Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I watched LA Confidential last night and it was weird seeing Kevin Spacey in it, even though he's not the only shithead to appear on screen theres something about how the characters he portrays tend to have an innate slimey-shithead-ness to them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

What does it say?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah, all art requires people to play roles and quite often those roles involve you to talk about doing terrible things you didn’t actually do to make a point. Once it became clear CK was actually doing those things I don’t think it’s illogical to be disgusted by those acts.

The problem with Louie CKs act is that part of his thing was walking right up to the line of acceptability in a way that requires a lot of trust from the audience. The SNL bit about child molesters is a good example because the whole gag is him saying something horrible and then desperately trying to walk it back. The punchline of the joke is the visible relief in making it to the end of the monologue without [in kayfabe] ruining his career. It straight up doesn't work if he actually has ruined his career.

I think part of the reason Chris Brown is still around is that in his job he can just shut up and play the music, he's not required to face the audience with just a microphone and his personality. Putting aside the ethics of Supporting Problematic Artists and whether or not Chris Brown should have a career - practically speaking it's a lot easier to separate that kind of performance from the person.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 10, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

There is a film where a stunt man hit a bridge and died and that shot is in the film, but cuts before impact. I don't remember what film though.

XxX. Though it also happened in Comes A Horseman, during a scene where a horse was supposed to drag a man to death the horse actually dragged the stuntman to death. Footage was used.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Darko posted:

Mackey was a kind of antihero early on, but became a villain by the end. I think he even shifted away from being the main protagonist towards the end into an antagonist.

Mackey literally murders another cop in cold blood in the first episode

He's always the protagonist though because protagonist means 'character we follow who incites the action' not 'good person'. Same as Walter White.

It's understandable to want to see him succeed in a way that its fun to watch bad people execute crazy schemes, but its not like his story was one of moral decline, he's a piece of poo poo from day one.

The Shield does have a handful of Good Cops but the general thrust of the show is generally that the LAPD sucks. Its based on the real rampart scandal and the LAPD's CRASH unit (who allegedly murdered Biggie Smalls).

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 19, 2021