Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Cacator posted:

I apply this to Mike Tyson. Did awful things, went to prison and served his time, then made a pleasant cartoon where he solves mysteries.

I'm absolutely open to being completely wrong about this as I am in most things, but/and my impression of the Louie CK poo poo was that he DID feel contrition, offered a pretty frank and understanding apology (not the face-saving PR apologies other sex-pests might have offered) and removed himself from circulation. I bracket him with Mike Tyson in being a person who suffers from compulsions that hurt others, but at least understands and feels pained by that part of himself and accepts the consequences of his actions.

Maybe other poo poo has come out about him since then, but I see him as a bit of a broken man whose genius is inextricably linked to his compulsions (and so very much like Mike Tyson!) so I dont feel too bad about streaming his stuff.

More to the point of the thread, I've often pondered on the difference between having traditional or reactionary outlooks on the world, and just 'having lovely politics'. I find I can enjoy the former, even respect it, if I feel that their art is a result of genuine (frequently boggle-eyed) zeal or conviction, even if misguided. For that reason I have no qualms about watching Conan the Barbarian or Apocalyptico (or Braveheart if my Scottish blood is up), or Dragged Across Concrete. I see, perhaps naively, a kind of swivel-eyed madness in the Mel Gibsons and Craig Zahler's of the world that is generative of art that, if not great, is at least true and interesting. The distinction is with just having moribund and lovely politics, for while Craig Zahler is a reactionary crank he at least can direct a movie where the bad guys are cops, he doesnt have the brain-worms that someone like James Woods has been afflicted by and he isnt an empty shill like the small brigade of soulless and creatively bankrupt 'artists' powering the Christian movie movement.

My kids love '9 Lives', but I'm one of those guys who cant get past seeing/hearing Kevin Spacey, especially since he creepily propositioned a co-worker of mine some ten years ago.

Simiain fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

he is absolutely an unrepentant piece of poo poo and his new special is full "cancel culture put of control?" Bullshit. He just knew enough to stfu for (less than) a year

Ah. Well, I'm not sure if it counts as controversial or not but comedians like Dave Chapelle and Ricky Gervais who swing their dicks around about being brave resisters to the cancel culture woke police get on my loving nerves.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

A lot of the problem was that Louis' initial apology felt like he didn't GET what the problem was, which was the power dynamic and that he surrounded himself with people who actively prevented the knowledge of it from getting out for years. He was more or less "sorry I misread the situation, I'll just go away for a while", instead of "I acknowledge that I used my clout to put women in uncomfortable sexual situations and I really need to put in the work to change". He didn't do anything to get better, he just avoided the issue for a while. Then he came back like it was nothing and now he's a bitter bitch about the whole thing.

Contrast that with someone who I do think did it the right way, Dan Harmon. He took the time to reflect on his problems, understood exactly how he hosed up, apologized directly and publicly for it, and took the right steps to make up for it.

See, before I knew that Louis CK had delved into the armpit of punching-down anti-comedy, it was precisely because he HAD acknowledged, explicitly, that power dynamic that I kinda figured he was a bit redeemed and worthy of not being made an unperson by the woke politburo that all comedians tremble under.

Here is part of his apology, that you can find in the NYTimes: "These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was O.K. because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly."

Its actually seems to be a sincere and understanding apology, and not the kind of non-apology that we often get. Which makes his apparent descent into resentful, cancel-culture baiting boomerism a kind of double-betrayal.