Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Great thread! I've been thinking about this myself a bit after hearing about the allegations against Cas Anvar, who plays Alex on the Expanse TV series. I had really enjoyed his character and Anvars portrayal, so the news came as a huge bummer.

Reading the TV IV thread, there's lots of discussion about them killing the character off, unceremoniously replacing the character with another one or finding a way to write him out of the show completely. What's interesting to me is the retroactive animosity there towards the character itself, even in previous seasons, as for many it seems to have soured the entire role and performance.

Generally speaking, I separate the character from the actor, so in my mind I wouldn't be upset at a nice offscreen send off (for the character), because I wouldn't take it as being a cop out on behalf of the actor or justifying the actions of a sexual predator. I know he's been fired from the show and had his name dragged through the mud, and I think that's justice served.

Kevin Spacey is a interesting one too. His House of Cards performance was amazing and memorable, and I got alot of enjoyment out of it. I would still recommend the show, and his performances, in retrospect, because again I separate the character and performance from the actors personal life. They were lucky in that instance because he was effectively playing a villian, so they were able to parlay that into the final season without him.

But, honestly, with both the above examples, I think the main reason I can feel ok about this is that both these actors have been duly tried and found guilty, and that they were shitcanned, and had their careers ruined for these actions. I am extremely happy that the entertainment world as a whole has learnt to say this is not ok, and hold people accountable for their actions and are actively preventing it from happening in the future. If we still lived in the world of Harvey Weinstein open secrets of abuse, I don't know if I'd exactly feel the same way... (and I'm not naive, I'm sure there's plenty of Weinstein's still out there, but the idea of it being an accepted part of the industry is going away.)

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU