when available. However, there are not strict rules against vaccination and members can receive required vaccinations.

Christian sects with no Theological objection:

quote:

Roman Catholicism
Eastern Orthodox
Oriental Orthodox
Amish
Anglican
Baptist
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints​ (Mormon)
Congregational
Episcopalian
Jehovah's Witness - Note: This denomination originally denounced vaccination, but revised this doctrine in 1952. An article in a recent issue of the church's newsletter promotes vaccination to avoid infectious diseases.
Lutheran
Mennonite
Methodist (including African Methodist Episcopal)
Quaker
Pentecostal
Presbyterian
Seventh-Day Adventist
Unitarian-Universalist

Also generally Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, Judaism, Islam, Scientology.

Making the best response to an antivax person "Oh, I didn't realize you were dutch reformed"

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 14, 2021

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

tater_salad posted:

dude this 100% has to be fake there's no fuckin way this guy isn't a caricature of what fox thinks is a union worker.

https://joeligotti.com/

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

MH covers are round so that they can be replaced without having to align them with the frame.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the real answer is that you only need a round cap for a round pipe

any other consideration is incidental

Only if you're retrofitting. If you're installing a new one you can buy a rectangular collar if the local regs allow.

I love how much this question is rarking me up because I've got so much experience in opening the drat things. I'm imagining spending the entire interview enumerating more and more reasons round covers are superior and becoming more and more abrasive "Actually, manholes come in many shapes and even round ones are usually 1050 or 1600mm in diameter. The only important consideration in the shape of the lid and collar is that the throat supports it and has rungs close enough to put one's feet on. Didn't think of that, did we? Haven't spent much time in construction, have you Sergei? Perhaps you should have studied less flute and hung around drainlayers some more, eh Larry?" Then Brin tries to hit me in the face and I knock him out with a manhole key and run Larry through with a utility spear.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The raunchiest thing I'm going to see all week is a CAD layer name: P-SLIT-DIVER-DIRTY

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Does the old critical path method count? Can Agile wizard people get away without having to calculate one?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I have received a job envelope. There is a job number, the Client is 'GJ' and the only other information is an address that doesn't work when I search it. The spaces for the legal description, contact person, date taken, phone, email, job instructions and instructions received from are all blank. It's not entered in the mapping system. Which is why I'm posting instead of working.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

George Jetson. Makes sense the address doesn't work, it's a job from the future, he lives in the sky with a robot maid.

He's chosen a funny place to build a sky condo balanced on a rod then. Hope he's hired a good geotechnical engineer.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I made what I hope is the worst decision I'll make all year yesterday. I'd checked all the rain maps the day before and it was clear that the longer we were out, the wetter we'd get. I finished job #1 just before lunchtime and while the sky was very grey, it wasn't raining. So I consulted the rain radar, saw a gap, did just enough of job #2 to become hopelessly committed, and spent the next 3 hours without respite in driving rain. It was a boundary dispute and one of the neighbors was literally sobbing in the rain over social media posts they'd been making.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

ben shapino posted:

Yeah that's pretty much it.

But now I'm so burnt I'm actually terrified to jump right into something else because of how fried I feel all the time. Doesn't "help" that I might have a lead on a possible career change that I know I won't get another chance at any time soon, but they are looking to fill the slot in the short to medium term and I could really use a few months of downtime to reset my weary brain.

Gonna be some tough decisions to make in the next few weeks.

Do people still negotiate later start dates to take a break between jobs? Now would be a good time of year to do all the interviewing, work out the resignation period and take some time off before starting in the new year.

What I am a lot more sure about is that if the open offer is in a non time-hogging, genuinely supportive environment, your mental health tends to improve very fast and you can survive for a while before taking a break sometime next year.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A builder has sent me plans for three sets of buildings. So far two have had such poor dimensioning that they're impossible to locate on the property and one just drops out the grid dimensions in the middle of the page so I have to add up every internal wall just to work out the total length of the building. Designer, whoever you are, I hope someone keys your car. Then you'd know what it feels like to spend hours fixing 30 seconds of lazy work.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

...and they've designed their building on top of the houses we laid out last year. Nice work, team.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Since this guy's been head chef the restaurant can't retain a lot of staff. Most of the servers they hire for part time work leave after less than a month. I don't blame them at all. Why put up with this hard-on when you could get a similar job with similar pay and a huge decrease in abuse from a manchild with a hair trigger temper?

Does this guy actually produce food that gets repeat customers or a good reputation around town? That would go a long way toward explaining it.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I said gently caress it to normal work this Monday morning and did some pro-d instead.

- According to case law in my country, you can chop out the branches or roots of an encroaching tree but you aren't allowed to eat any overhanging fruit (I don't know if the courts have dealt with what happens if you chop the branches and then eat the fruit)

- The court may authorize your workmen and their animals to drive their hovercraft over your neighbour's land to repair a fence if it is more practicable than repairing from your side of the fence, but they must not lop any shrubs without consent.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Meh, they've reckoned it to within 1%, what the hell more do you bums expect without paying for it?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

First of May posted:

I'd like to purchase one hogshead of your liquid product, please.

Is that a hog fed on town or country bushels?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Intriguing power move: A client sent one of the valuers next door some thank you and merry Christmas flowers. Now the valuer is feeling guilty because he hasn't actually written her report.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Is it normal to reset the entire office's windows and internet settings during a server migration?

also please find attached

gently caress you, Robert!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

- Client turns up looking like Simon Cowell in aviators, two rather good looking ladies in tow
- The sip large coffees while he explains what we're doing, what the drainlayers are doing, what's happening next, seems like they are going to take over site management but they are new at the job or students
- They hop back into shiny late model ute
- Client promptly runs over one of our road cones (The folding plastic kind, so the crunching snap resounds across the site.)
- Client gets out, looks at the cone, looks at me, gets back in, def is exceeding the speed limit by the time he disappears.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

pumped up for school posted:

I watched/heard a good field exercise a couple of days ago. Survey team of 3 people: crew chief (CC), rod man (A) and his helper (B). This was all over radio comms:

CC: "ok I see you guys moved to the other side of the fence now, what's your station #?

(B): "196"

CC: copy 196. What direction is your next station? Moving up or down line?

(B): Toward 195. Down line

CC: what station are you at now?

(B): 196

CC: hey, A. Can you verify your station number and what's your next station and direction?

(A) Confirmed currently at 196. Next station 195. Down line.

CC: can someone count back to the previous station (this requires exiting one security gate and entering another, 30 minute exercise) and make sure that was Up Line?

Me stepping in (frustrated at this literal binary question): "I'm on the other side of the security fence. I can see your crew right now. Their report is correct."

CC: "hey B what's your station number?"

At the end of the day I ended up by the CC's station. He had visual on them the entire time from his base. Literally watched them moving "left to right" all day.

Chief definitely had the wrong number somewhere in his gear or paperwork, and was trying to work out why the paper wasn't squaring with reality.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The thing that continually amazes me about this thread is how my lovely little five employee company apparently has better timekeeping and billing systems than tech giants. It's a lovely visual foxpro setup that some local guy programs in his house.

When a job comes in, the client details are entered, at the end of the week I put in job number, work code, and hours, along with leave taken, admin time, kms, and consumables, and at the other end it spits out invoices, leave and payroll reports.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

That's true enough, but ultimately in a professional environment the rank and file shouldn't be spending any time with multiple tracking systems or creating job codes, they should be doing billable work.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

You know how when you hear/read a word so often that it weirdly starts to lose all meaning?

Iterate.

Did it happen gradually, over several passes?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Today's highlight: Builders singing along to Disco house cover of 'Rocket Man'

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Funny to think that in:

quote:

In another case, a large financial services company began noticing employee turnover despite offering competitive salaries and growth opportunities.
"noticing" is probably major projects failing because the project teams walked out

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Jargon of the week: ex mhs are council LLs

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah that's absolutely a "see my last four emails" response

If you aren't putting this in 72pt bold, you deserve what you get, imho.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

One of my co-workers once spent half an hour on the phone to the helpdesk of a government system, resolved the issue, then right before hanging up, goes 'oh, BTW, I'm not such-and-such, I'm just using his account while he's away'. Bam. Account suspended until reapplied for. Four weeks in which she can't work on about half her job. All because she wanted to volunteer out of nowhere why there was a female voice on a male account that was identified by last name and the guy had a gender-ambiguous name anyway.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

Alright thread, management is asking if any of us need any hardware purchased before the end of the year. What the dumbest piece of hardware I could request. I was thinking convince them I need a cuecat to do my job

External USB 8" Floppy drive

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Found an intriguing insight into the process of metrification:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Barudak posted:

Finance did some math and calculated they messed up and Im about 30% more efficient than they thought, so imma go celebrate with some good ramen today.

Why are there multiple red 4s repeating but the other side numbers repeat but not consecutively what in the poo poo is this hell thing.

Level staff in decimal feet. The small fours are so you can count whole feet through the telescope even when close by.