Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
This is really a tough one for me, and I end up applying my standards really inconsistently. Some are easy for me. Like, gently caress Polanski, dude assraped a child and then fled the country and continued to have a great career. gently caress that guy, it's easy for me to not watch his movies. Victor Salva was a little tougher, because I love horror and thought the first half of Jeepers Creepers was incredible. But, again, children. And John Landis, if only for his lovely glee when he got off completely after killing two kids and a guy. But mostly because he killed three people.

But then, there's dudes like Paul WS Anderson, who i read recently is a real shithead when it comes to his stunt actors. That one is tough, because I love Mortal Kombat and Event Horizon, and his adoration for his wife was kind of adorable to me. But, I don't think I can watch his poo poo anymore. And Louis CK, I think is hilarious, but gently caress, man, I don't know. Same with, like Michael Jackson.

Then again, I never really liked Kevin Spacey, so it's easy for me to skip his work. Craig Zahler- I loved Bone Tomahawk and Brawl, and, honestly, I didn't really pick up on all the troubling aspects a lot of other people did, I just enjoyed watching wild, insane movies. I dunno, man, it's just really hard to figure it all out. I work in TV/Film, and luckily, I've only really had this issue once, with a project coordinator who had a credible accusation against him assaulting/harassing a wardrober, so I've been forced to cut him out. That sucks, because I really liked him, and he gave me my first break.

All this word vomit I guess to say that I find this to be really difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
The gently caress is this guy on about?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

:owned:

This is exactly how I feel too. You articulated it perfectly. I hate knowing anything about the people behind the movies I like because I assume they're probably lovely people to some degree.

I agree totally. My wife really likes the marvel movies, and she's completely charmed by all the actors in them. She likes the cute videos they make and, like, the Ryan Reynolds/Hugh Jackman combo, you know stuff like that.

But i can't do the celebrity worship thing, because I don't want to have to hate an actor that i like, you know? Especially since, like, Louis CK and Chris Delia, and to a lesser extent Tim Allen (poo poo, fucken comedians, right?)

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I would also just like to say that it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who struggles with this, despite what social media may indicate to me

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

I also think there's an element of redemption available. Like, Charles S Dutton straight-up killed a dude. Like, no poo poo, killed a man and went to prison for it. While in prison, he got clean, started acting and has made a career of it. But Alien³ is still a movie I'll watch, because he's shown contrition and penance and has done the hard work of restorative justice.

I did not know this about it, but it is nice to see that sort of thing. I don't know anything about Max Landis, apart from wasn't there some weird slapping video a while ago?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

Max Landis is what you get when you have the ultimate helicopter parent

Hahahahahaha, gently caress

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
You know, she brings up some good points there. Definitely something i will consider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

Here's a topic to shift away from the #metoo name-and-shame handwringing: who here automatically dismisses as a potential thing to watch any media where cops are the good guys (especially cops-on-the-edge a la Dirty Harry) in the wake of Ferguson, Trayvon Martin, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Emmitt Till, etc etc etc?

I'm kind of over any cop-centric media since I know that cops are a racist, evil institution. Like I love Kristen Stewart but oh no baby what is you doing?

I actually ran into this not long ago. I recently finished The Shield- fricken incredible show, possibly the best American drama I've ever seen(not counting the greatest of all-time, Band of Brothers). But, it's about a dirty cop. In real life, I'd want him to be locked away forever, because they HAVE to be the good guys or else the whole poo poo falls apart. But, in the show, I rooted for him, I wanted him to succeed. He'd done so much good, that surely, you can overlook his extra-judicial actions and law breaking. For a bit, I kind of struggled with that, but I came to the conclusion that it's okay for me to enjoy and even greatly love and respect the show, because it isn't real. I can enjoy that story. Especially, if I'm able to separate reality from the world of the show. And now I'm watching Luther. I think someone mentioned it in the action movie thread, but cop shows and movies just lend themselves to easy good/evil stories.