Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Crackbone posted:

In the middle of of a 5 company merger, and in a conversation with new VP I casually mentioned I was feeling a little overwhelmed.
gently caress ME.

I get a discussion of prioritization and delegation, and how I shouldn’t feel that way. Then I get a call from my boss, “hey VP just called me…”, repeat same poo poo.

Then in a meeting later that day with VP and several others, VP says “some people are talking about being overwhelmed, and I don’t think that’s true…”

Then the next loving day, there’s a full department meeting where they go over why we shouldn’t feel overwhelmed. They end that meeting with same VP saying “come to us if you have concerns, we don’t want to lose you”.

:psyduck:

After expressing a similar thing my boss asked me if I had "tried making lists"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

At my job there is another person with exactly the same title as me. We both, among other things, staff a shared inbox.

Other teams will forward emails to this inbox addressed specifically to me, because I know how to do various work activities and this other person doesn't. Like they admit this openly.

I have been at this place since October last year and they have been here since 2020? Why the gently caress has 90% of the responsibility fallen into my lap?! GTFOH

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Also was announced this week at a team meeting we were expected to return to the office full time (currently 3 days in office, 2 days remote). You could feel the air being sucked out of the room lol

Time to find a new job I guess!!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Incompetent people are gonna be incompetent, no matter the location.

I get more work done remotely due to lack of distractions, but the edict to return to work is rarely about productivity

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

withoutclass posted:

I've been joking for awhile now that since I live at work, I now go to the office to have a lighter day instead of how I used to take a WFH day to take it easy. Now that I've said it here it's dawning on me why I've been feeling burned out for 2+ years.

I think this is true - some people wfh and are a powerhouse of productivity and some people wfh and take the piss. The issue then isn't to do with remote work as a concept, it's to do with management and accountability and workflows. The people who wfh and consistently gently caress around do so because they get away with it and nobody is holding them to it

And idiot poo poo like Time Doctor is not the solution lol

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

withoutclass posted:

My guess would be those same people also screw around at work, but it's probably more obvious/evident.

Yeah exactly, 100% - wfh just means now they are also watching netflix while jiggling their mouse

In my mind, the location of work for idiot office workers like me shouldn’t matter (and of course there are exceptions). What matters is that there is work to be completed and I complete it and there is evidence of it. If I finish early of an arvo and gently caress around on the internet nobody should or would care because I so consistently get poo poo done and if something else needs doing I just do it.

The people who just gently caress around consistently for the most part don't hold themselves accountable in the same way, and aren't held accountable by management.

Idk, maybe I'm missing something but I just feel so many of these issues that workplaces try to solve with poo poo like Time Doctor are really just down to managers not being able to say to people "please do x by the end of next week" and then following up with "explain to me why x wasn't done". Then everyone suffers with return to work mandates.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

McGavin posted:

We can't hire anyone because people just don't want to work anymore!
:qqsay:

I would slam the x on that browser so fast lol

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I was once involved in an interview process that involved a phone pre-screening, a panel interview, then a presentation to the entire team of 25+ people (?!). I emailed after the interview to remove myself from the running because I was sure as poo poo not doing a presentation to that amount of random people who could then inform my current employer I am shopping around?

They only told me about the presentation during the panel interview so I Mona Lisa smiled and then got tf outta there lol

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

COPE 27 posted:

I wonder if the trend of leaning out middle management has just made it impossible for managers to actually do their jobs, and they're wrongly blaming that on wfh.

I've had up to 20 direct reports while also being the relationship manager for like 5 internal departments and maybe 20 external partners. You have to either ignore like 75% of what comes at you or just be completely ineffective but that assumes you have a boss that will have your back.

The thing about being a middle manager is that you have actual work activities to do, plus all the responsibilities of leading a team and managing workload. It's usually 1.5 jobs in one and people choose which elements to let slide. And nobody wants to be the "bad guy". I have been a middle manager so I get it, I also won't ever do it again

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

I applied to a few places like this when I wasn’t really desperate for another job so I could afford to be picky, and every time one of them tried to pull that poo poo on me I told whatever HR monkey who was trying to set it up that I didn’t want to continue with the application because it seemed like they couldn’t be bothered to make the time to actually interview me properly, so why should I want to work for them?

They’d usually get super defensive and upset about it.

They prob get super defensive about it because it was their team's harebrained scheme to implement it, and they don't want to explain to higher ups why candidates are dropping out in record numbers

COPE 27 posted:

And then you get random poo poo like "chauffer these VIPs for 2 days with zero notice"

Oh god yeah, so much random poo poo, micro crises with short deadlines, reports needed by 5 you hear about at 4, unhappy people coming at you from all sides, who can be bothered

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Maybe if they told me from the jump, but even then I would have withdrawn lol

I have gotten much higher paid jobs with just a panel interview which included a presentations so idk what these people were on

Also: :australia::vegemite: btw lol

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

My assumption re: those kind of job postings is that in least in some cases the hiring manager sent through their requirements (e.g. "must know x") and then the HR person attached the arbitrary year amount of experience as commensurate with the salary

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

So I applied for another job within my company (different team). My boss was sharing his screen today in a meeting, and I briefly saw a glimpse of an email about him being on a job interview panel. What job do you reckon it might be for, goons? :thunk:

awkward conversations potentially incoming

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Do you work for me?

What if we all work for you

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Outrail posted:

Was it for your job? :ohdear:

I didn't see all the details, but given the timing I'd assume it's for the job I applied for

:wellpiss:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

You're fired then.

Thank you for the opportunity <surreptitiously loads my backpack up with notebooks, ballpoint pens and a swingline stapler>

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I was looking for a job and then I found a job
And heaven knows, I'm miserable now

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

zedprime posted:

Saying "I don't know" is the take a penny leave a penny tray of the corporate world. Should you say I don't know? Should you help someone one out who said I don't know or viciously attack them? Only your corporate cultural mores can tell you.

I can tell you you're in a lovely working situation if you fear saying I don't know in your most immediate team especially your boss.

Just don't be the guy who got the forklift driver telling everyone "I'm getting into IT. Apparently all you need to do is say 'hmm, that's interesting. Let me ask my colleague and get right back to you."

I'd much rather shrug and say "idk but I will look into it" than be one of those people that bullshit through life. There is freedom in transparency

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Maybe she is a nepotism hire or something, none of her actions really make sense

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

The thing about nepotism hires is, as the person on the receiving end of that hiring process...isn't that incredibly stressful? I would very much hate to be tasked with activities I was unable to deliver to. I would be mortified if I was a part of a team and clearly didn't match their skillset.

also it's ChewBECCA :ssh:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I work with a nepo hire. When I complained that they didn't have particular skills required for the job title that we share, my boss told me that:

1) "they have other qualities"
2) "they are a nice person so you should focus on that"

Guess who all of the things that this person can't do get rerouted to :jerry:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I have seen and heard horrendous things, but I am legitimately shocked you guys out here paying for drinkable water :whitewater:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

mllaneza posted:

We had a case of the dumbs involving NOT taking the laptop on vacation. So our guy is going on vacation, but he doesn't trust his roommates, so he hides the laptop. Fine, but not in the loving oven. He gets home and starts to make dinner.

His cost center paid for a laptop.

lmao honestly, I'd rather lie and say it was stolen than admit this - its so embarrassing

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I once spilled an entire cup of coffee on a work laptop in front of a room full of people. It was mortifying. Lucky for me, it was an old laptop on its last legs and used exclusively for training.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Outrail posted:

Did they graduate you beyond sippy cups after that?

At least I didn't push it off my highchair like all those other times

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

Haven't got confirmation if the dude from Thursday was the Illicit memer, but someone DID get fired. Apparently, they had even gotten them into the executive conference rooms, which lol.

You could always connect with him on linkedin and ask

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

If an old employer was to call me (who I had a poo poo time with) you'd best believe I am not picking up the phone

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Handover is handover and then it's done. They had my notice period to figure it out!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Someone: "chewb, I need your help! It's critical you work back late and make yourself available to help me do [work thing]"
Me: "I can make myself available until 5.30pm, or at 8am tomorrow"
Them: <tumbleweeds>

It's now 5.15pm and I haven't heard poo poo from gently caress from this person lmao. I am sitting here scrolling the forums in an empty office.

Man, I don't get how people can monopolise your time and not even feel a bit bad about it

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Cursed Teams or Slack messages:

"Do you know much about [complex topic or stressful thing]" - you just know they are about to dunk you in some hot bullshit, at 8am no less

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

My boss was so rude and hostile to me just before I finished up for the day, that now I can't sleep and I am job hunting at 4am on a public holiday lol

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Atopian posted:

*worried* how... should it be pronounced?
Because if you ignore the French etymology, it'd be like... catch?

Isn't it "kaysh"??

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

goatface posted:

Maybe if you're Australian.

Fortunately for me, I am :vegemite:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

The union of my industry has voted to take industrial action. My colleague (who is not a member) said to me she will "work from home that day so as not to cross the picket line"

That's not what that means, that's not what any of that means :crossarms:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Outrail posted:

I really hope she's being funny or extremely ignorant.

Or she's a scab

Let me put it this way, she's not a comedian and she is old enough to know better

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I was treated like garbage by four separate people today at my job. Condescending, denanding, rude, the whole nine

I am a soft target cos I am too nice, but still! In all of my years of work I have never been treated as consistently badly as I am here lol

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

DeeplyConcerned posted:

That sucks. Who could abuse Chewbacca?

Perhaps the same people who could abuse chewbecca :wookie:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

if you cross a picket line

Outrail posted:

Because that's what scabbing is.

The picket line isn't just the actual, physical line on the ground. It's still crossing the picket like if you sneak in through the back door.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, you don't have to be a member of the union to be a scab. The classic example of scabs is non-union labor brought in to work during a strike, keeping the business open and breaking the strike.

This is my understanding too

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Yesterday it felt like my boss was holding our team hostage. He was in a foul mood, marching up to desks randomly and barking orders or demanding answers to arbitrary things - he would then walk away halfway through the response! The whole team was exchanging looks like wtf do we do.

Twice I grabbed him away from his desk/others and asked if he was okay (I thought maybe he was stressed about something). First time he walked around me without eye contact and told me he was "just thinking about things". Second time he did a fake smile and said he was having a busy day.

gently caress I hate it here lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

The worst bosses gaslight you, shift blame, and deny reality.

• Things aren't that bad! You're being dramatic!
  • Too much work? Have you thought about being better at time management? Make a list maybe
  • I'm sure I told you to do that, you probably should have seen it coming either way