Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Scientastic posted:

I've been saying at work for a while that "AI" is massively overrated and overhyped, and I just tried this. Not with guns and battles, but a subject I actually know something about, and it was amazing. Thanks, I will be suggesting this to everyone I know who thinks AI is anything more than a clever looking LLM.

There's an old Charles Babbage quote that I recently realized is far more relevant to LLMs than it should be:

Charles Babbage posted:

On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], — "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ...I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

And that's what we're seeing with with ChatGPT, Copilot, Bard, and all the other generative AI bullshit. They're full of wrong figures but people think they'll magically give the right answers anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU