Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I still can't loving believe Potimas is a terminator.

Also was there a timeskip or can Kumoko separate her human body from her spider body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also was there a timeskip or can Kumoko separate her human body from her spider body?

Yes, there was a timeskip.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Pretty decent final ep. I can see why they skipped over the prelude to evolution bit. Still felt rushed which is a pity given there was padding in some of the recent episodes like the "reporting from the scene of Ohts vs Sariella" and some of the waffle in the fights in the elf forrest.

I still can't loving believe Potimas is a terminator.

You know how in Kumoko's scenes Sophia is a baby and in the human ones she's a teenager? We're seeing events that are 15 years apart.

ConanTheLibrarian fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 3, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:doh:

I missed Sophia in the final scene, so I got confused there.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

:doh:

I missed Sophia in the final scene, so I got confused there.

It was a bit confusing because right at the end they jumped from Arachne!Kumoko with Ariel and vampire guy with baby Sophia to White!Kumoko with Ariel, vampire guy, and adult Sophia + a few others with framing that made it not obvious Kumoko was entirely human in the second shot.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Something they skipped in the anime was Ariel finally giving Kumoko a name. You’ll probably see people refer to her as “Shiro” or “White” going forward, which is what almost everyone else calls her going forward in the story. In the LN it happened right after Ariel proposed the truce.

She does initially suggest calling her “hime” or “princess” which is one of the ways the characters in Wakaba’s name can be pronounced, but White shot that down.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

love this Fei

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

She looks like a sock puppet.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
She looks like someone made a sock puppet out of falcor from neverending story.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

After this episode I'm imagining that in every scene where Kumoko shows up in the future timeline that she's still yapping away without pause in her own mind while standing around silently and now I wish we could hear it :allears:

This is technically a spoiler, but doesn't really spoil anything: In a future scene, Kumoko will be with a group of people, and will be asked what to do to fix a problem. She then proceeds to have a long conversation in her head, weighing the pros and cons of various approaches, and eventually comes to a decision. At which point, all she says aloud is something like 'OK, let's do that,' and starts walking away to implement it, leaving everyone else very confused.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
They somehow at the very end managed to somehow bring things mostly back on track with the LN's even if the animation was still a little janky but this episode really felt to me like it delivers on what makes this series so exceptional for me to read (LN & Manga).

e: highlights:

Ariel's complete transformation as a sort of Ariel-Aoi Yuuki gestalt/composite and,

the contrast between Kumoko/Wakaba's inner monologue and how her human form acts versus her spider form which is really adorable.

The fight between Wakaba/Potimas while the animation didn't really do it full justice was pretty much spot on in delivering on what I like about this series; the way Wakaba thinks really hard during combat and is actually really tactical in how she weighs her options is properly on display. Something the series has yet to properly convey with Shun who is being robbed blind of characterization.

e2: As a side note I'm still at the start of LN7 and moused over a couple of minor unmarked future LN spoilers that were mixed in with episode spoilers; it'd be nice if people properly warned (LN) before doing so. :mad:

e3:

Super Jay Mann posted:

Speaking of, I'm glad Shun seems to FINALLY gain some much needed context around everything that's going on around him from Taboo. Seeing him flail around helplessly all gung-ho about being a hero/saving everyone etc. is fine as establishing character traits but was starting to wear thin when it became clear that nothing Shun was doing or saying was accomplishing anything and that he needed to cut that poo poo out ages ago while the adults in the room were talking. Regardless of whatever direction his character goes from here (I, for one, would find it intriguing if, armed with knowledge of the nature of the world, he actually doubles down on opposing Shiro on ideological grounds and becomes something of a central antagonist. You maintain the typical Fantasy Hero-Villain dynamic but twist around the stakes) he should at least be better equipped to make his decisions, terrible or otherwise. A flawed, misguided character is significantly better to watch than a naive, ignorant one, and Shun up to this point was emphatically the latter.

Finally, maybe it's just me but Terminator Potimas is just the best thing :allears:

This sort of thing is basically why I think everything would have been considerably better if this had been the manga adaption instead because we wouldn't have the pacing and characterization issues resulting from cut or rearranged or contextless scenes. With the Human side being its own adaption maybe after the fact.

Regarding Shun: Shun up until this point in the LN's is way more fleshed out and his motivations and thought process in general makes way more sense; and some events that occur that make Shun look especially dumb in the anime flow better on paper. One thing that gets glossed over is that Shun is pretty powerful in his own right, especially in pure stats; he, Katia, and Sue basically non-stop are training their entire lives so in the books its especially shocking that Sophia is able to no-sell their attacks because they're getting just outright Worfed and there's a bit of lag before the realization he's outclassed properly catches up to him because of a series of fast paced events that happen post-coup. The rearranging or cutting of these scenes inadvertently is what contributes to Shun seemingly being dumb because he's accidentally given a lot more time to be thinking about whats happening but doesn't when originally he doesn't have it like so.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 4, 2021

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

DurosKlav posted:

Also I wish Mangadex would hurry up and become functioning again, I really want to catch up on the manga but have been unable too since they went down.

These are the links you want.

Maxwell Adams fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 4, 2021

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
very cool that The Shadow of the Labyrinth or whatever it was called was just a side effect of kumoko letting all her offspring wander off to annihilate the ecosystem of the labyrinth. worst mom of the year for sure

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

very cool that The Shadow of the Labyrinth or whatever it was called was just a side effect of kumoko letting all her offspring wander off to annihilate the ecosystem of the labyrinth. worst mom of the year for sure

She's a much better mom than in the WN where instead of her providing her children with food, THEY are the ones who go hunting for food to provide to Kumoko upon her egg revival, with a corresponding high attrition rate since they are so weak and tiny

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Maxwell Adams posted:

These are the links you want.

Many thanks!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I just really want chapter 52.2, kinda sucks to be on a cliffhanger like that. And sadly now the anime has kinda spoiled what is going to happen, but at least the authors take is still going to be interesting.

Speaking of the anime, it's a shame what happened with the studio just kind of dropping the ball forcing the animators in-house to work themselves to death, but the results they got was fairly good.

In retrospect, I feel like the manga solution of focusing on Kumoko was the correct one. I wish they'd do a cour of only her and then present the human side as sort of a B-side only for the narratives to meet near the end here.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

Kumoko's mom killed and ate her offspring. Of the spider mothers she's easily only second worst.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mordaedil posted:

In retrospect, I feel like the manga solution of focusing on Kumoko was the correct one. I wish they'd do a cour of only her and then present the human side as sort of a B-side only for the narratives to meet near the end here.

Vague LN spoilers, sort of... The anime sped through a little less than half of the LNs, but the next half is almost entirely from the viewpoint of Team Spider. Volume 11 is almost entirely human side and I can see them cutting that apart to intersperse into season 2 if they want to have the same sort of structure as S1.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mordaedil posted:

I just really want chapter 52.2, kinda sucks to be on a cliffhanger like that. And sadly now the anime has kinda spoiled what is going to happen, but at least the authors take is still going to be interesting.

Speaking of the anime, it's a shame what happened with the studio just kind of dropping the ball forcing the animators in-house to work themselves to death, but the results they got was fairly good.

Personally I was sold on Kumo because of the manga which was my entry point because the manga takes a very interesting direction with it; specifically its a much more bleaker story with a much more oppressive atmosphere where everything is setup to be against Kumoko; her story being about gritting her teeth to survive by any means necessary with this framing is compelling but also full with a solemn ennui.

I think its a great approach to adapting the LN to really get the reader in Kumoko's headspace, but I am not sure if it is the only possible approach. I think if the production hadn't collapsed or was done by a different more experienced studio, and most importantly I think if it had more episodes to work with, I think a straight up adaption of the LN would have worked fine.

However being that as it may, if the studio anticipating its shortcomings had picked the Manga adaption route; doing Kumoko's story first, using the full episode allotment on just Kumoko's side of the story up until (latest episode) Her truce with Ariel and really polishing and delivering on what makes the story great? Missed opportunity to really compete with the other heavy hitters of this season. :(

Especially since the human side of things is interesting, and can if it was split off and had the cut content added back in, or had brief scenes elaborated on and expanded on, would be a pretty good season/anime in its own right.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
When was Shun accumulating Taboo? Or did he just hit 10 from rezzing the Elf?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Anora posted:

When was Shun accumulating Taboo? Or did he just hit 10 from rezzing the Elf?

In the light novels, he rezzes multiple people and gets a couple taboo levels each time.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They also obviously mentioned he could do that before this point.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
How many times do they have to kill Hugo for it to finally stick?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Bobulus posted:

In the light novels, he rezzes multiple people and gets a couple taboo levels each time.

To be specific, he does it 5 times

(Spoilers for things that should have already happened in the show but were cut):
Katia
Katia's parents and his non-rear end in a top hat brother after they were executed for treason
And Anna

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Manga has finally gotten to the fight with the terminator

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Apparently she has black skin under her white chitin in the manga.

To be honest, I quite like the manga Arachne form.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Apparently she has black skin under her white chitin in the manga.

To be honest, I quite like the manga Arachne form.

I like the fully human top half from the anime better, I think, but that might have just been because they already had the design from the future scenes and were under time constraints.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think I like the creativity of her manga version more because there's already been a billion fully human top half arachne designs from the various flavours of Monster Girl stuff out there and this is an interesting attempt at something different.

I am especially liking the way she continues to emote as she usually does as her spider half while her human half is more mute. Representing the duality of her inner vs outer nature which we didn't have in the anime; which reversed it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I like the manga version, mostly because I prefer more monstrous designs.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Manga arachne is insufficiently monstrously huge to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's strange for her to jump from the previous small sizes to a giant form. kumoko was never particularly large by taratect standards.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's strange for her to jump from the previous small sizes to a giant form. kumoko was never particularly large by taratect standards.

Arachne isn't particularly large by Taratect standards either.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

A taratect is roughly approximately human sized; the manga portray's her as being smaller because that's how she sees herself?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

You get the sense that she's small because she's fighting frogs and snakes and things that should be small, but everything is bigger than you think in the labryinth.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rubellavator posted:

You get the sense that she's small because she's fighting frogs and snakes and things that should be small, but everything is bigger than you think in the labryinth.

That too but in the manga at least Kumoko fairly early on guessimates the size of Mother relative to a human and has herself only slightly shorter than a human i.e she's like Dwarf height.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

For most of the series, she is roughly the size of a largish dog, like a Saint Bernard or something. At first, this was because she was a (small) version of a taratect, probably because she was newly hatched. After that, she left the taratect line and became spider species that were, fully-grown, smaller than a fully-grown taratect. In the light novel, she does this deliberately, because one of the evolution requirements of the Arachne was being a spider monster of medium or smaller size. So if she'd stayed in the taratect line and become the size of a bus, she wouldn't have been able to go arachne.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

In the LN though, the Arachne is about the size of a full size van, and a half dozen people can easily sit on top of her spider abdomen

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Nitrousoxide posted:

In the LN though, the Arachne is about the size of a full size van, and a half dozen people can easily sit on top of her spider abdomen

this ride is really freaking me out scoobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Given the spiders we see, this might be what the evolution tree means by "medium" sized spider. So she could evolve into an arachne from a spider form that's that size or smaller, but not bigger.

IIRC she starts as a "small lesser taratect" and gets the option to evolve to either a "small taratect" or a "lesser taratect" and keeps picking the forms that are described as small. So the bigger taratect spiders we see in the anime might be the medium size.