Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Not paying is a nice diffusion of responsibility. I would never buy Chinatown but if it is free on my TV, well, why not watch it? If you really think about it, that ends up being a cop-out too but that's at a level where I've got poo poo to worry about. It's a wiggly line and where you set it is really your own call.

A harder discussion is one about art and what that means. Polanski and Jerrod from Subway(tm) loved to gently caress kids. I'm OK with Chinatown being on TV because it is art. Again, other than a small set of grumblers no one is shocked by that. But wouldn't it be loving weird if Subway started airing their Jerrod ads again?

But then it gets tricky again with people like Weinstein. He's a producer, so let's be clear, he's more on the money side than the art side. He's a Jerrod. But he also enabled some really amazing art. Seeing that Weinstein Company logo used to mean you were about to see a good movie.

No good answers. At the end of the day, I figure that history is full of lost art because of changes in taste/regime/whatever. That's usually viewed as a bad thing. For the Taliban, aren't art. They are blasphemy. Separating art from blasphemy easy for me to do but how is that the right view? This isn't Jesus-in-a-jar-of-piss because we understand the statement of desecration. So that can be art and blasphemy. But this is something different. If you can't create art that depicts humans (much less idols) than those statues weren't art at all. They were just offensive garbage. You know?

Anyway, we've lost better art for dumber reasons. So I guess I side with the grumblers. No one from the silent film era would have predicted that "Metropolis" is like, the one silent movie most people can name drop. Who knows which of our movies people will remember in 100 years? That's total arrogance. Which, cool I guess. But it's total arrogance that also defends really bad people. Let the bad poo poo go into the dustbin of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Not to doxx and has anyone figured out Polanski's forums name?

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Famethrowa posted:

1. Similar to "ethical consumption under capitalism", consumption is not politics, nor is it morality. You are not defined by what you consume, good or bad. A common conversation in The Book Barn is whether it is acceptable to read books by the Japanese fascist/volkisch author Mishima, because despite his politics (and hilarious death), he was a gifted writer. I don't subscribe to the theory that reading him is endorsing his politics, and the common slandering of people who read his works as fascist adjacent is abhorrent to me.

I feel like Mishima and Victor Salva are closer to Outsider artists. Their major malfunction(s) are intimately woven through their works. Kevin Spacey raping kids isn't integral to his art. Jeepers Creepers about an ugly monster stalking and torturing nubile young boys, well, that's basically autobiographical. Likewise, Mishima wouldn't be interesting if it weren't for the romantic fascism, cowardice before and exultation of violence, the glory of defeat and repressed homosexuality celebrated through classic culture. Like, that's his whole thing. Even Temple of the Golden Pavilion, the work where his major malfunctions shine through the least is still defined and bound by them.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I guess I'm dumb and I'll admit that.

To me, Han Solo was also Indiana Jones and Harrison Ford didn't really enter into it.

I am told people form weird, what they call "para" social relationships with people so that makes this a hard question.

Why do you give a poo poo? Not giving a monster money, sure, that makes sense. It's like with Louie CK. I didn't think he was funny and he was always a creep. Why is him being a creep a reason to not find him funny now? Did you not pick up on him being a creep initially? That was like, his whole thing. That's part of why I never found him funny.

I feel like a lot of this discussion is people realizing the badness in themselves and then trying to once again fob it off onto someone else.

Take Louie CK. Sure we can separate "art" from "artist" or whatever. But how about we don't separate "you" from "the media you consume". Not retroactively. If you have to constantly grapple with this question, that says something about you.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
If I died for my art, I'd want people to use it. How much worse would it be to die for nothing?