Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

fr0id posted:

I think a few folks are getting at, from different points of view, one of my core questions that lead me to start this thread. Some folks have mentioned not watching films due to the impacts on their own viewing experiences from knowing or seeing controversial people involved. There’s also been talk about whether watching the film gives money to the artists and trying to avoid that. Some folks, however, have kind of implied that the act of restricting oneself from watching the movie is moral. What do folks think of that? I get the idea of wanting to show solidarity with victims/survivors of the artists involved. But is that solidarity of actual value, or just tooting your own horn, so to speak?

Ultimately the question of whether or not your money is going to spent the most ethically it can will always be a losing battle - not just because of how pervasive the social issues across Hollywood are, but because the nature of their crimes (almost always sexual crimes in nature) usually involve long periods of most people not being aware of them and victims being intimidated out of speaking up. You can tweet “no ethical consumption under capitalism” as much as you want, but even Sorry to Bother You has Armie Hammer and Rosario Dawson in it.

Consuming media based on the morality of the people involved just isn’t a viable strategy, but art is communication, and recognizing that involves thinking about who you are having a conversation with and what about. I would not want to watch Louis CK whining about how hard his career is now, whether that be as a standup special or a screenplay, for the same reasons I would not want to hear a sexual assaulter whine about it to me in person. I am able to forgive people who adore Chinatown because it’s not really a film about sexuality, but I raise an eyebrow at those who would praise Last Tango in Paris while being fully aware that the product of abuse is necessarily part of its content. I Love You Daddy should never be profited off of because it is the whining of an assaulter about his own sexual politics. Chloe Grace Moretz said herself that she had no idea of what was going on with CK when she filmed it, but agrees it should never be released now.

Even then, while I don’t think avoiding media by the morality of its staff is an accurate or effective strategy, if someone decides they’re not going to consume something based on that I still wouldn’t begrudge them for it. At that point it’s a personal choice, and if something makes you feel bad, it just does and I don’t get to make that decision for you.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Martman posted:

Saying Louis CK was "always a creep" because he joked about masturbating a lot or something is really stupid and downplays the reality of him actually turning out to have done bad things.

Yeah, all art requires people to play roles and quite often those roles involve you to talk about doing terrible things you didn’t actually do to make a point. Once it became clear CK was actually doing those things I don’t think it’s illogical to be disgusted by those acts.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

Serious question: How do you feel about The Island or Deadpool 2 which have stuntmen that died as part of their creation, and in the case of Bay, the shot they die in is in the movie, and was re-used in future films?

I believe the situation was that the stuntman died during the production of Dark of the Moon, and so The Island’s shot was reused in its place.