Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

This is something that I often think about. I think ultimately, the things that I think about when I'm deciding whether to watch or consume some sort of media are not just what they believe but also whether I think whatever it is that I'm looking at is informed by the parts of their identity that I don't like. Zahler's films are fairly well-made but after his cop movie and his Puppet Master movie it's really hard to deny that all of his movies are formed from this warped, kinda racist and very conservative view of the world and I just can't get with that. Woody Allen is another one where I feel like his actions are mirrored in his movies a lot and it's very hard to ignore how much are works from his awful, lovely brain. R Kelly is someone else like this; his music is so tied up in his identity as a sexual creature that his keeping women in a sex cult colors everything that he made. Someone like John Landis, who clearly hosed up and was a bad person but doesn't really reflect that in his movies, less so.

to be perfectly honest, there are way more examples of this for music that I listen to than movies. I listen to a lot of pop music, and as much as I hate him as a person, Dr. Luke makes music that sounds incredibly good to my ears. I try to avoid streaming on platforms where I would be putting money in his pocket, but I don't think I could just completely cut Teenage Dream or Say So or Kim Petras out of my musical diet completely, especially because the music doesn't feel like a reflection of him as much as a reflection of the artist that it was made for. And I listen to a lot of rap music, which includes lots of artists who have been arrested and imprisoned for pretty much everything in the book, ranging from obvious bullshit that has way more to do with how terrible policing is, especially for black men in America (drug charges and gun charges especially), to legitimately gross and terrible things (Dr. Dre assaulting Dee Barnes). I try not to actively give money to the latter, although I can't lie and tell you that Gin and Juice is not still in my occasional rotation.

And then there are the bigger ones. I don't listen to the poo poo that Kanye West has been putting out for the last 4 years aside from maybe one listen out of curiosity, but he was probably in my top 5 most listened to artists between 2010-2015, and it's really hard to cut albums out of your life that are so important to you, especially when they were made in a time before he turned completely into a trash monster. In the same way, I still listen to Michael Jackson because he was one of my dad's favorite artists and I grew up with his music all around, and it all slaps. Both of these men also have obvious mental issues, Kanye from his occasionally untreated Bipolar and Michael Jackson for having to deal with an abusive upbringing and a completely hosed up childhood. Jackson is also easier to reason out because he's dead and cannot personal profit. Every case is different, and it's different on an individual level. Media is often so tied up with our identity and sense of self that it's hard to remove these things that were formative. It's much easier to ignore current works because we have no connection to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Franchescanado posted:

Animal abuse is the weird line I have. It's hosed up that Herzog's Nosferatu involved spray painting and setting fire to rodents, and it makes me uneasy watching it, but I can watch it, I guess. But I can't watch Cannibal Holocaust. There's never a need to actually kill an animal for a film, but there's a lot of films from the 60's and 70's that I really like or respect that include it.

One of my absolute favorite movies growing up was The Adventures of Milo and Otis. It’s is probably not something that I would watch regularly if it was just a regular movie but it’s very likely that animals were mistreated in the making of that movie (the worst allegations involve tabby cats falling off of cliffs and Pugs facing down a bear, although no one has ever actually confirmed these allegations). But my good memories of it from childhood still exist in my head as well. poo poo, I had an orange outdoor cat who was around for many years, long after I had last watched the movie, who I called Milo. It’s obviously not quite Cannibal Holocaust but it’s an example of the complicated feelings that can come up when we process art.

edit:
What in the absolute gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfXo7EgOxtc

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 14, 2021