Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Voice of Labor posted:

he is a holocaust survivor. not excusing his behavior, but it wouldn't be hard to imagine a cause other than dude sucks. I could see having both your parents gassed and then having your wife murdered cause someone to just not give a gently caress.

Yeah, Polanski is one of the few where you don't excuse anything he did but still say "yeah, this is where nurture and multiple bad days can make someone go crazy/create evil."

My general rule is "don't actively give them money when I'm sure they did something terrible and they have not earned forgiveness." Polanski isn't getting money from me looking at Chinatown or Rosemary's Baby so I don't care. But I wouldn't go see another Louis CK standup (there's a possibility I would have sometime in some alternate future where he didn't respond by tripling down, and worked harder at actually making amends).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

Yes Polanski went through traumatic events, not diminishing the impact the Holocaust could have on his psyche, or the brutal murder of his wife (for which he was briefly detained and questioned as a suspect). But Polanski was always a genuine chauvinist and explaining away him raping a child because he'd been through some trauma is not really an accurate read of his character given what we know about him and his attitudes towards women and sex.

That's the weirdest part though, since he made a better movie about gaslighting a woman than Gaslighting and he made another excellent movie about an underage woman being sexually abused by an older man and it clearly presented as a really horrible negative. Could be a case of him working through his own dark places (before it was noted that those things happened) with his art.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Victor Salva literally raped a kid that was in his movie that he filmed wandering around in tightey whities for waaaaaaay too long, so his stuff is even more included in his work than normal.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Tyson is kind of in that "victim AND abuser" category, like yes he's a broken person but you learn about him and it's like, there really wasn't any other way that story ends for them. Michael Jackson is similar in my mind, absolutely a terrible abuser but 100% didn't have a chance to be anything else.

Jackson still has an amount of question mark there too, unlike someone like R. Kelly. The legal defense of him was a mix of "he had never been accused of anything like that in his entire life (or after, which kind of strengthens that posthumously), which is not normal for that kind of abuser," combined with, "since Jackson was obviously weird as hell and doing other things he shouldn't be doing with kids because he thinks he's Peter Pan, some parents coached their kids to take monetary advantage of his weirdness" (which would also affect memories after the fact). After he died and decades later, everyone just knows the victim-side documentary and not the details of the actual case that called a lot into question unless you were watching at the time. There's like a 5-20 percent chance that he didn't do much or all of what was said that can be balanced in a case like that, unlike R Kelly who a) was plastered all over the internet recording himself doing what he did, and b) had an entire pattern and decades of doing the exact same thing he got away with before. So there's other reasons why some people would be judged differently based on amount of evidence of what they did, too.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

One thing I will almost never go with is a third party's report of a comedy set. I've seen multiple jokes taken wildly out of context because the person reporting decides to take all of the context out or ignore the tone given to make things sound entirely different. Then their take goes viral and is taken as fact, but you actually see it in context and it's wildly different. Comedy sets are all about tone, buildup, etc. with all kind of callbacks to prior jokes or the theme of the set, etc. and that's not portrayed with one joke said in isolation in print.

I still won't watch CK's stuff yet because I don't think he really did enough, but I take much of that third party reporting on comedy sets with a grain of salt.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

I specifically noted "rear end in a top hat bosses" like James Cameron in my tiers, its on the lowest tier because literally everyone in every artistic field that involves other people is an rear end in a top hat boss

It's really, really hard to be an artist and not an rear end in a top hat; you need full confidence to get your art out there and be successful at it, while at the same time, you've often had to fight a bunch of short sighted and difficult people to get your vision out there. It's more rare to see an outwardly "nice" artist because of the combination that creates that thing. Half of the people on a set are going to actively mess up what you think your vision is and you're consistently managing hundreds of people and having to report to the suits with the money.

There also might be a difference between someone known as "nicer" that went through the system kind of easy, comparatively, and didn't have to fight too much for their visions like a Spielberg or Snyder since their first movies went relatively smoothly (Spielberg's issue with Jaws was tech related and him not knowing how hard a boat shoot would be), and someone like Cameron that started off on the tech side having to work under other people and fight for that part of the vision, then work on poo poo low budget movies and have to sneak in after dark to try to edit his movie when he's effectively fired.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Animal abuse is the weird line I have. It's hosed up that Herzog's Nosferatu involved spray painting and setting fire to rodents, and it makes me uneasy watching it, but I can watch it, I guess. But I can't watch Cannibal Holocaust. There's never a need to actually kill an animal for a film, but there's a lot of films from the 60's and 70's that I really like or respect that include it.

As an example, I just refuse to watch that scene in Friday the 13th; it leaves such a bad taste in my mouth (having a pet snake makes it worse, too), and I've probably seen the first one the least of all of them possibly for this reason.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I don't think I've seen Stanley Kubrick mentioned in this thread.

I honestly feel uncomfortable watching The Shining after realizing just how much he terrorized Shelly Duvall. She's not even really acting at a certain point, it's just her having a nervous breakdown because of his treatment of her. Scatman Crothers was forced to do a scene so many times he eventually just broke down into tears. Also, he pretty much harassed Stephen King, day and night, calling him at all hours and asking him bizarre questions while the movie was being produced. All this is even weirder when you read how protective he was over making sure Danny Lloyd wasn't exposed to any of the horror elements of the story.

Kubrick is considered one of the great, and a good chunk of his films are classic, but I think you could call him a controversial figure.

Do his other movies have as many hosed up stories surrounding it as The Shining does?

This is the question of if result justifies the means because her performance is what makes that movie more than anything else, even if Jack obviously stands out more. Thats where the soul searching comes in.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Luther is a British cop, which is kind of different.

Mackey was a kind of antihero early on, but became a villain by the end. I think he even shifted away from being the main protagonist towards the end into an antagonist.

Floyd is no revelation for me, I grew up around inner city cops, and I'm fine watching Die Hard or something because I see that as a fantasy version of a cop just like Indiana is a fantasy version of an archeologist.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I was genuinely surprised how many people were holding onto the idea that MJ is innocent before that doc came out.

I said it earlier in the thread, but people who watched the trial live at the time saw that MJ had an excellent (from a legal sense) defense (that wasn't an OJ style glove thing), and a lot focused around the parents (who were around at the time) knowing MJ was weird and inappropriate and coaching their kids to say/think he was doing more than he was actually doing to get his money. Combine that with him not having a history of molestation or any accusations after that, unlike with people like Woody Allen or R. Kelly, and its enough to create varying levels of doubt.

People who weren't old enough to watch the details of the trial or didn't at the time and whose first exposure was a documentary after his death that doesn't show the defense aren't going to have that same layer of doubt.

edit: Also, black people are more skeptical, due to valid historical reasons of false accusation, of claims against famous black people, so theres a layer of wagon wheel circling that also adds to the numbers. This happened to varying degrees with OJ, R Kelly, Bill Cosby, Kobe, etc.

Darko fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

massive spider posted:

Mackey literally murders another cop in cold blood in the first episode

He's always the protagonist though because protagonist means 'character we follow who incites the action' not 'good person'. Same as Walter White.

It's understandable to want to see him succeed in a way that its fun to watch bad people execute crazy schemes, but its not like his story was one of moral decline, he's a piece of poo poo from day one.

The Shield does have a handful of Good Cops but the general thrust of the show is generally that the LAPD sucks. Its based on the real rampart scandal and the LAPD's CRASH unit (who allegedly murdered Biggie Smalls).

There were points where he's going against a larger villain (ie. Anthony Anderson, in a surprisingly good role) and moves into the antihero role as a protagonist. He just becomes a full villainous antagonist by the end.

Hannibal Lector eats people but he's fully antihero in Hannibal (movie) as another example of a shifting character.