Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I once saw an interview with Mike Tyson where he talked about his past. He was absolutely open about it, and explained that basically he would get amped up for a fight, knock a dude out in under a minute, and still have all that energy pumping through him and didn't know how to release it properly so it came out outside the ring. He talked about it in a candid fashion of explaining what had happened while also not even attempting to excuse himself from the wrongs he committed. It really helped me better understand and spot people who are actually have remorse for what they did.

I think that's my big problem with 90% of the controversial people is that at the end of the day, they're only sorry they got caught. Hell, it's easy as poo poo to see in two different apologies just this past week from Marilyn Manson and Morgan Wallen. They only thing either understood is they needed to put out some kind of statement to hopefully stem some bleeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Baudolino posted:

I choose to ignore whatever bad things i know the actors/producers/directors did.
The harm has already happened and i don`t feel personally complicit.

What about things like Last Tango In Paris where the bad thing done is literally part of the final product?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What about it? What happens if you do or don’t watch it? None of the people directly involved are even alive anymore. What effect does your media consumption or non consumption even have on them?

I don't know, I just think it's kinda lovely watching literal rape on my tv even if no one involved it still alive. Would you watch a snuff film?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is the idea that everyone who ever watched last tango in paris is a rape loving sicko?

Not at all, especially considering Schneider wasn't really ready to talk about it for 30 years. But once you've been informed of what you're watching, I would think it would change your impression and I would think an average person wouldn't necessarily want to be up to watching that, no matter how much you argue "it's art."

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

so would someone that watched it now be a rape loving sicko?

It feels like a really famous movie that would be normal to hear someone watched.

FIrstly, I've never called anyone who watches is a "rape loving sicko" just that it's a kinda lovely thing to watch or want to watch.

Secondly, it absolutely depends on the situation. It's not like there's a huge warning that's played before the movie or anything so of course there's gonna be people who live blissfully unaware.