Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Have to have cameras on during meetings where we talk about nothing important. It's mostly just people awkwardly sitting there trying not to stare at the camera.

Supposedly they just got the ability to view our monitors without us knowing so it's great having that bit of paranoia :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Just found out that a dude's job is being threatened because the execs can't watch Youtube. This dude's been there longer than I've been alive and is in charge of a pretty large portion of the IT team. I think he's a few steps below the CIO.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

SkyeAuroline posted:

... is there a reason why they can't, or just "he said so"?

It's blocked for productivity/bandwidth or something so no one can access youtube. They're spending like $40k on a new program to block it for everyone but the execs. :lmao:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I don't get why companies obsess over work-based social media. My work just implemented one and it's not exactly taking off. It just seems like a trap to me, if I spend a lot of time on the social media thing then I'm not working and they can just fire me or overload me with more work.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

take care of yourself first and gently caress the company imo

do what you gotta do to stay afloat and consider looking for another job. Your boss may be nice but the company sure as poo poo isn't.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

We use a 3rd party electronic time keeper programfor our time keeping stuff and to punch in/out and take time off etc... Should be pretty easy to handle time off right? Just set the time and then subtract any time you use from it, so we start with 80 hours of vacation time. Use a day and subtract 8 hours leaving 72 hours. Obvious stuff right? Shouldn't be too hard to keep it straight right?

Apparently not. It's so inconsistent that it will change amounts randomly. Luckily it just adds time and then subtracts that added time at some point then adds on a different time then subtracts that time again. It's impossible to keep up with how much time you have.

What was funny was that we were given a floating holiday, a free day off. You only get one and you have to take the whole day off. Well, Kronos screwed up and gave a ton of people (including myself) an extra day off so some people took it. Well they sent out an angry email saying that they shouldn't have done that and that they would be discussing ways to make up for the time taken off.

It's been this way since I got hired on 3 years ago.

Edit: Yes, I've taken advantage of this but I haven't gotten caught :v:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Just found out my team is probably on the chopping block. Where do people go to get entry level IT jobs these days? Everywhere I look it's all Sr. level and above and I know I won't get hired for that even though I can probably do it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

lost my job just like I thought I would. Technically it's because of budget cuts and financial reasons but in reality it's almost certainly because my wife's pregnant and I was going to take a bunch of time off later in the year. They also let go a pregnant woman and another woman with a chronic illness that she was finally going to get checked out thanks to having insurance.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I was part of about 100 or so layoffs that day. I'm in TN where there's basically no labor protections so I can't prove that it was because of those reasons. I'm just assuming because I was one of the founding members of the team and did my job well. I got a poo poo severance package too, but at least I got one. The "official" reason is budget cuts and financial problems (which is true, the company is bombing financially and getting bought out) but their choice of who to layoff is super suspicious.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Tnuctip posted:

Hi fellow TN goon, I think we’re at different places but yeah TN sucks for unemployment. I was let go for a safety violation, technically true (but god forbid the rules apply to people evenly), right before they shitcanned 150+ people over the subsequent 3 months. So no severance, no tough titty talk from boss or bosses bosses, just a piece of poo poo HR manager who was browsing on his phone in the middle of firing me. gently caress that place.

My boss was legitimately upset and reportedly was in tears when he told the rest of the team. He was the main reason I stuck around because he was a drat good dude. Some higher up made the decision.

The team I was on always was hated by the rest of the company. It was created by an old CIO who later got the boot. I worked for a trucking company and my job was to gather shipping and receiving hours and some other stuff from customers. This was to make scheduling easier or some poo poo, I never fully understood/cared as to why, but basically we made the operations team (who would book loads and stuff) look bad by going back and cleaning up their mistakes. I was a digital janitor basically and the operations team was utterly incompetent and frequently made mistakes and filled in wrong info and things like that. The job sucked and I stuck around longer than I should have due to complacency and loyalty to my team.

Honestly, this is a good thing in some ways because it's giving me a kick in the rear end to get my certifications and a different job that I'll hopefully enjoy.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

McGavin posted:

I have a boomer coworker who won't shut up about "15 minute cities" and "the great reset" and I have no idea what either of those are, but I can guarantee you there is zero chance of either happening. We aren't even in the US.

saw some boomers online complaining about 15 minute cities and as far as I can tell it's just an effort to make sure that all your needs are met within 15 minutes of you. If that's the case then I don't see what's so bad about that :shrug:

the great reset is probably some race thing

Edit: I did like a 5 second google search and this is vaguely what I remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

So here's something "fun" I just found out from an ex-coworker (pregnant lady who got laid off same time as me probably for being pregnant) who pointed out that the company buying out the company I used to work for is laying off another 150 people.

The whole time up until the mass layoffs, we were reassured constantly that there weren't going to be any layoffs and that it was going to be "business as usual" and that the buying company is very hands off. I mean constantly, the CEO would do townhalls like once a month or so and would reassure us. They had a whole meeting with the execs of the buying company whose whole point was how great the merger would be and how there'd be no layoffs. It was obvious to me that they were lying through their teeth and I completely expected the layoffs but I didn't expect myself to be included.

Just for future reference, if your company is being bought out and they constantly say that it's "business as usual" and that there "won't be any layoffs" or anything of that nature, they're lying and it's gonna be a bloodbath. They just don't want people jumping ship early on or looking for work elsewhere before they're blindsided.