Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
If art history has taught me one thing, it's that artists as a whole are degenerate lunatics who in shunning honest trade, have chosen to participate in mankind's only worthy project-

Art.

When aliens archeologists piece together the black history of our doomed planet, it's our art that will both survive and define us.

The written word, the picture, every symbol we ever scratched onto a material is a participation in our specie's only form of immortality. The crudely drawn, now-extinct animals etched tens of thousands of years ago in Europeans caves are no different in my eyes than the works of David Lynch, Pablo Picasso or Rembrandt.

The process of creative industry I see as a transcendental expression, and when someone creates a true thing all faults and all history of the individual melts away as they are reconnecting with probably the best aspect of our nature.

Judging a work by it's creator is simply insane. For every scandal that was made public, there's 10 more horrifying incidents that were covered up and forgotten about. One should seek to outdo one's heroes, because meeting them will always lead to disappointment.

So when I see films made by literal monsters, I feel that it adds context rather than moralistic baggage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
When listening to a choir;

Do you run off to do meticulous background checks on every single singer until you're able to have an informed opinion?

-or-

Do you enjoy the music in a quest for personal enlightenment?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

TrixRabbi posted:

I feel like this thread is entirely on topic? We're largely discussing how lovely people have depicted/hid/managed their lovely behavior through their works and why the two things are interconnected. Is that not the exact point of the OP?

- Woody Allen is accused of molesting his daughter and his work belies an unhealthy obsession with young girls.
- Louis CK made a career of telling everybody he's a terrible person and how awful men are and lo and behold everything he said wasn't really a joke
- Roman Polanski is a misogynist and a child rapist and his films are filled with explorations of traumatized and abused women and frank sexuality
- Joss Whedon presented himself as a feminist who sought to empower women but really was an abusive rear end in a top hat, showing the overarching thesis of his body of work (badass women being empowered) was fraudulent
- James Cameron is a dick to work with, is that on par with what any of these guys have done? Does that extend into abuse? Do you feel uncomfortable watching his films cause sometimes he screams at his employees?

Seems like everything you made the thread to discuss.

It sort of feels like the thread has shaken into a "naming and shaming" cycle, rather than a slightly esoteric discussion about the merits of art made by deviants.

I'm going to make one more effort post here and then push this thread into the sea.