Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

fr0id posted:

There’s the idea of “ethical consumption under capitalism” which kind of implies a “gently caress it” approach.
No it doesn't, it implies exactly what you're asking in this thread. That all consumption under capitalism is unethical to some degree, but it is not all the same and you need to consider the relative harms vs need vs convenience of the choices you make while accepting that perfection is unachievable. The whole point is that saying "I must be completely perfectly ethical" is impossible, but saying "gently caress it" is still an unethical and destructive choice despite that because many middle grounds exist. It also means being mindful that other people may choose (or be forced into) different middle grounds and while you can be judgemental about their choices if you wish, you should at least be aware that yours are not clean either and have at least some sense of perspective about what you do and what you criticize.

To the particular consumption in this thread, my general position is: I won't pay explicitly for entertainment from people I find reprehensible, but my line for consumption (whether for free, or bundled, or purchased before knowing) is blurrier and mostly falls on "can I watch this without being mentally distracted by the person" and "is this product that espouses a view I dislike informative or interesting in some way?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU