Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Voice of Labor posted:

if you're trying to parse a sentence into it's logical structure, "but" and "and" mean the same thing. both are just conjunction, true iff both conjuncts are true. I get the distinction you're trying to drive home, it requires more than substituting that pair of words to make.
I mean... "good" and "bad" are both just adjectives but that doesn't mean they mean the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Voice of Labor posted:

they also serve different functions in language, and and but don't.

try it, leave out a but or an and and use a comma and see if it changes the meaning of your sentence.
"The weather channel said today would be nice and now it's very warm." This describes the sequence of events, but does not really have a clear indication of how they are connected. Is very warm good? Maybe.

"The weather channel said today would be nice, now it's very warm." This is not a sentence.

"The weather channel said today would be nice but now it's very warm." This implies that what the weather channel said turned out to be wrong, meaning it is probably too warm.

I have no idea where you're coming from with this argument but it is dumb. I'm not looking to continue a dumb derail like this, but my point is that your attempt to tell people how to do a language made no sense and was bad.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Saying Louis CK was "always a creep" because he joked about masturbating a lot or something is really stupid and downplays the reality of him actually turning out to have done bad things.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

twerking on the railroad posted:

Actually that part of rambo has been roundly criticized in recent years.

PTSD and vagrancy sure, but the "spit on me and call me baby killer" bit has not really been part of contemporaneous accounts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spitting_Image
Next you're gonna tell me no one burned their bras!!