Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think that there are two assumptions that sort of guide people's thinkings in these conversations. And I think both are things we should reconsider.

One is that the incorrect assumption that there is a limited bandwidth for genius and an unlimited bandwidth for patronage. I think a lot people get caught up in this internal conflict of what would it mean to lose the art of these controversial people. Do we want to live in a world without Chinatown or Animal House or Harry Potter or those two good Louis C.K. Specials and that one episode of Louie with David Lynch in it. I think a mindset shift to have is to mourn the art that was lost. All these flawed and often terrible people were taking up space. There are other people who didn't make it, artists whose work was never given a chance.

Another is that I think as film nerds, a lot of us go through the explorer phase of being film viewers. A lot of us dig into grungy depths of what horror has to offer for us. And I think we internalize it as a virtue to be open to watch anything, but that's a flawed mindset. I for example know a dude who basically just gave up on watching stuff primarily creatively driven by white people. Do I think it would be hard for me to not see Little Women or Portrait of a Lady on Fire or First Cow. But it also meant that he took deeper dive and turned to some corners that I don't always.

I think that it is a personal question of how you engage with abusive or hateful artists. However, I think we need to move beyond the idea that losing some of this art would be as big a tragedy as we might think or that it's that big a deal to cut it out of your life.

I think the ending of Bojack Horseman gives an instructional ending. Big spoilers, the show finally accepts that Bojack has hurt multiple young women, ruining their lives, and has no right to be a star. He goes to prison for a bit, but faces no longterm consequences. He starts paling around with a Charlie Sheen/Alec Baldwin/Mel Gibson pastiche. The ending makes it clear that he probably won't actually change.

He has his last scene with his friend Diane. Diane's life objectively wouldn't be where it is now without Bojack. She's happy now and a successful author with a great fiancee. We as the audience know that she is never going to every see Bojack after this moment. This is the end for them. He is a monster and she knows that. So, she simply says "Thank you." You can tell that she could scold him, hate him, but she makes peace with the fact that regardless of how horrible Bojack was, she comes to terms with the fact that he did matter and did have an impact on her, but after that, she has to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU