Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Voice of Labor posted:

I don't want to derail over this either, but it's real basic formal logic.

conjunction's true if both the conjuncts are true.
code:

nice and warm
t     t   t

nice , warm (and yeah, that is a sentence, that's one of the things commas are for)
t    t  t

nice but warm
t    t     t
the truth value of the operator remains consistent through all three examples

That's interesting and all, but/and there's a lot more to how people communicate than just formal logic. Most people are going to interpret "nice but warm" (or "good director but child rapist") and "nice and warm" differently, even though they have the same logical structure. I'm not really sure what point you're even trying to make here other than just being pedantic.

Anyway, I agree with TrixRabbi's original point. I've never been much of a Polanski fan, but it isn't weird at all to me that someone could make an interesting or thoughtful film about abuse and also be an abuser themselves. People are weirder and more hosed up than anyone can imagine, they're not on opposing sides. Likewise, I find the "X made this before they did that terrible thing, so it's still okay to enjoy" to be a pretty foreign mindset for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU