Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I've never watched a Dirty Harry movie, I just rememember seeing this cafe shootout scene from the fourth movie Sudden Impact and being absolutely awestruck of the racist conservative power fantasy and that I would never touch them ever.

That's why I keep going back to the comments of how much of the problematic artist is in the film. I tend to read most movies politically so I'm horrified by Zahler's violent racism or Allen's weird grooming movies. Eastwood's known conservatism doesn't make him a bad person on the same level, but it does tend to colour my perception and distrust of his art.

That's different than early Polanski or Singer where the art feels less thematic to their bad sides and I view as problematic because of their creator's separate actions rather than a problematic creation because it's melded to its creator's problems. I'd feel much more icky watching a gross Zahler film than Rosemary's Baby.

It's weird where problematic themes of movies when combined with the artist's known problem just serves as a double whammy. I'm in no way conflating say Eastwood and Polanski (gently caress that guy) as people but how movie themes can make it much harder to stomach or separate art from artist as this original thread showed.

Like Allen and Zahler are just inseparable from their art thematically and I don't even get curious. But I've actively avoided Polanski too despite the tug to rewatch The Pianist in a theatre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU