Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

PLease do not put a fire pit inside your box truck house, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

What are your thoughts on hot dogs, OP?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

shoutout to Bees on Wheat for this extremely prescient gif

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Nexein posted:

After they're locked in the Fireporch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mICGcg5-pM

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Sab Sabbington posted:

How is everyone just talking normally when the gooniest picture was just posted in the gooniest kind of thread??? How is everyone not losing their poo poo???

Shock and awe, he lead with the fire pit in the truck and everything else seems reasonable comparatively

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Rytheric posted:

Whatever the French doors from lowes come with.

So, shards after the first time the box flexes.

I would highly recommend getting some lexan sheets and cutting that to fit the doors at minimum if you can’t can’t get automotive safety glass panes to put in there.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Hey Ry please make sure you have the explicit OK from anyone whose photos you’re posting ITT. There are entire websites out there that exist to doxx posters on this site and the last thing I want is some poor woman who dated you a decade ago getting prank called because her face showed up in this thread.

Which is all to say I edited that prom photo out of your post.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Yeah it's not bad if you know you're going to be using it but be careful, a lot of times it only covers the attorney's time on the specific matter that's covered, so like when I used it I still had to pay $500 for poo poo that was billable and related but wasn't specifically covered even though it was necessary for the covered matter.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Digital Prophet posted:

I made a :grovertruk: but I already bought ads and I'm not going to buy a smilie also.

Truly the smilie SA needs for 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Perhaps you should consider pocket doors as well, think of all the space you can save when you don’t have to account for the swing of a door in your rooms.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Kiavahr posted:

Plus, aren't they super finicky to install? All the carpenters I work with hate them. Seems like you need an opening in your framing twice as wide and twice as square on top of that or they get immediately wedged.

In typical stick framing you'd find in the US, they're a total pain in the rear end but if Rytheric is timber framing already it's a lot easier to design the structure to accept them. Japanese house construction (is peanut reading this thread?) is a good point of reference for pocket doors that don't suck. Old balloon framed arts and crafts are also good references, assuming they haven't settled on their foundation like mine has.

corgski fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 14, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The shitholes are offset

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

The problem here is that a decent percentage of what's being posted here is complete fabrication. I'm just not sure what percentage it is yet.

Just grab a bag of popcorn and an extra large coke and watch the show.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Just to make it clear for everyone in this thread, you're allowed to and extremely encouraged to point out oversights and scope creep and yak shaving and everything else that is clearly coming up with a project as... ambitious as this. Where I'm drawing the line for moderation in this thread is personal insults. The time for pissing in the well is when all reasonable solutions have been rejected and the goon is on their way to Khazad-dûm.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

D-LINK posted:

Even the Amish use power tools. They're just "borrowed" so they technically don't own them

Hell I used to work with a guy that made Amish-approved desktop computers. Put it in a wood case, pre-install solidworks, set some firewall rules so they can’t access anything other than yahoo mail and state government websites, and don’t give them the admin password and it’s good.

But yeah Ry, get some power tools please.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Why not compressed air tools

Do you know how many balloons it takes to get a reasonable amount of pressure?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Walk dude, you can get better land elsewhere without any of the baggage that land has.

Also get yourself an agent for fucks sake and don't do any tests on the land before you have an accepted offer contingent on those tests next time.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Hold up, I'm confused. Maybe I missed an explanation, but how are the "owner" and "seller" different people? Is the "seller" like a realtor or something?

I'm assuming he's dealing with a seller's agent, (and since he doesn't have an agent himself he's getting hosed sideways by them) but who knows.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

taqueso posted:

They'll never know if you are living on the property underground

The goon missile silo was somewhere out west.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Holy poo poo dude you're being taken for a ride. Get an agent and start looking for land through them and accept that this is sunk costs on a literal scam.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

If you or your lawyer didn't pay a reputable title search company yourself without involving the land's current "owner" or this random seller rear end in a top hat you don't have a title search.

corgski fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 25, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Rytheric posted:

There is a general trend in my life that whenever I go to buy a piece of property someone buys it out from under me. So I wanted to freeze the owners ability to sell until I got the septic permit.

You do that by making an offer and having an accepted offer sitting there contingent on all the tests you need to do passing, not by paying someone for a title search. There are contracts for this. Please get a realtor.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Realtors don't factor into what mortgage you can get. Like, not at all.

Plus lending is going haywire right now because of how low interest rates are. You can buy just about anything with 3% down and PMI and it sounds like you were ready to put 30% down on this.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Does having a realtor correlate with high down payment?

(i'll never be able to afford property so I know nothing about this.)

No. Not at all. It correlates with getting scammed less, however.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Sam I Am posted:

Ry, please take a deep breath, take a step back and try to listen to some of the great advice you are getting here. Through all the jokes, most of us want you to succeed and we want to be along for the ride. Success for you, does not start with this property. Instead of sharing your progress reports and great, ambitious ideas (which is what brought us all here), we see that your future is going to be mired in wasted money and legal battles. You have experts from multiple fields including construction experts, lawyers, and real estate experts all highly advising you to reassess this decision. It's an incredible resource you've amassed in this thread of people who care and want your success, let them course-correct you.

:emptyquote:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

YOU ARE GETTING SCAMMED YOU IDIOT

New thread title.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

This is it folks, he's gone full zaurg.

stop it goddamnit, let the thread titles have a moment to breathe :v:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Bruh, you said an E350 had an axle in the front that you had to pull and that the rear shock was bent

Unless you've got a unicorn on your hands, that's a RWD truck that has leaf springs, so whatever you've been learning from this friend of yours is bullshit that you shouldn't be listening to

Are you mixing up shocks and struts? A vehicle with leaf springs would have shocks. This isn't a model T we're talking about here.

The Door Frame posted:

I'm well aware of what a F350's suspension looks like, I had to maintain the work trucks, and I'll take it on good faith that the E350 is the same

Clearly you aren't if you think an F350 doesn't have rear shock absorbers.

corgski fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 28, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I know everyone here is eager to get their dunks in, but for fucks sake any modern vehicle with leaf springs will have shocks to go with them. We're not talking about a covered wagon here.

Please carry on with all the reasons you shouldn't use cinderblocks to support a vehicle in place of jack stands and other genuine "what the fucks," don't invent your own.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Ry, don’t do dumb poo poo to try to impress goons. This includes the fire pit.

Everyone else, don’t suggest or endorse dumb poo poo. This includes claiming that the exhaust isn’t an immediate problem that needs to be addressed before he stays in the truck again. :psyduck:

I’ve heard several people express concern that this thread could go the direction of other goon sagas (especially a notable AI one) where naive goons were egged on for the entertainment of others and I don’t want that blood on my hands, and I doubt any of you do either.

Please continue to use the report button and/or PMs judiciously and don’t be afraid to shout down anyone egging Rytheric on for laughs. Good advice may be boring but that’s where we’re at, doing dumb poo poo is only funny when you have a solid foundation of smart poo poo to fall back on after it fails.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

No. NO. You're wrong. Stop trying to "outsmart" this. CO is always being produced when the engine is running. You, once again, learned a term or two (like "incomplete combustion") and think you can "logic" it all out from there.

In this case as well as others that type of willful ignorance will get you killed.

:emptyquote:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

Very stupid question: How is the exhaust seeping into the box cabin if the pipe is pointing downwards in the middle of a presumably solid floor? Is it a question of the exhaust seeping through some really small cracks in the floor and/or through the back and through the door seams?

I'm assuming the box truck is outside or something where the truck's own air intakes doesn't come into play, but I have no idea...

Hot air rises and nothing about a box truck is airtight.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Just gonna throw it out there that if you really want an unconventional RV platform, skoolie conversions are a thing and come with a number of benefits over an E350 box truck, such as windows and emergency egress.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

Given he has no other place to live in while he converts something into something he can live in, I think anything that doesn't begin as habitable is a distraction right now.

I said "skoolie conversions" implying one someone had already done the basic work on to add power distribution, generation, and storage but fair point.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I’d love to see a bosozoku stack though.

But seriously listen to elviscat

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

we should stop calling the truk GroverTruk and just call it RyTruck

RyTruk: Ryder Die

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

quote:

You have the power to change the thread title, and you didn't immediately change it to this ???

Doing anything mod related from a phone is misery. And Jeff and Astral are more focused on things like "fixing radium's load bearing slurs so the forum doesn't vanish" than "making mod tools that are slightly more usable from a phone." :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Danknificent posted:

God help me, let me get serious just this once:

If Ry won’t budge on the truck, then maybe we can meet him where he is, acknowledging that it’s sub-optimal, and propose however the truck situation can best be salvaged.

His presenting request to the thread isn’t “give me the blueprint for optimal homelessness so I can start over from scratch” — it’s “I have this land and this truck and I want to make it work”

The land and the truck might suck, but if we go from a place of accepting that they are not negotiable to him, I’m guessing there’s a way to make them at the very least not kill him.

We can’t treat him. We can’t change him.

It is a waste of time to try to convince him to make a radical change to embrace your functional goon vision of practical homelessness.

It’s potentially constructive to offer achievable suggestions toward making *his* vision of cool guy homelessness less bonkers/perilous.

:goonsay:

Source: my state license to practice clinical mental health therapy

This is a very good post and aligns with my experiences of being "house mom" in a series of punk houses when I was younger, where everyone has untreated mental health issues and the biggest concern is making sure you don't wake up to cops and/or a corpse in the morning.