Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I had a zoom meeting last month and for the first 10 minutes they played music and told everyone to dance. Like a half dozen people were doing it (out of a few hundred) and they just kept that music on loop for the whole time. At the end of the meeting they said they didn't have enough "dance footage" and told everybody to put their cameras on.

Most of the meeting was talking about how we aren't getting raises or bonuses this year despite having one of the most profitable quarters in company history.

Those same people started dancing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I remember that one goon (I think it was a goon) who posted about his job and becoming manager of a non-existent department and doing nothing all day until eventually the gravy train ran out. That sounds goddamn amazing and I pray it one day happens to me.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

My boss has been my boss for roughly 3 years now. I have never met him in person and for the last 8 months he hasn't had a single conference call or meeting with our group. I've spoken to him for about a combined 3 hours in the entire time I've worked for him.

Over the summer we were supposed to give him our feedback on his management, he just made up all the responses and sent them to corporate. When somebody questioned him he said he didn't want to tie us up with a pointless meeting. So he gave himself good to average feedback and claimed it was from us, and the only reason we found out was because they emailed us "our" feedback to review after the fact.

All of this would be fine except for the fact that he finally chose this past Friday to wake up and "manage" us, by replying to a group email discussing our Friday night plans (which ranged from "I'm gonna drink a beer" to "I'm going to drink a glass of wine") by saying it was wildly inappropriate and a misuse of Company (his capitalization, not mine) email.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I was in the logistics department at an old job, which basically boiled down to scheduling trucks delivering raw materials for production and finished goods to customers. We had a system set up where customer service or the factory would enter their needs, then an hour later it would hit our system and we could start assigning drivers and scheduling pickup and delivery appointments. The issue was that hour lag - we ran into major issues where people would put orders in at 5 pm that had to go out that night, but we'd be out of the office by the time they hit our system. Or, even if we happened to catch it, there'd be no appointments available for scheduling at that point and you'd be boned anyway.

We had enough production shutdowns and late customer orders that they had an efficiency expert sit with us so we could explain the issue. All of us had a simple fix - if customer service or production puts in an order after 3 pm that had to go out that night or the next morning they had to shoot us an email heads up AND ensure there was an open appointment at either the factory or the customer to take this stuff. She sat with us for like a week and saw this exact issue come up multiple times, then left and ensured us she was going to get it fixed.

Nothing happened and about a week later our boss called us in for an emergency meeting and lectured us on how terrible our performance was. Less than a year later we were all laid off and they had a team of 5 interns try to do our entire department's job instead. From what I heard it was a complete disaster and I'm really glad it happened to them.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Every year we have to evaluate our employee satisfaction. When I first started 7 years ago we had questions like "How satisfied are you with the cost of your healthcare?" and "Is your manager available when you need them to be?"

Every year the scores are bad, generally because of them cheaping out on our healthcare, or freezing raises and bonuses, or some really boneheaded upper management decisions. Rather than fixing these things, they just make the questions more and more generic so the scores get *slightly* higher overall. And it's turned into a comparison of last year, rather than an overall "How are you feeling NOW" thing.

Last year we had "How does your healthcare this year compare to last year?" Technically it still sucks, but it hasn't gotten worse. I guess I'll give it a good rating then.

"How does your pay compare to last year?" Well, same thing I guess.

I can't wait til this year's survey opens up.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

My company constantly rolls out new spreadsheets and programs as quickly as possible, then lets us deal with the MANY issues that arise from how buggy and busted everything is, constantly sending out revisions and updates. And god forbid you miss an email and use an old version, because in 6 months you'll find out some random bit of information wasn't uploaded to some random table in a server halfway across the country and then you're in major trouble.

I think the record has been 5 revisions for an excel spreadsheet in a week.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

2018: "Sorry guys, rough year, don't expect a bonus or a raise. We promise to fix this next year!"

2019: "Oh man, so we had a lot of money, but we uh... we kind of spent it on a lot of computer upgrades. No bonus or raise, BUT we promise you this will lead to a raise next year!"

2020: "So we're busier than ever and making more money than ever, but you know, really the bonus and your raise is based on how you did the PREVIOUS year when you think about it. So expect a bonus in 2021. Also we just gave a half million dollar bonus to an executive but please ignore that."

2021 (so far): "Yeah this project we asked everybody to roll out under an insane time crunch isn't working, it's way more expensive than we thought. So it doesn't look good for a bonus. But maybe? Make sure you work your rear end off just in case, okay?"

Upper management: Why the HELL are people so angry here? And why is turnover so high?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

We used to do a monthly district level meeting which comprised about 15 of us. It was stupid, but it was an excuse to get the company to pay for lunch, and a couple of the old guys in our group loved it because it was a big happy socializing event for them.

Obviously we stopped doing them about a year ago, but ever since, the guy who organizes the meeting has been OBSESSED with getting them running again.

It started this past summer, little emails like "Just gauging interest - if we do another meeting in person would you attend?" and "Would love to see everyone in person again, much more productive!".

We would be cramming into a tiny conference room, some people would be travelling across state borders, and these meetings never were productive anyway. But it's a big party for a couple of old farts, so they're missing these things like crazy.

Today we got the email "Looking to schedule the April District meeting in person, can we get some feedback?"

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Code Jockey posted:

I wonder if he didn't experience what prisoners experience, where after a while the world inside the office is all that he really knows and he doesn't feel comfortable outside of it

I think it's that for some people, but I also think some people just think work is super fun and great. I work in a big company with a lot of middle managers who don't do much all day. They probably do enjoy their jobs since it boils down to telling people "good job, keep doing that!" and ordering new uniforms for people.

Meanwhile, I can't get out the door fast enough at the end of the day. I enjoy some of the work and most of the people, but you're insane if you think I consider work to be something I'd do if I wasn't getting paid for it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

"Guys I think I'm getting some kind of error in this system, why am I seeing all of these red smiley faces?"

"Oh, the red smiley face is good! It's just a heads up that the task ran correctly, so you notice it."

"Uhhh okay, that's fine, I guess. So I should just ignore the green smiley face, too?"

"Oh no, the green smiley face is VERY BAD."

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Our CEO sent an email out to the entire company last night saying (and this is paraphrased): "We fully support the rebuilding of American infrastructure through taxes, BUT we pay too many taxes already."

Not even a call for us to call our legislators or anything, just a note that they support paying taxes, just not TOO MUCH in taxes.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

"Everybody, I'm really happy to say we're scheduling our first in person meeting for next week!"

"Cool, glad everybody is vaccinated!"

"Oh no, I'm never getting vaccinated. And I will not be wearing a mask either. Looking forward to cramming inside a small conference room with 10 of you!"

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

We're very aggressively rolling out a new program at work, so there are a LOT of questions from people on a very tight timeline for implementation. We had a conference call on Tuesday and someone asked who they need to contact if their dedicated "Subject Matter Expert" is on vacation or tied up with someone else's issues.

"Go a step up the chain on the posted hierarchy."

Okay, that makes sense, we can follow that. Well I guess a lot of people emailed up the chain because we had a call today where we were now told NOT to do that, because the people up the chain are "Being bombarded with questions."

So now we email our subject matter expert and hope they get back to us before the deadline, which is next Friday. And yes, they made a major deadline like this on a holiday week.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

We had a group meeting on Tuesday that involved about a dozen of us driving in from the tri-state area. Already dumb and I wasn't super excited about it, but whatever. My boss' boss showed up to speak, talks about the problems we're having with hiring people.

"The problem is, you're getting paid more to stay home than you are to work right now!"

Followed by, a few minutes later. "Yeah, my hobby is motorcycles, I have 5 of them."

Just completely out of touch with reality and what real people spend the majority of their money on.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

We've been rolling out a new system at work for about 6 months. It's a disaster, it does not work, and it requires a massive amount of manual workarounds at this point. My job used to be an 8-4 gig, but because of the work we've been doing it's shifted to 5-3. That's bad enough, but we were told it was just a temporary thing.

Last night, someone very high up in the company suggested that we start working at 3 am to handle the "perceived issues", so that'd shift my schedule to 3-3.

But don't worry, corporate leadership is still allowed to work from home 5 days a week and wouldn't dare dream of working more than 20 hours a week.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Atopian posted:

I'm assuming that the 50% increase in hours isn't coming with a 50% increase in pay, plus overtime?

No of course not, that'd hurt the stock price because it's money being spent on employees that should instead be paid back to those investors.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I was on a conference call Monday where a manager berated some poor guy (not even his employee) for about 15 minutes for no good reason. The guy asked a question and this manager just tore into him, basically disregarding the question and acting like the whole thing was a waste of time. Absolutely gross and unprofessional behavior.

I ended up emailing HR about it since it bothered me so much. Spoke with someone on Tuesday, they said all of this was anonymous and nobody would know I specifically brought up this issue, it was actually a pretty good conversation and I felt like something might come of this. Yesterday my boss calls me and I ended up getting in trouble for not following the "proper chain of command" and bringing the issue to him first. Even though he wasn't on the call, would have no idea what I'm talking about, and would have just sent it up to HR anyway.

Also really nice to know my "anonymous" conversation with HR was anything but.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Our old HR representative was great, but she's dealing with a family tragedy and decided to take an extended leave. This coincided with the promotion of a new HR rep. She seemed a little forgetful and absent-minded, but I figured it was just nerves with the new job.

It's been like 4 months now and she's gotten even worse. She'll give either completely incorrect information or just say "Yeah I don't know how to handle that" but not follow up. One time she admitted there was "a big HR book" that she hasn't read yet, but definitely plans to get to eventually.

A coworker of mine was in a meeting with her and started asking how she ended up in HR. She admitted she has no training, no degree, nothing. But she was a bartender that one of the company VPs knew and eventually hired as an administrative assistant, she's "a really good people person", and she's now in a 6 figure job that she has absolutely no idea how to do. It's awesome.