Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Really interesting thread, OP, and one that makes me honestly think. Hard to be funny in it though. Yikes

fr0id posted:

I was more interested in peoples’ opinions on viewing the films rather than being a cataloguing of abusers and debate about the the abusers themselves. The latter in particular seems to be causing some folks to get snippy with each other. And I don’t want to just be overlap with the existing abusers in Hollywood thread.

I guess for me the answer is...it kind of depends? Which is the lamest of cop outs, I admit, but is the only honest way I can answer without thinking about it more. For whatever various reasons, there are several that I've forgiven and still enjoy but countless others I've written off and no consistency as to why.

fr0id posted:

I do think Woody Allen is a good personal example of someone whose work I’m not interested in because it’s a direct reflection of what he’s famously a creep for. I have no interest in a romantic comedy about a dude in his 40s and a teenager/child. Maybe that was more accepted back in the 70s? But I kind of question what it was a bunch of critics saw in the movie that would make them recommend it and not really bring up “oh hey this is creepy.”

Like, for Woody Allen, I was never all that wild about his films to begin with aside from a few. Same with Polanski. So not watching them isn't really a huge personal sacrifice for me since I've already seen any of the stuff they made that I care about watching and there's tons of poo poo out there competing for my time.

Not movie related, but I'm reminded of Michael Vick who wound up playing for my favorite team after he was released from prison. Seemed to me he did his time and genuinely changed into a better and different person but I remember catching poo poo from really hardcore animal lovers who were mad at me for not changing my football team. And I understood their issue to be honest.

Mike Tyson is an athlete I put in a similar category. I used to really enjoy watching him fight and saw him as a generational talent at his peak. The more I learn about him, the more I can see him as someone who's trying but lacks the support and upbringing to put it into place. It's easy to view him as a victim in some ways but then you witness some of his behavior and are like, drat. Still, he served his punishment.

Michael Jackson is another one. I like some of his music but was always partial to Prince. None of the allegations against MJ were proven but, still, there's a lot of smoke there and without his vast fortune, I wonder what the legal outcomes might have been. Or if he'd been targeted or put in that situation in the first place. It's no huge loss to my life to never hear "Billie Jean" or "Rock With You" again but I don't turn it off or make a scene when I hear it either. Like Tyson, when you learn more about his upbringing and support network, one can easily start to view him a sympathetic light and consider him a victim of sorts.

I dunno.

To tie it into Hollywood, I don't recall seeing Eddie Murphy brought up. He said some really abhorrent things about gay people in his wildly successful stand up acts that I honestly think are directly responsible for a lot of mainstream attitudes and hate against homosexuals during the 80's. As a bi man myself, a lot of it was difficult for me.

rodbeard posted:

Am I the only one that can't stand seeing Tom Cruise in anything because of his involvement in scientology? I know there's a ton of celebrities in the church, but Tom Cruise is the only one high up enough that I feel is actually culpable in the poo poo the church gets up to.

I put him and people like James Woods in similar categories. They're both good actors who have said some really dumb poo poo but near as I can tell haven't DONE anything to anyone and mostly just talk poo poo so I can separate art from artist easier.

Then you get into something like Quentin Tarantino's obsession with bare feet. It's become impossible over time not to acknowledge that he's intentionally writing scenes into his films so he can perv out on Uma Thurman, Selma Hayek, Margot Robbie and Bridget Fonda but, then again, near as I can tell it's all consensual. More troubling there is his closeness with Weinstein and in both cases there's the obvious issue of power balance.

Matthew Broderick loving killed 2 people in a car accident and you never hear much about how he managed to walk. Mark Wahlberg brutally beat up a Korean gay man a long time ago for being Korean and gay. Keifer Sutherland has 4 DUI's. Elvis surrounded himself with 15 year old girls. John Wayne was a white supremacist. Dice Clay did a lot of really hosed up stand up material but I've never heard of an account where he DID anything to a gay person or a woman, who were the main targets in his act.

TL/DR: Again, my mileage varies and if I'm being honest I can't always explain why.

It's interesting to think about. Christ, if this thread were just about musicians...poo poo...we could be here all day (Jagger, Bowie, Jimmy Page, R. Kelly, Manson, MJ, Chuck Berry, Vince Neil)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TrixRabbi posted:

Took me a second to realize you meant Marilyn Manson because I was gonna say, I know Charlie cut a record but he's kinda more known for the race war death cult lmao

I meant Shirley Manson. The poo poo that woman got up to deserves its own thread, my god.

I meant Marilyn

This came up in another thread but you can really assemble an all star cast of shithead actors with horrible political opinions alone and I wondered what that movie might look like.

Here it is

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3512233&pagenumber=2952&perpage=40#post512466229

Now I'm wondering how good a movie you could make with the known creeps and criminals we're talking about and it would probably be pretty awesome

Also, I haven't seen Danny Trejo's name come up yet. He did some very questionable poo poo a long time ago but seems to fall into the category of atonement and having paid the price. I care less about the drug dealing than the multiple armed robberies but also admit I don't know his whole story.

Jared Leto's either. He is sometimes a good actor but the lines he seemed to cross on the set of Suicide Squad are pretty hard to hand wave with a method acting brush.

Now that I'm thinking about it, what about Alfred Hitchcock who, from all accounts, was a real rucking creep?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 16, 2021