Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

No, but there's a paper trail that they loving told that rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: OH

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

I can’t tell if I’m just suffering from the standard imposter syndrome or if I’m about to finally get Peter Principle’d into an absolute nightmare scenario because people assume that the reason I come across as confident and capable is because I am in fact confident and capable, and not just because I’m very practical and don’t publicly lose my mind when things are going sideways.

My boss’ boss wants me to take on a very large and significant ‘future of the department relies on this and if we botch it we’re all probably fired not long afterwards’ project because they believe I’m more than capable of delivering it and I haven’t got a loving clue where to even begin. It’s me, I’m the dumb poo poo my work does.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

My main use of AI at work is loudly and repeatedly demonstrating how stupid and incapable it is of doing rudimentary things we barely trust students to do.

loving Copilot.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Free eggs from chicken-havers is the best random coworker giveaway. People seem to massively overestimate how many eggs they can/are willing to eat themselves and the scramble to find people to give them to every few weeks is always funny. My mother in law had a flock of ten and a household of four adults couldn't keep up. Now that we're not living with them anymore I would LOVE random eggs.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Sounds like just a guy. Most people are loving stupid. If you can read and retain information the first time you're in the 99th percentile

Source: my rear end.

Most of my disappointments at work essentially boil down to me making the mistake of assuming competency at the start.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't like it because I'm not listening to what I'm saying either and trying to remember what it was makes me flustered

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Volmarias posted:

I found great success in moving everything that wasn't addressed directly to me or a very specific set of mailing lists out of the inbox and into something I check once a day.

Oh wow, you check yours?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Chewbecca posted:

The thing is she is doing this without being asked, which is different to being directed to do it - which the company would never do. She obviously feels pressured to work extra hours to get everything done, but I've told her that if things need to fall apart so be it, it's not her job to prop up an entire company. There are people paid a lot more than us who need to solve that problem.

I had to shake my wife like a maraca out of doing this to herself constantly. She's hardwired to feel solely responsible for anything that she's involved in, and would work for HOURS past. Absolutely nobody at any of her jobs over the years asked it of her, and most were aghast if they found out and would try to convince her she didn't have to work late. It took regular therapy and ultimately ADHD meds to even take a bite out of it, and it still pops up every once in a while.

She constantly chased a "I just have to get X done, then I can relax" but there's always another X. Apparently it started in college and rode right into the real world with her. Thanks for looking out for your coworkers health.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 10, 2024

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Chewbecca posted:

When a meeting time hits, I deliberately wait 30 seconds so as not to be the first one in, or forced to make small talk

Same but 5 minutes

goatface posted:

I sit on the Teams joining page until it automatically mutes me.

drat that's way better

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Chewbecca posted:

I need to probably halve the amount of fucks I give and if it falls down around me it falls down around me.

My friend, based on your posts the last few days/weeks: quarter them.

The advice above is all good. Take breaks. No matter what. And if things have to fail, let them. It's not your sole responsibility to keep these morons afloat. And frankly, in the end, losing this job by whatever means will be good news.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Biplane posted:

Just do the bare minimum at all times! It's so easy!!! Hard work NEVER pays! Your bosses hate you so hate them back by doing as little work as possible.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Somehow you're still the smartest person there, be glad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

StrangersInTheNight posted:

So, if you were announcing that you were letting someone go and it was an emotional thing for them, would you choose to do it at the beginning of a showcase meeting they'll be presenting at?

My bosses just made a guy say his last goodbyes and then later in the meeting had him spend 20 minutes telling us about his latest good works for the company.

Wild. Absolute psycho poo poo.