Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Counterpoint: Hannah Gatsby never showed anyone her junk nonconsensually, I can just watch Nanette instead of Chewed Up. There's no shortage of content even if you blacklist every known sexpest.

but what if you want to watch a comedy special featuring comedy? these two things are completely incomparable. idea that louis deserves to be an unperson for his misdeeds and inadequate self-flagellation seems more like you trying to run up the score for internet clout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

You can watch him.

But his comedy now sucks because he does right wing cancel culture racist jokes. So he’s not even funny any more.

I do wish the worst for him but that’s just me.

i haven't watched his new poo poo i feel conflicted about his response and wonder if he's actually remorseful or just pathetic, but criticism to his new material seems fueled by a desire not to give a comedian the benefit of the doubt because of his sexual deviance. his best show literally opens with his defense of using slurs and people giving contextless examples of his new bits as evidence he's a right winger now is dubious at best.

sticklefifer posted:

A lot of the problem was that Louis' initial apology felt like he didn't GET what the problem was, which was the power dynamic and that he surrounded himself with people who actively prevented the knowledge of it from getting out for years. He was more or less "sorry I misread the situation, I'll just go away for a while", instead of "I acknowledge that I used my clout to put women in uncomfortable sexual situations and I really need to put in the work to change". He didn't do anything to get better, he just avoided the issue for a while. Then he came back like it was nothing and now he's a bitter bitch about the whole thing.

Contrast that with someone who I do think did it the right way, Dan Harmon. He took the time to reflect on his problems, understood exactly how he hosed up, apologized directly and publicly for it, and took the right steps to make up for it.

to a casual media consumer, the wide net cast caught both him and weinstein, so of course he's cagey about it. but on the other hand he's a famously pathetic trash person so who fuckin knows.

I got the tude now fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 8, 2021

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Louis C.K. did technically apologize, but he also wrote, directed, produced, and starred in a passion project about how it's ok to be a sex pest and went full chud after he wasn't immediately forgiven and allowed to go back to pretending it never happened.

what movie ?? I love you daddy looked like it was about woody allen which makes pulling it for being a sex weirdo look more like calling him a child molester which is bizarre.

rodbeard posted:

He used the only conservative joke.

it's insanely obvious but he's not grafted to twitter so he might not have seen it a million times, also it's one bit out of context so gently caress you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

One thing I will almost never go with is a third party's report of a comedy set. I've seen multiple jokes taken wildly out of context because the person reporting decides to take all of the context out or ignore the tone given to make things sound entirely different. Then their take goes viral and is taken as fact, but you actually see it in context and it's wildly different. Comedy sets are all about tone, buildup, etc. with all kind of callbacks to prior jokes or the theme of the set, etc. and that's not portrayed with one joke said in isolation in print.

I still won't watch CK's stuff yet because I don't think he really did enough, but I take much of that third party reporting on comedy sets with a grain of salt.

great standup is essentially in character performance as well. being a comic involves writing material, not simply being someone whose personality is inherently funny. rodney dangerfield wasn't living his life as a vinyl siding salesman saying he gets no respect, and louie's material was elevated from weird-absurd observations when he integrated parts of himself to create a more relatable persona onstage. the line is blurry on purpose and looking at it is the sausage factory.