Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Good timing, as I just re-watched The Tenant a couple nights ago. It's an absolute masterpiece and I love it. But I won't lie and say that Polanski's shittiness didn't cross my mind a few times, especially since we're staring at the guy for the whole movie. But I admit it's pretty easy for me to push it out of my mind and enjoy the film. What that says about me, I don't know.

Also, there's a HUGE chasm between "openly conservative" and "molests little kids". I know this is generally a left-leaning forum, but it's funny to me that those two things are mentioned in the same breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Polanski also said:

quote:

"If I had killed somebody, it wouldn't have had so much appeal to the press, you see? But ... loving, you see, and the young girls. Judges want to gently caress young girls. Juries want to gently caress young girls. Everyone wants to gently caress young girls!"

He's an unsavory fella.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Voice of Labor posted:

if you're trying to parse a sentence into it's logical structure, "but" and "and" mean the same thing. both are just conjunction, true iff both conjuncts are true. I get the distinction you're trying to drive home, it requires more than substituting that pair of words to make.

its :eng101:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Hello, actual philosophy expert stopping in to say you don't know what you're talking about. In formal logic we formalize "and" and "but" the same way, but this does not mean they are the same with respect to (say) conversational implicature, and in fact they aren't, for reasons so obvious that it's hard for people in this thread to even understand what you're saying because it's missing this point so badly. Examples have already been provided, but in case one more straw breaks the camel's back: if I say "I like to work out in the mornings, and today is Wednesday" then I've simply communicated in an odd fashion by conjoining two seemingly unrelated points. But, if I say "I like to work out in the mornings, but today is Wednesday," then via Grice's maxim of relevance, this implies that Wednesday mornings are somehow not conducive to working out.

:owned:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Back on track with the thread: I don't like supporting shitheads with money when they are publicly known to be prominent shitheads, because once their shitheadery is publicly known, this is when financial pressure via boycott can actually achieve something. But none of this has any impact on my enjoyment of a work; I can compartmentalize pretty easily for various reasons. One reason is that I think I have pretty high standards for what a "good" person is, and so if I wanted to, I could let almost every movie be ruined because one person or another fails to live up to my high standards. So it's basically "enjoy everything" or "enjoy nothing." Another reason is that I already ignore personal features of people when thinking about a movie, so I can ignore the bad features as well as the good. Perhaps if I spent more time dwelling on someone's misdeeds it would be hard for me to ignore. Kevin Spacey is getting sort of close to that, maybe, as is Louis CK. But I don't spend a ton of time dwelling on this stuff.

This is exactly how I feel too. You articulated it perfectly. I hate knowing anything about the people behind the movies I like because I assume they're probably lovely people to some degree.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It's the same with companies you purchase from. You could do a ton of research on which causes they donate money to, what other companies they partner with, their environmental stances, how they treat their employees, etc. etc. Or you could just say gently caress it I need some shampoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

RevKrule posted:

What about things like Last Tango In Paris where the bad thing done is literally part of the final product?

To be fair his point still stands. It's not like Maria Schneider gets raped in real life every time someone watches it.