Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Workaday Wizard posted:

A vendor keeps calling my phone like a crazy ex. loving chill and send an email you fucks.

uggghhh this is my last boss

meanwhile he would just aimlessly ping pong around the city "getting some parts" in his work truck harassing everyone with the power of the Iphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

titty_baby_ posted:

I am legitimately considering leaving my job to work on a weed farm. The pay is slightly higher and the commute is further, but i think I'd feel better doing agricultural work then "working from home" and lying to my employers constantly

if i knew about it id already have taken it from you

i got a ton of heavy equipment experience and landscaping background, show me the way to weed farm

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

SniperWoreConverse posted:

My boss would never ever do any kind of calculations for pricing just kinda take what we paid and double them, poo poo like that.

hmmm ok so this is "normal"

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

titty_baby_ posted:

A friend of mine was working for a utility forestry company, and while I dont know his exact wage I know the low end was $20/hr. He worked 60 hours a week, traveling and living in hotels, and had $150 a day per diem for expenses. I asked him how he liked it and he said while he was making a lot of money it was terrible. I asked him if he was looking elsewhere and he said when he tried to quit they counteroffered with an $8/hr raise and promotion so he stuck around.

the is the circle of life in the tree industry. its so physical and athletic that its truly a young person's game doing tree work at-scale. once you start getting old and feeling it you either just have a hard rear end life, start your own company or get into something else.

so what ends up happening is those older guys who are still standing just throw money at the younger guys to get them to put up with the 60 hour weeks until they can't take it anymore, rinse and repeat. really most tree companies are more like equipment-sharing co-ops or something, the way i see it. you can be an independent climber and make out nicely that way, but then you might make a little less money because the broken guy in his early 40s has got the equipment and revolving door of young men to compete with you.

its one of those things that i dont ever see really unionizing because its such a lifestyle and willingness to kill yourself daily. im glad i left that industry. of the 5 very skilled arborists ive ever worked with, one is dead, two are broken, one is a teacher, one is doing something else - all under the age of 40.

dumb poo poo my work does - improving wooded landscapes on homeowners' properties

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
anyone who puts arts and crafts in front of me is dead

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Kuros posted:

I'm working to get a 3 in/2 out schedule setup so I can get these tickets done early in the week and then work from home Thursday and Friday.

structuring the work week this way is a great idea that applies to so many things!!! but most business owners just dont get it.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i got t-boned on my commute back in October, heading into the office to do something i could've done at home.

really the problem with Americans, at least, is what busy body morons they are and are constantly doing performative "hard-working" things or running errands and buying poo poo they don't need in lieu of actually having brains or personalities

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Inzombiac posted:

So I live in Portland and a coworker refuses to go to the downtown office (even when required) because they're scared of "all the rioting."
Motherfucker lives in Lake Oswego (the wealthy part of town) and really has no clue what's going on here.

Portland isn't burning. It's fine. Cops keep killing people but they're racist pigs so it's no surprise.
I had lunch on the waterfront the other day, right at the center of where they think all the homeless people are having satanic abortions or whatever.

lol my girlfriend doing WFH here in the big scary city had the same poo poo from her suburbanite coworkers- "omg are they burning the city down!?!?!"

no, but the National Guard blackhawk doing lowpasses and shaking the entire drat house all night loving sucked!!! and that was just to make you people in the suburbs feel safe, so gently caress off!!!

idk about in other cities but the nights were long and loud, and days just felt absurdly normal that week or two.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Lazyfire posted:

My wife even got a bonus and her boss admitted it was pretty much a bribe to keep her in place.

this is the only type of promotion i've ever got - a BRIBE to stay on the crazy train and hear circus music in my head all day

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

goatface posted:

The business inertia is huge. Until the last person who knows how to fix it dies, somewhere a terminal-access-only mainframe running a complex web of Cobol and hand-rolled assembly functions that violate every known rule of good memory management will chug in a frozen basement.

my fiance, with a degree in something totally unrelated, got hired and trained to be a mainframe programmer by a major bank. at first when i looked up what Cobol is, I thought her future prospects could be iffy. but it seems like a lot of boomers are her higher-ups, the mainframe ain't going anywhere, and even if it was, somebody knowledgeable will have to be there to make the transition possible. so at this point I think she got a pretty drat bullet proof computer-toucher job?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

zedprime posted:

Terminal troopbrains are normally hired hoping that the troopbrain wears off on other people turning them also into troopbrain automatons.

the government should be run more like a business!
business should be run more like the military!
the military should be run more like ???????

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I found business cards to be relevant working as a contractor. Or else when a neighbor would come up to me on a 90 degree day inquiring about my services I could be brief with them and still get their work later. If I did a real big and involved quote I'd email it and also mail a copy with my card stapled to it. Otherwise kept 3.5x8 glossy flyers in the glovebox of every truck for my crew members to hand out.

But we had something real and tangible to offer unlike middle management people at a business expo lmao

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
sitting in meeting about how much money we're losing and then i hear:

OMG I'VE NEVER BUILT AN INSTAGRAM FROM SCRATCH :qq:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Machai posted:

I work in a glass bottle plant and the guys in the hot end that make the bottles get daily bonuses if they hit a certain percentage of bottles packed onto pallets for their shift.

They constantly poo poo on their QCs because the QC's job is essentially to lower their packed % by throwing out defective bottles. Even the hot end supervisors get on the QCs case about "are you really sure that bottle is bad enough to throw away" when it is very measurably out of spec and the QC would be reprimanded by management for letting it be packed.

I was a QC for 4 years and have had screaming matches with guys from the hot end getting on my case about throwing out too many bottles (that were clearly bad and would possibly have physically harmed the consumer)

i worked at a factory where the CNC operator pumped out the goods and you just sat there looking at them and boxing them all day

one of us packer inspectors brought a bad piece up to the CNC guy once and he just spiked it out of her hand onto the floor. twas gone at lunch break, fired

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
"none of this would be possible without marketing!"

me: *gestures to 85% of our sales having nothing to do with their marketing efforts*

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
am i stupid for looking at most "specialized" CRM systems aimed at small businesses as overpriced poo poo you dont need?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Spatule posted:

You need *something* to manage your customers, and there are CRMs that are like 20$ a month and can generate quotes, do inventory management, remind you of tasks etc. Sure, you can do all that with gmail and excel, but it's gonna be extra work.

yeah im finding the $20-$100 month ones are just fine, its the next tier up that seems to be overdoing it, but they seem to market so aggressively towards those clients they know are on the borderline.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
what happens if you tell your HR that Zoom depresses you

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

kntfkr posted:

One time I mistyped "best regards" as "best retards" and no one noticed.

Its funnier if you just do:

Retards,

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the phrase "at a high level" is the most meaningless bullshit

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i send all my emails for the day immediately at the crack of dawn, wake up to hell people

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
My work has this amazing over engineered sound system but the soundboard and faders itself are all on an iPad.

I've wondered what would happen in the middle of a show if the network crashed.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
You guys are making me chuckle nervously. interfacing between spergy smart guys and dumbass clients has been my bread n butter

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
my team is having a meltdown this week over some social media posts

no, there was nothing accidentally posted, revealed or otherwise negative for the company. just some people wanted different posts

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i thought "hazy" IPAs were just breweries trying to market saving money on finings by calling it a new style

im looking at you White Claw

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Neito posted:

There's a white claw IPA?

i just thought white claw was all the vodka remnants

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
gently caress people and their goddamn systems

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
management material is defined as a "man (or woman) shaped hole"

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Director of Operations? Director of operating a loving email to the effect of nothing

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 15, 2022

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

A Stupid Baby posted:

You'd think a place with a major income stream of outdoor wedding rentals would have grasped the idea of not letting the sprinklers spray everyone during the drat ceremony after having it happen more than once a year for 5+ years

venue lyfe

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
there is a brewery in my city called Dead Bird Brewing, lmao. "specializing in unique & vegan ingredients" they say

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
my work is events. how the gently caress have i not gotten covid

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I wasn't a ditch digger but I got really good at a semi-skilled trade before I graduated college. Was managing it and doing quotes by around age 25.

I am told I have a "different style" now that I'm on the management team of an entirely different venture, far and away from anything manual labor.

I have this idea of a "working manager" I developed when I had days split between figuring out to how get a job done and get my quotes/calls out. I do not micromanage but I'm always trying to read between the lines to set up the handful of subordinates I have for success, idk.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
meanwhile i work for a company that just hands out macbooks to people who dont need loving macbooks

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
make your money off the first poor or something thats all i know

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
ive never seen a laptop do anything like that, including my lovely ~$350 office max Lenovo while playing rimworld on my lap for hours

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i worked in a medical plastics packaging factory with gowning and poo poo, like i'd say it was semi-aseptic if that is a thing. long gowns, hair nets and hand washing, sticky thing on floor in air lock before production floor.

my really light grey shoes slowly took a brown hue in the clean room though? dunno what that is about

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
gently caress da CRM

That would suck working anywhere with such a sophisticated CRM there's dedicated computer janitors for it. Do they get to use the same facilities as the sales people?

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 3, 2022

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Buttchocks posted:

Jerks: We're rejecting your expense report. You categorized these as 'billable' when they should be 'chargeable'.

Me: What's the difference between billable and chargeable?

Jerks: An expense can't be billable unless it's also chargeable, but if it's not billable it can still be chargeable. If it's neither billable nor chargeable you need to change the client code to 'company', but we haven't implemented that in the system yet. If it's billable and chargeable but shouldn't be included on the invoice, change the company code to 'client'. If it's billable but not chargeable, but you want it on the invoice anyway, contact the billing department.

Me: That doesn't explain the difference. Also, what?

Jerks: Oh look the system is down again thanks for calling try again next week after the helpline gets assigned a new phone number that we won't announce anywhere. Also we won't reimburse these if they're filed past the deadline that ends at noon today. *click*

so fuckin sick of people's "systems"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Anybody ever wonder if the only Real Work to be done in this nation is annihilating the ruling classes?