Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Rytheric is like the mathematical perfection of goon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rytheric posted:

The down side of using sips is that you essentially need a crane to install it.
Nah, I've built a ranch with sips before and each panel needed like 3 guys. They're not all that heavy. To me, the best part is that all the fiddly work is done on the ground, making sure you have a level and square footer. After that, the sips just go up like nothing. A crew of handy amateurs got the exterior walls up in a day.

We did use a tall fork loader to get the trusses on top of the walls when it was time to do the roof.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rytheric posted:

My constraint with sips is that its expensive in my opinion
Considering the ease with which they go up making for dramatically reduced labor time, and that you are left with a completely sheathed interior and exterior wall, I'd disagree.

Rytheric posted:

all the electric and stuff has to be preplanned and integrated into the sips at a shop
Nope, you can definitely get them with channels to run wiring through, and you cut the window holes with a rad little chainsaw

Rytheric posted:

I thought they were heavier than 100lbs.
They're two pieces of plywood/OSB with some foam. They're the same weight as two pieces of plywood/OSB in whatever dimensions you're getting the panels in plus a pound or two for the foam. Cake with three people (two to carry, one to guide), easy enough with two, and doable with one person and some ingenuity.

They are the anthesis of your apparent style, though, since you spend a lot of time fussing with a 2 by (8, 10, 12, however thick your foam is) footer to get it perfect, then just drop the walls together.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

oggb posted:

Like it or not this will never be your thread and nobody is here to listen to you piss and moan about HeS DoInG IT WrOnG u GuYs He S So DuMb Do It My WAy so please stop trying so hard.

This thread is funny. You were funny for a couple of posts. Now you're annoying and dragging the whole mood down.

Who hurt you?
He usually comes across as abrasive and often as an rear end in a top hat, but he usually is correct. Everyone needs some Red Foreman in their life.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

I'm having trouble hearing over all the Scott Joplin music blaring out of this thread.
I just want to note that I appreciate this reference.

And also, this thread hitting this entirely predictable crescendo of scammyness.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Perhaps some music will help
https://youtu.be/AkFqg5wAuFk

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Well, yours has the preview, so....pals? :respek:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I was thinking way more goth https://youtu.be/dxucr5TSxDg

This is also a quality answer.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Sell it all, convert as much as you can into cash, and start over without the burden of a broken truck and broken land.

There are vehicles custom made to live in, and if you buy an old enough one, you will have plenty of DIY to do.

This poo poo has gone from amusing to a 1:1 probability of your death/financial death due to a cascading pile of poor decisions.

You haven't solved any of this growing pile of issues yet and are distracting yourself from big picture problems with finding small picture solutions.

This thread is yelling at you like one of those signs on a trail, or an underwater cave that likes to eat scuba divers that says "turn back or die."

But you are so object fixated on your imagined finished project that you are going to ignore all of it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
"Ima put your house box, just your house box, over the tailpipe and then BLAOW! with the CO"

"I'll fuckin, I'll fuckin seal your bedroom shut and just keep leaking CO and leaking CO and leaking CO"

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Not realistic Where's the carbon monoxide?

Its invisible and has no scent. Duh. Its there, you just can't sense it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
You are going to die. Sell the truck for scrap and start over with a shipping crate if you love metal boxes, or a vehicle designed to have someone in the back of it if you want a vehicle with living room in it.

Everything you are doing is the worst possible goddam way to do it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rytheric posted:

GroverTruk besides it's quirks appears to be reliable and will likely last enough years for me to afford a better GroverTruk or a pickup-enclosed trailer combo.
Despite needing suspension, transmission, and various other parts to be shotgunned at it because it has a hosed suspension and cannot idle while driving. . .

The best thing that could possibly happen to you right now is that your truck somehow burns to the ground while you're at work.

Edit: Also, I don't know what your obsession with insulation is about, but you are never going to find a vehicle that is insulated as well as a home that is not a vehicle. Every vehicle's insulation is "meh" as a trade off for not having 6 inch thick walls.

Edit again: Maybe you should find whatever vehicle they deliver dry ice in. It will be well insulated AND well ventilated.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 2, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Okay, so we have a $2000 (lmao) box truck that needs about $2000 in parts, and probably $2000 in labour.

Let's tally that up.

$2000
$2000
$2000
_______+
$6000

Now let's assume you spent... $500 on all the framing, electrical nonsense, etc.

$6000
$ 500
_______+
$6500

So, your RV budget was actually $6500.
My dad bought a used camper trailer from an amusement park and lived in it for 2 years while building their retirement home for well less than half that, possibly even 1/3 that.

This is the non-idiotic way to go about what you're doing, OP. It had a heater and a shitter and a stove and everything.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

inkmoth posted:

Did he try and haggle for any cool roller coaster parts while he was there? Did it come with an integrated corn dog dispenser to prove it was really from an amusement park?
As far as I know, just the ghosts of snotty kids and maybe some residue from drunk/stoned rednecks that stayed in it the night that Molly Hatchet played the park.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Insert cheap "no wonder the suspension is hosed" joke here.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

low key sex master posted:

Jesus Ry you are going to die.
We've been saying this for pages now, but he won't listen.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rytheric posted:

Large Mac n cheese + 10 homestyle tenders with honey mustard.
Anyone remember the last goon in a well that only ate mac n cheese and tendies?

This thread may be approaching his legend. . .

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rytheric posted:

I was keen on someone giving me input on how to get the murderhaus to passive heating. I may have to track the post down when it comes the time.
Step 1) don't use timber framing.

Has anyone mentioned earth bag construction yet? It might be right up your alley.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthbag_construction

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Alternate option: Make the walls mostly decorative with the lightest framing possible (metal studs and plastic panel with rubber joints like you see in lovely commercial bathrooms?) whose purpose is mostly to cover up the 6 inches of spray foam insulation behind them. Do the same with the ceiling. Ensure everything is attached only in 2 dimensions and can flex.

Downside, you can never attach anything to them. Upside, they don't have to be all that rigid, and now you're living in a cooler. With no door on 1/6th of its surface area.

Other alternative: Don't spend this kind of time and money on a half broken, 25 year old truck that will either continue to bleed your bank account dry or end up effectively a very small shipping container on a non-mobile cart that only a tow truck can move.

Because it's not like when the truck parts of this boondoggle inevitably die, you can just pop the house part off and put it on a new one. You're creating a worst of all worlds scenario here.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
OP is EXACTLY the kind of person that can't stop themselves from talking to the cops and trying to "well actually" them.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

taqueso posted:

ry, in case you were wondering, this is the kind of air pattern you can expect behind a vehicle. All the swirly parts are going to be going in the box

AKA why the poo poo in the bed of a pickup ends up in the cab if your rear window opens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rytheric posted:

Only eating one bucket of kfc with Mac and cheese instead of two and two chicken biscuit from McDonald's in the morning.

I need to find a better fast food option til I get out of the habit.

Probably going to cut the Mac and cheese. I normally don't eat it.
You're loving with us, right?

"I'm eating healthier, I only eat one bucket of fried chicken instead of two" is some straight up autism spectrum thinking. The spreadsheet shows less sodium and fewer calories, so I'm healthier Why am I not at all surprised that you are some kind of engineer?

Guys, guys, I'm eating twice as healthy as I was before, I'm only eating ONE loving BUCKET OF KFC now.

Where's I M Gei, maybe the two of them can discuss the best way to accurately measure the interior framing for the Ryder of Rolling Probable Cause and send Motronic to an early grave.