Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
We spend 3 million/year in licence fees for completely broken enterprise software. It's used for everything - procurement, payroll, work orders, but nothing works so people have had to develop workarounds. This was supposed to eliminate a bunch of the paperwork involved in running the organisation, but it's actually increased all of that. The geniuses in senior management decided to buy a version that was nearing EOL and after two years of working to patch the holes announced we're rolling back to the release version to prepare for the switch to the new version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
A few months ago we spent a half day doing mandatory Office 365 training. In case you're wondering you open a Word file exactly the same way you did in Office 2016.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Do it ironically posted:

As for nowadays being a manager it’s loving crazy to me I have to hound guys to wear PPE, no I’m not making you wear a hard hat on site while the crane is lifting materials 35 stories over your head because I’m a hardass, I just don’t want you to die

My experience with safety is it's nearly always the workers, technicians, and tradespersons trying to avoid the PPE/safety procedures.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

TontoCorazon posted:

God I loving love working for a government agency, I've never had to do that bullshit fake rear end pretending to be happy about our jobs, also none of this conference dance bullshit. Boss sets up meeting every two weeks to a month just to catch up and update us on policy and regulation changes then we're done.

The government agencies I've worked for are always chasing private sector trends. Lean, Six Sigma, Scrum, etc... It's pure cargo cult.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zarin posted:

That, or SAP.

ding ding ding!

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

~Coxy posted:

Every person had to get their "construction white card" which is a trivial set of training typically used to induct people onto building sites. It typically takes a whole day so everyone rolled their eyes and got it done.

For anyone who isn't in Australia - white card training, which allows you to enter or exit a building site, basically consists of an eight hour long power point presentation explaining the importance of wearing a hard hat and obeying signs. At the end of the day you take a test proving you retained all that complex knowledge. In order to pass the test you must get 100% correct. You're not allowed to fail, because the company won't get paid if you do, so if you're not sure what the answer is the instructor will actually tell you what to write down. Every training company does this - and everyone knows that they're all doing this.

This is how Australian governments and companies handle liability. I have to retake a first aid class every three years. I have never once had to issue first aid and consequently have never been able to retain the knowledge I learned in one of those eight hour classes. If someone at my work site got a chemical burn I'd call 000 (equivalent of 911) and ask them what to do, because I'd almost certainly make it worse if I freestyled it. Yet even if I killed someone issuing first aid, provided my training was up to date, everyone is shielded from liability.

Tens of thousands of people in Australia are employed in this scam of an industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CarForumPoster posted:

I have to know, what job can be done WFH that would have this as a requirement?

Drone operator?