Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Holy gently caress I was in an all day meeting yesterday and they pulled out the dance on camera thing, too!
I stayed off camera, muted, and played games while paying the slightest attention for anything that related to me or my department (lol none of it did). When someone complained about me being off camera I said if I were to use it I would overdo my bandwidth since the whole house is online at once and it would then drop the meeting, so they let it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

lol they're trying to ram through an exception where companies can't be held liable if all their employees die of covid so good luck with the lawsuit or trying to find a different job

Wait they're still doing that? I thought that poo poo was shut down.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Just got an on the down low heads up from a coworker that when attending big interdepartmental meetings to not talk about equity issues in my department in case one of the higher ups decides to follow up.
I probably put a target on my back for what I said, but why make it mandatory to attend those meetings, blowing off an entire working day talking about it if we're to not discuss it?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

My work sent out an email about their intent to return to the buildings starting this summer, and completely return by Jan. '22. I blame all my coworkers who blasted out batches of kids that they can't stand or control for ruining it for the rest of us. Every single or childless person in my division has loved WFH, and almost everyone with kids is practically crying while begging to return.

Having this past year and change fully working from home has been so good that I am giving serious thought to finding a different, fully WFH job so I can keep it going.
I saved so much money and time from not having to commute every day that I was able to pay off some of my debts, buy some luxury stuff that I never would have considered before (3D printer, lol), and had more time to spend with my family and dog.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

From a few pgs back-

Volmarias posted:

I hope you don't actually think that your coworkers are the reason that butts are being returned to seats, instead of a need to survey domains

No. I agree, it has way more to do with management wanting to micromanage and the CEO being pissed that they've been paying for empty office space, and very little to do with coworkers being unable to set boundaries and handle working from home. Regardless I don't think I want to deal with the commute anymore and this seems like a good time to find something closer to home if not a 100% WFH gig.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

Are you me?

At this point I think if my boss tells us we have to go back I’ll basically give him an ultimatum of making me work from home permanently or I’m leaving.

Blink twice.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Imagined posted:

No matter how they insist to the contrary I always assume that those kind of "anonymous" employee surveys:

1) Are not anonymous and in fact carefully tracked
2) Will never result in improvements for the employees and only ever be used to cherry-pick data to support decisions that have already been made / the status quo.

You don't need a survey to tell you employees want more money, better benefits, and a less odious work environment. If you're sending out a survey, it's because you want to "prove" you don't need to change anything because your employees are just so happy already, or you're hoping for some magical suggestion that doesn't involve spending more money.

It's like your friend with the long running terrible relationship who keeps asking you for advice. She knows the only "advice" is DTMFA, but she doesn't want to do that; she's just hoping there's some magical solution OTHER than DTMFA that somehow hasn't occurred to her, or that you'll tell her that actually, everything's fine, don't listen to the haters.

Yeah safe assumption that those surveys are not anonymous.

I made the mistake of thinking otherwise and was referred to by name later when they started responding to feedback. :yikeseroo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Imagined posted:

People laugh at government employees for being slow and lazy but that's literally the logical response of any sane person to the system they're in. If there's a perpetual freeze on raises or promotions or education, if any performance evaluation with too many "exceeds expectations" gets kicked back to supervisors to be dialed down and resubmitted, if the only reward for competency or hard work is picking up the slack and extra work from people who've already given up on trying, you're basically training people to either leave or do as little as they can possibly get away with.

If the monetary benefits of your job literally never increase (and thus actually decrease every month through inflation) and the path to promotion is permanently closed, the only way a sane, rational person has to even the scales is to do less to the fullest extent possible. Talk about perverse incentives. Generally, if you meet a government employee who is motivated and hard-working, they're either so new they don't get it yet, they've drunk an insane amount of protestant work ethic/capitalism kool-aid, or they're an intrinsically motivated saint who truly, truly believes in public service to such an extent that they're acting against their own best interests.

I will say though that the meme about it being impossible to fire government employees is complete bullshit, at least in my experience. It's very possible. You just have to have to actual documented reasons to do so, and documented efforts to get the employee to improve. You know, like a civilized place would treat firing somebody. You can't just say, "Pack your poo poo and get out." Many bosses in government are too lazy to do the necessary work to fire someone, and just bitch about how "impossible" it is instead.

This gave me a flashback to when I had one of those gigs ages back.

I had a co-worker who was at all times spiteful towards everyone younger than them who they clearly viewed as their replacements, and insanely incompetent at their job. To the point that they not only made more work for everyone else, they practically sabotaged other people's workloads, and at one point caused a good chunk of my co-workers to leave en masse after they reported the lovely co-worker to HR for harassment and all kinds of poo poo. Still not fired.
I'm sure some bean counter at the state was like, "well, they saved us on labor so why fire 'em?"
I wound up leaving a few months later because the new job paid more and was closer to home. I wonder if they're still there running on spite or if they ever did retire.