Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

This has always struck me as an interesting, but also a relatively straightforward, ethical question where everyone more or less has the same answer. At some point the benefits of enjoying the art outweighs the moral cost of somewhat contributing to a bad person/companys profits. If they're dead it's pretty much a non-issue, I don't think viewing a Picasso painting or reading a Hamsun novel gives any meaningful support to misogyny or nazism. There's a subset of this discussion where a small group of people don't want to engage with art or content produced by people with different values or voting records at all. That I don't think is an ethical standpoint as much as weirdly cultish and feels somewhat identical to the idea of "christian" bookstores etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU