Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That gif has definitely been posted in this thread at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What PS3-level tie-in mobage is that from?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Is it typical for streaming services to replace the originally broadcast episodes if they are revised for the bluray release, or are they stuck with the embarrassing versions forever?

Netflix did not change to Blu-ray versions of AoT here and used the broadcast ones, same as other series that did get major reworks AFAIK.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It really depends but usually they get the rights to the broadcast version yeah.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Finally caught up on the last few episodes and I'm quite enjoying the gameplay cutscenes they're showing for the Switch tie-in game, though I'm not sure why they're interspersing ads like that in the middle of actual episodes :confused:

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Finally caught up on the last few episodes and I'm quite enjoying the gameplay cutscenes they're showing for the Switch tie-in game, though I'm not sure why they're interspersing ads like that in the middle of actual episodes :confused:

If there was a switch game, it would look better. I bet it would at least put "The battle of the elf forest" in a forest.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
As mainly a manga reader, there's been a lot of disconnect for me between what we're seeing in the anime. I can buy that some of this is due to the scenery not being sufficiently described in the light novels, but this random decision to feature a desert in a forest seems to be a very odd decision.

Is there something in the light novels that brought this about?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mordaedil posted:

As mainly a manga reader, there's been a lot of disconnect for me between what we're seeing in the anime. I can buy that some of this is due to the scenery not being sufficiently described in the light novels, but this random decision to feature a desert in a forest seems to be a very odd decision.

Is there something in the light novels that brought this about?

No, it takes place in a forest in the LNs as well.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

8one6 posted:

No, it takes place in a forest in the LNs as well.

I think in the WN they did destroy a chunk of the forest so the elves couldn't use hit and run attacks from the trees, IIRC. But this is almost certainly just them using the same desert background they used for the Sariela fight.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

drat, episode 24 gonna be kinky.

I guess technically a mention of a LN character.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

I see what you did there.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh, you... :pranke:

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Next episode Saturday.

Preview's out and I'm gonna post it, but I highly advise you not watch it if you haven't read the WN, LN, or Manga. Possibly even if you've read the manga still don't.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=k4YU3YtfL-o

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rough translation via the youtube comments:

quote:

Administrator D: Bringing sci-fi into a world of swords and magic, that is so un-elf-like that it's unfair! How will the demon lord army fight them? Oh, that girl that's always beside the Demon Lord is....? How did Sophia-san get on the Demon Lord's side, and how will Kumo-san's and the Demon Lord's fight turn out?!

Next: So I'm *Still* a Spider, So What?
Oh, its the last episode~

Here's the broadcast info from the Kumo Desu twitter account:

....and here's the text feed into a translator

As far as I can tell from that, it will air on Saturday at the same time of day as we normally got on Fridays.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kim Morrissy over at ANN properly translated that tweet from last week about the production issues, nothing really glaringly new, but it is a bit more clear what he was saying now.

quote:

There are a lot of insensitive tweets from people who don't know the production situation. The outsourced animation on multiple episodes completely broke down, and Millepensee had to redo it all from scratch. The staff ended up being too busy for the later episodes that were set aside for them, which is a large reason for the poor quality. The staff are quite literally killing themselves to deal with this. Please be patient with the delay...

I do agree with the sentiment that regardless of the situation at the studio, what ultimately matters is what gets broadcasted. No matter what the reason, missing the broadcast is heavily frowned upon. But I made this tweet because I just wanted people to know that my friends' studio is battling desperately for the sake of this anime. And the people who are slinging insults won't stop until someone takes their own life.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...-finale/.174653

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I suspect that the reason we got so much CGI in the second cour is because the outsourced animation was such dogshit that the main team used their existing good CGI models wherever they could to save time while scrambling to stitch together anything usable.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well they managed to finish the season. I can only imagine the state this episode was in a week and change ago if it still had this "quality" animation now, whew.

Really rushed things at the end with how much they dragged out the human side, so there wasn't enough to really let the epilogue breath. Not a fan at all of the pacing on this episode.

I can post this chart with all the known reincarnation now for the anime onlies:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I thought the animation was significantly better than the last few weeks worth. Not, like, high-end or anything, but comparable to 2D action scenes at the beginning of the series, like when Shun first fought Hugo. A little janky, but by no means unwatchable.

For a finale, I was actually pretty satisfied with that! If we don't get a second season, it was just good enough to drive people to check out the light novels. If we do get a second season, it's set up all the pieces. They probably could have stretched this one into two episodes and crunched down some scenes elsewhere, but maybe they just couldn't make that fit. Oh well.

More granular thoughts:

Kumoko's new visuals: It's interesting that they hewed way closer to the light novel depiction, rather than the geiger-esque version that the manga ended up with. I know they said in an interview that the manga has very little supervision, so I guess they just sorta struck out on their own. At first, in this anime version, I thought the spider half was going to become too static now that she had a human half, but during the fight they managed to squeeze in some 'reactions' from the spider head, and, I thought, toed the line pretty well from showing an unreacting spider face (like what people have been perceiving) and the goofiness of Kumoko as she's been perceiving herself.

Plot lines: These were a little squeezed for time, but nothing atrocious. We skipped Kumoko almost screwing up by using the egg-laying method. In the other versions, because she had just hatched from an egg (and the eggs were by necessity, a fraction of the size of her old body), Kumoko was so weak that she didn't have the stamina to evolve. She literally would have starved to death mid-evolution. This was a neat tie-in with the dragon Ariel killed, since he died for Kumoko's sake, and then his corpse is used to sustain her. Oh well. Otherwise, on the Kumoko side, we got almost all the story beats.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 3, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am a bit sad that the story's wifu was cut so hard.
In the webnovel Rondat would have ran into Kumoko while she was recovering from the re-rebirth. And then she would have accidentally give him enough tips to become mankind's strongest mage, and convince him to become the Hero's mentor. In the anime he barely appears.

Animation was terrible of course, but I hope we get a second season. Or at least a bonus episode with the "vampire girl goes to demon school" arc.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

One silly thing that made me laugh: When Kumoko's human head was just decapitated instead of pulped, I assumed that was for censor reasons.

However, when Ariel and Potimas were chatting, it seemed like Kumoko skittered off to the side and picked it up and allowed regeneration to reattached it, which is hilarious.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

VictualSquid posted:

In the webnovel

The anime is following the Light Novel, and that particular scene you're describing doesn't occur in the LN, since some events got shuffled around. A scene with said character during the coup did get cut from the anime, though, which disappointed me (though, considering the coup's animation issues, maybe it was for the best...)

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm satisfied with this ending. It was funny seeing Kumo continue doing her inner monologue thing the entire time, except this time with her human half just looking around with extremely mild expressions and reactions, presumably similar to how introverted she was in her previous life.

Also find it funny how much speculation there was on whether Ariel was actually Kumo or someone else when the answer ended up being "a little bit of both". It's interesting too since the show made it explicit how this isn't Body Mind taking over her body or personality completely or whatnot but that they created, for all intents and purposes, a new person.
I also liked the last shot of the episode, just because it really brings home how Kumo/Shiro really was the hero of this story all along and that Shun and company were really just annoying pests getting in the way. Fei really was too good for those fools :allears:

Speaking of, I'm glad Shun seems to FINALLY gain some much needed context around everything that's going on around him from Taboo. Seeing him flail around helplessly all gung-ho about being a hero/saving everyone etc. is fine as establishing character traits but was starting to wear thin when it became clear that nothing Shun was doing or saying was accomplishing anything and that he needed to cut that poo poo out ages ago while the adults in the room were talking. Regardless of whatever direction his character goes from here (I, for one, would find it intriguing if, armed with knowledge of the nature of the world, he actually doubles down on opposing Shiro on ideological grounds and becomes something of a central antagonist. You maintain the typical Fantasy Hero-Villain dynamic but twist around the stakes) he should at least be better equipped to make his decisions, terrible or otherwise. A flawed, misguided character is significantly better to watch than a naive, ignorant one, and Shun up to this point was emphatically the latter.

Finally, maybe it's just me but Terminator Potimas is just the best thing :allears:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

So the church killing everyone leveling Taboo is because Pope Kevin, or whatever his name was, knows about Ariel and Potimas-800 and the whole apocalypse thing and wants to prevent everyone else from getting that knowledge?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can post this chart with all the known reincarnation now for the anime onlies:

One of these is wrong... :smug:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I do hope they solve their production issues and can do a second season. The upcoming content is great, especially now that Kumoko has people to interact with now

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I do hope an S2 will be made, but hopefully with a different studio for obvious reasons. A high action series like this needs a good animation studio behind it so maybe the committee can ditch the current one and negotiate with another to put it in their schedule. Maybe David or some other bigger one

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

So the church killing everyone leveling Taboo is because Pope Kevin, or whatever his name was, knows about Ariel and Potimas-800 and the whole apocalypse thing and wants to prevent everyone else from getting that knowledge?

People don't tend to react well to "the world is going to end and there is literally nothing any of the vast majority of us can do about it."

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
All of the reincarnators that signed up with Ariel, but that horned one especially, give off major Bravely Default villain vibes.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Taboo information is quite a lot, and quite unbelievable, so trying to deliver it while your interlocutor is swinging a sword at you for killing elves or whatever other apparently evil thing you've been doing recently could be challenging.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My girlfriend walked in and asked what I was watching and I got to explain that a spider girl was fighting an elf terminator to save a vampire baby.

A+ show will watch more

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

There's are in-story reasons why the demons don't just explain everything to Oka. And why she doesn't explain what she knows to Shun. But to be honest, those are just justifications to create conflict in the story.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

This has been the show I've been looking forward to the most all year despite how terrible the animation has gotten. I just really enjoy the story, even lame Shun and his friends to a certain extent. Please put out a second season, but get a competent studio this time. Also I wish Mangadex would hurry up and become functioning again, I really want to catch up on the manga but have been unable too since they went down.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Bobulus posted:

There's are in-story reasons why the demons don't just explain everything to Oka. And why she doesn't explain what she knows to Shun. But to be honest, those are just justifications to create conflict in the story.

Are there in story reasons why they don't explain it to Shun? Or, possibly, not act like murderous bastards to Shun and then act frustrated when he actually assumes they're the bad guys?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bremen posted:

Are there in story reasons why they don't explain it to Shun? Or, possibly, not act like murderous bastards to Shun and then act frustrated when he actually assumes they're the bad guys?

Well Shun's friend is just executing the plan and seemed to act just kind of confused at why Shun and co were so desperate to help the Elves despite all the evidence that they're not on the level. I can kind of buy that.

Sophia as far as I can tell is just kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Super Jay Mann posted:

Well Shun's friend is just executing the plan and seemed to act just kind of confused at why Shun and co were so desperate to help the Elves despite all the evidence that they're not on the level. I can kind of buy that.

Sophia as far as I can tell is just kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Well, his reaction to stabbing someone Shun started crying over wasn't to apologize, no "I tried to pull back my sword but it all happened too fast", it was to whine about how stupid she was for throwing herself in front of the sword in a voice that was far more annoyed than sad.

They're both pretty much doing everything possible to make themselves look like horrible people and it's pretty annoying we're supposed to believe they're actually the good guys but can't say anything for "reasons."

Also I would think an actual sane person would realize there might be a reason Shun realizes the Elves aren't saints but still opposes slaughtering their women and children, but maybe that's me.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 3, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I mean Sophia really hates the elves because they killed her family and are destroying the world. Also Shun's family was behind the army that burned down her hometown.
And if I remember his webnovel backstory corrrectly Wrath hates humans because they killed his family, genocideded his race and enslaved him for years.

But, yes the real reason is because they want to keep more tension in the story.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

I mean Sophia really hates the elves because they killed her family and are destroying the world. Also Shun's family was behind the army that burned down her hometown.
And if I remember his webnovel backstory corrrectly Wrath hates humans because they killed his family, genocideded his race and enslaved him for years.

But, yes the real reason is because they want to keep more tension in the story.

I mean, that would be a place to start. "By the way, the elves are destroying the world, how about you listen to what we have to say?" But instead we specifically got "It's clear you already side with them, so we won't bother explaining our motives."

I love the rest of the story but I really hate plot devices like that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Now that we've effectively finished the LN 5 content in the Anime, this is half of the series summary up to this point from the LN thread.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

After this episode I'm imagining that in every scene where Kumoko shows up in the future timeline that she's still yapping away without pause in her own mind while standing around silently and now I wish we could hear it :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm very glad they did not cut maou shoujo Ariel chan.