Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Rytheric posted:

First date

Lmao king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Rytheric posted:

So next time you're thinking about buying another minivan, why not consider a helicopter instead?

If you really wanna impress the thread find a way to put a firepit in one of those helicopters

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Sab Sabbington posted:

If you really wanna impress the thread find a way to put a firepit in one of those helicopters

Please thats simple. Everyone knows you're suppose to afix a flaming 55-gallon barrel to each sides of the helicopter. They help other aircraft to be aware of your presence. Just have to make sure they're pointed up, dont want people thinking you made an apache helicopter in your back yard.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
hi op i am a professional astrophysicist and i would like to tell you that judging from the photos you have provided the treeline in your property seems quite high so i would advise you to make sure your observatory/water tower is at least as high as the tallest tree in your area in order to get the best use out of your future telescope. hth

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Montalvo posted:

hi op i am a professional astrophysicist and i would like to tell you that judging from the photos you have provided the treeline in your property seems quite high so i would advise you to make sure your observatory/water tower is at least as high as the tallest tree in your area in order to get the best use out of your future telescope. hth

I believe I have to get rid of all the bamboo. So that should clear up the sky a bit. Anyone need some bamboo? Perhaps to make a lifetime supply of tooth brushes?

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 1, 2021

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
This is amazing, its because of people like this we get innovation, like displaying how many times you have spun your ship in station.
E: Find a way of steam flattening that bamboo and you have a very attractive, strong, thin and light material for interiour walls.

staberind fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 1, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

staberind posted:

This is amazing, its because of people like this we get innovation, like displaying how many times you have spun your ship in station.
E: Find a way of steam flattening that bamboo and you have a very attractive, strong, thin and light material for interiour walls.

There is actually from what I understand a decent bamboo industry in my state I can tap into if I containerize my bamboo. If I dont sell it outright, I may start making fence posts out of them or use them to fuel the grovertruk firepit.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rytheric posted:

I believe I have to get rid of all the bamboo. So that should clear up the sky a bit. Anyone need some bamboo? Perhaps to make a lifetime supply of tooth brushes?

perhaps learn the art of shakuhachi flute making

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The Voice of Labor posted:

perhaps learn the art of shakuhachi flute making

great tinder bio material

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Now this is peak creativity. They say necessity is the father of innovation, and you need that fire pit so...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
OP, I like to believe that this thread is sincere; if not, it is truly one of the 11 greatest trolls yet on SA. I wish you well, please don't half-rear end stuff that might kill you.

Try this

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 1, 2021

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

:catstare:

I would like to suggest a roughly bucket-sized novelty miniature outhouse with which to cover TimberShitter so you don't get angry rodents who fell in biting your rear end as you try to enjoy TimberShitter's services

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

I'm excited for the French doors

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

And to think we all kvetched for months about some rear end in a top hat who wouldn't post pictures of his toilet, when we had this goldmine poster just out there waiting for their moment to shine.

I need to know more about the battery closet in the Truk. Are you using the Truk's engine as a generator and if so have you given thought to just putting solar panels on the roof? It looks like it just has to power a few lamps and like a laptop/phone charger, tops.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 1, 2021

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Loving everything about this thread!

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

comforthawk posted:

:catstare:

I would like to suggest a roughly bucket-sized novelty miniature outhouse with which to cover TimberShitter so you don't get angry rodents who fell in biting your rear end as you try to enjoy TimberShitter's services

So here are the building requirement for the TimberShitter

And this is how the county interprets it to look like (this is not infact how it is going to look like)

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Drone posted:

And to think we all kvetched for months about some rear end in a top hat who wouldn't post pictures of his toilet, when we had this goldmine poster just out there waiting for their moment to shine.

I need to know more about the battery closet in the Truk. Are you using the Truk's engine as a generator and if so have you given thought to just putting solar panels on the roof? It looks like it just has to power a few lamps and like a laptop/phone charger, tops.

I will post the pathetic picture of the battery closet later. The wiring is all temporary now without adequate fuses.

Right now I have a 1250w tripp lite inverter/charger connected to a 25ft long 13 amp gfci extention cord reel hub that i have snaking through the ceiling out to the back entrance where I hook it to house power to charge my batteries. I was originally using my truck k as a generator, but now its reserved as a back up. Takes about an hour to charge the battery with the truck.

The 1250w tripp lite is connected to my exide 105ah deep cycle 31 marine battery. The battery has a 1320 watt hour capacity. I use it to power my cell phone/laptops and roughly 100w/hr 12volt electric blankets. I also have a 800w 12 volt electric space heater that I can only use sparingly for like 15 minutes at night and in the morning to get the chill off so I can get to sleep or build the courage to get dressed.

I have a 20w solar panel but I realized that it takes a week to charge one days use of battery lol. So once I buy the murderhaus property, I'm going to buy 400 watt solar panels and 5000w/hr of batteries that im going to leave on the land to charge during the day that I hook into at night. When im not spending the night on the land I will hook into house power elsewhere.

I have a fuse block I need to install. Trying to decide how I want to do that or if I need two fuse blocks and a switch since I will have two independent battery banks for the mobile battery and the land battery.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 1, 2021

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Rytheric posted:

I fix and flip houses in my spar time afterwards.

i advise you to get real familiar with a lawyer, 'cause the people who buy your flips are gonna come after you with murderous intent

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i advise you to get real familiar with a lawyer, 'cause the people who buy your flips are gonna come after you with murderous intent

Only fair if he sells houses with murderous intent.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I plan do to everything by code. I was a construction inspector for a while. But the main thing I want to do with the fix and flips is to install solar on each fixer upper. I think I was originally going to rent the fixer uppers instead of flipping them so I may have misspoke. My overall goal is to create an empire of tiny house farms throughout the east coast that i rent out on crop share and provide affordable rent to own solar powered housing by rehabbing old buildings. Its going to be a while before I build the capital for all that. If only I can get in on the next $GME.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

organburner posted:

houses with murderous intent

Doom House Flips, Inc.

Rytheric posted:

an empire of tiny house farms throughout the east coast that i rent out

Will they also have fire pits in the porch?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Marine batts are kind of great and all, especially for portability and well, marine use, but please get yourself some large lead acids like tractor ones, sheltered seperate from where you are living. ppl I know who have made housboats on old hulks have usually gone that route, with seperate, well ventilated stacks.
otoh, this was years aho, I guess marines must have dropped in price since then.

Oh ghod; meme stonks, to no ones surprise ever.

E: if the land you get is heavilly wooded, you could also make a stationary steam engine to drive a dynamo, converting wood to heat/electricity for overcast days/weeks.
or how about geothermal?

staberind fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 1, 2021

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
Using my account for the first time in years to say godspeed OP. Can't wait to see those french doors.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Rytheric posted:

I plan do to everything by code. I was a construction inspector for a while.

uh huh

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

OP I just want to clarify. Is this concrete thing:

currently sitting over a pit, or is the plan to dig a new pit and use the concrete thing for part of it?

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

I wish you luck on your plan to die from carbon monoxide poisoning, OP.

bionic sheep
Nov 30, 2011

i don't want to jump to conclusions but the existence of a church does imply the existence of a graveyard. is OP building a human self-sacrifice truck pyre on an ancient burial ground.

luckily they live in a portable kill room so i assume they have a plan b

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

OP I just want to clarify. Is this concrete thing:

currently sitting over a pit, or is the plan to dig a new pit and use the concrete thing for part of it?

It is currently sitting over a pit. The county wanted the previous guy to abandon them in like 2014 (i imagine this one was last dug prior to 2009 before the then existing church burnt down). There is a second one on the property hence the two TimberShitters on the map. The leaves are covering the 6 foot slab.. There is also a cracked third base that someone tried to throw into the creek behind the house. I dont have to dig a new pit until the feces reach 18inch below the surface.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Rytheric posted:

So for anyone wondering this is who I look up to as a role model and model for how I want to live off the land with my tiny homes.
https://youtu.be/Hr5s0ps9rAQ

This actually explained a lot about what you are trying to do and I think it's pretty cool.

I recommend seriously considering a small wood stove instead of a firepit. You want ambiance right? Well you can use your wood stove as a stove to heat water for tea or hot toddy's, or warm cookies something. It's much more functional than an open firepit.

Edit: Here are a few options for you to check out.

https://mongolianstore.com/product/portable-wood-burning-stove/
https://winnerwell.us/collections/shop-all-winnerwell%C2%AE
https://wittus.com/faltovn/

Or something cheap on Amazon, there are lots of options.

crazystray fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 1, 2021

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Rytheric posted:

A wood stove may work. But im weary of opening my doors and having to walk around a smoke stack.

If the fire is not in an enclosure such as a stove with a smokestack or similar fixture to route the smoke out you will be choking the first time you light a fire. Just get a portable pit and take it out side for fucks sake

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

maybe try something like this

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Improbable Lobster posted:

If the fire is not in an enclosure such as a stove with a smokestack or similar fixture to route the smoke out you will be choking the first time you light a fire. Just get a portable pit and take it out side for fucks sake

The idea was for it to be like a small grill or sawn off 55 gallon barrel so I can move it out of the way when done. Dont want to stumble out in the middle of the night to take a piss out the back door and trip or knock myself out by hitting a smoke stack lol

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

I joined well past the time of GroverHaus and BathDoom and I just wanna say thanks OP for giving me the opportunity to enjoy something like this as it's happening.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Dynamite Dog posted:

maybe try something like this

Just be careful sticking the helicopter landing!

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Aren't bamboo-shoots edible and doesn't bamboo grow crazy fast? Sounds like you have a ready-planted source of nutrition already on your property, OP.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

you could put the fireplace in a bay window style outcrop to minimize the trip hazard

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Rytheric posted:

The idea was for it to be like a small grill or sawn off 55 gallon barrel so I can move it out of the way when done. Dont want to stumble out in the middle of the night to take a piss out the back door and trip or knock myself out by hitting a smoke stack lol

Cut a hole in the floor that's roughly the circumference of a 55gal barrel and use it to make the barrel level with the floor. Save the cutout and put one of those rings on it to flip up and use as a handle. You got yourself a sunken firepit with a lid to maximize your porch space and your safety since you could use the lid to starve the fire if things get a little too hot, if you know what I mean. With that and the rerouted ventilation system you've got yourself a formidable, safe, and versatile fire pit for your truck.

and a place to burn the body parts :ssh:

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
Carbon Monoxide sinks, bruh.

Clearly this means you need to put a vent in the floor to have your kick-rear end firepit.

((Do not build the firepit, you will die. Also, carbon monoxide doesn't actually sink, it pretty evenly disperses throughout an enclosed space.))

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

honestly, just a vented fan in the ceiling would fix all of this.

or, and stay with me here: you could saw through the porch walls and set up a hinge system to let them open out and down, with some flip out supports, and triple your porch space AND make the firepit not hazardous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

A woodstove is actually way more practical for heating and cooking applications too, with the bonus that you run a lil’ chimney out of the truck and don’t die from CO poisoning.