Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
shmorky: webtoon maker and probably weird crazy girl abuser

I like their cartoons, I miss all the yelling. I think this is my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyQhDlzbPbQ

this one's also pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNhycX0XCJ0

I'm not super huge on cats but the weebl one has a good song and the lyrics are funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
A little bit of polanski movie viewing guilt can be leveraged out, he made all his good movies before doing the child rape.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Blood Boils posted:

The 9th gate and Carnage are fun. Just borrow them from the library or :filez:

Edit: I've heard Polanski was always an rear end in a top hat to women, even before Sharon Tate and everything

he is a holocaust survivor. not excusing his behavior, but it wouldn't be hard to imagine a cause other than dude sucks. I could see having both your parents gassed and then having your wife murdered cause someone to just not give a gently caress.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
if you're trying to parse a sentence into it's logical structure, "but" and "and" mean the same thing. both are just conjunction, true iff both conjuncts are true. I get the distinction you're trying to drive home, it requires more than substituting that pair of words to make.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Martman posted:

I mean... "good" and "bad" are both just adjectives but that doesn't mean they mean the same thing.

they also serve different functions in language, and and but don't.

try it, leave out a but or an and and use a comma and see if it changes the meaning of your sentence.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I don't want to derail over this either, but it's real basic formal logic.

conjunction's true if both the conjuncts are true.
code:

nice and warm
t     t   t

nice , warm (and yeah, that is a sentence, that's one of the things commas are for)
t    t  t

nice but warm
t    t     t
the truth value of the operator remains consistent through all three examples

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

TrixRabbi posted:

"But" and "And" do not mean the same thing.

In this particular case "But" implies there's a contradiction between Polanski's works being arguably feminist, exploring the trauma of women and dealing with themes of rape and abuse, while also being a rapist and a chauvinist himself. The films identify with the women, but Polanski as a person is more like the villains of these pieces. The "But" serves to separate the two warring ideas and suggest that you can consider the feminist themes while presenting Polanski's personal transgressions as some weird outlier. The "And," however, says that these two things are both true and therefore we need to reconsider what these films are intending to communicate, how Polanski's personal life recontextualizes their content, and whether anything made by a child rapist can even be considered feminist at all.

So, does being an abuser preclude Polanski from making interesting films about abuse? No. But we need to consider that point when we analyze Repulsion or Rosemary's Baby. In this essence the art and the artist are in fact intractable and the Death of the Author only applies in so much as we can say these films are feminist despite their creator.

It's all messy, I don't pretend to have an easy answer to any of these questions. Even moreso, it's not like there isn't thousands of pages of writing out there on this exact subject. But again, I just don't like the idea that you can separate the art from the artist here, particularly when the themes of the artwork are so relevant to the actual real life crime he committed.

what constitutes feminist themes in film? I swear, I'm not trying to be dense, but beyond "this movie is clearly made by people who are into this thing" I'm kind of at a loss for what it means for a movie to be of any kind of ideology let alone representative of it. the end user is what really spoils it, starship troopers is about fascists and it's made by someone who isn't into fascism and it's not endorsing fascism and I think enough people don't notice or care about the second two things that it's not real clear what at all you can pin on author intent as far as conveyed message. like, how overt does a film's moral have to be, what is to be taken as evidence for how overt it is, is it comic code stuff where the good guy has to win in the end and evil needs to be punished? specifically for feminist ideology, does it have to be about power relations along sex or gender lines? Again as far as morality or message, is it enough to tell a story or is there something most people can reasonably be expected to get as a result of watching it? on the other end of overt morality, is there an applicable standard of, like, artistic merit or is propaganda allowed or does it matter?

most importantly, if polanski was getting off on rosemary's baby and repulsion, what does that say about the tenant?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Shrecknet posted:

Here's a topic to shift away from the #metoo name-and-shame handwringing: who here automatically dismisses as a potential thing to watch any media where cops are the good guys (especially cops-on-the-edge a la Dirty Harry) in the wake of Ferguson, Trayvon Martin, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Emmitt Till, etc etc etc?

I'm kind of over any cop-centric media since I know that cops are a racist, evil institution. Like I love Kristen Stewart but oh no baby what is you doing?

not for movies so much, though the only movies/t.v. I can think of where cops are good guys are blue velvet, twin peaks and robocop. I do that for video games though which is kind of rough. two of the main actions that videogameify are investigative work and shooting dudes and cops largely have a monopoly on both. I probably wouldn't have been able to get through deadly premonition had there been a black person in greenvale

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cemetry Gator posted:

There's nothing inherently evil about the police, as a concept.

there actually is. on a conceptual level, if you need security, you've hosed up somewhere in society, either inequity or society tolerating/advocating a perverse set of values. cops are never the right answer.

on a pragmatic level, yes, it's systemic. cops are racist slave catchers and union skull crackers. that is the role of policing under capitalism. that is why police departments were formed, it's what they do.

law enforcement being depicted as heroes is pure fiction and there's so much of it because it's advantageous to capital for you to really believe and internalize that fiction

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 13, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
*replaces blanks with hollow points to get into character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
uh, you know the draft didn't end until after vietnam. it was the antiwar movement making a case that it's immoral to serve, even if compelled to, that ended the draft.

I bring this up because it was really not the case that people signed up for vietnam