Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
I love this. Document everything so I can read about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Rytheric posted:

Here is a reference to the lifestyle I'd like:
https://youtu.be/Hr5s0ps9rAQ

The highlight of this video is when he's talking about the gas bladder thing and when he's pushing on it around the 5:30 mark it sounds like it's farting. Also, what happens to this guy when he's old and can't take care of himself? Eskimo retirement?

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Rytheric posted:

I imagine he might light a firepit inside the shed or something. People tend to get cold easily when they get old.

I get it, you're planning ahead with getting the fire pit in your van. Already planning for the future. Smart move.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

OP have you given any thought to what the paint job of the GroverTruk is going to be once it's finished? I think flames on the side are obligatory

By my understanding Ry's goal is to have the flames on the inside.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Rytheric posted:

So I have the title search for the land of MurderHaus, and the seller gave me contract papers but they list different law firms and such that are suppose to hold monies and such. Wondering if I should rewrite the contracts excluding the law firms, ask the law firms to follow through with the contracts, or contact my companies legal team to draft me a contract.

The sale is complicated because it's two parcels. One of the parcels needs split then combined with the other parcel.

How much does land like this cost? I would think they'd just give it away after they harvest all of that bamboo. That's good bamboo!

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Rytheric posted:

The cost for the .75 acres is 10,000. Duder wants a 2-3k deposit and for me to pay the rest within 5 years. I'm just going to pay him $4000 and pay the rest off in a few months.

Yeah, you should get some lawyer or some title company to make sure they can sell it to you and no liens. I would think you should anyway...

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Rytheric posted:

Why is it more complicated than buying or selling a car? I feel I should be able to just write a bill of sale and then have a transfer of deed after its been described in a survey.

I am not smart enough when it comes to the legal aspects of land to tell you why it's more complicated. I'm just barely smart enough to tell you that it is. When you have a title company paid they have insurance so if someone comes along and says they couldn't sell that land to you because they already sold it to them then you're protected. I've bought a few houses in my time and have always paid for the title stuff.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

um excuse me posted:

COVID has driven people insane here. I want to move into a nice town in CT here and motherfuckers want $80,000 for 1.2 acres. The worst part is that poo poo is selling.

Just for the land?!

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Rytheric posted:

Land of MurderHaus update. Soil scientist completed his report for super cheap which means I can move on to the next step of the process which is to have the land surveyed (this could have came before the perc test; however, in cases like this a perc test was more important). After that I need to get my excavator cert so I can rent an excavator for cheap to do another perc test for the health department. Everyone is telling me to wait for the septic permit before buying, but its hard to wait.

Unfortunately, I may not have enough space to put a second MurderHaus as the potential septic field area takes up half of my property unless I go all modern with the panel blocks. I also have to move my well further away.

I also asked a modeling company to make scale model Timbers for me so I can make a 1:12 scale model of the MurderHaus. They said it was possible so I may make one right quick.

Don't you want to garden and live off the land? Correct me if I'm wrong, I was under the impression it's advised to not grow anything over a septic field. That's half your land that's taken into non-productivity.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Rytheric posted:

I just can't stand the noise and dust powered equipment produces. I prefer a quiet calm environment to work on my craft. Similar to how this dude operates below. He is one role model

https://youtu.be/V9W9xQS-EdQ

Ry, have you seen this guy yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy-4NxJRxNQ It's about a half hour of video of a guy who built a cabin in Alaska. I watched it years ago and wanted to provide it here to help for inspiration against all the naysayers and asses in the thread.

dervinosdoom posted:

Motronic, please never stop posting. :allears:

Disagree.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Rytheric posted:

Thank you.

Ry, I want you to succeed. This thread moves too fast now for me to be able to have time to contribute. I will share one thing. I think your greatest problem is not dreams or attempting to achieve them, I think your greatest impediment to achieving dreams is your impulse control. Another poster said how you're accidentally doing a lot of stuff that is costing you in health, finances, time, etc. I have a similar problem which is why I can spot it. I do a lot of stuff myself, too. The list of stuff I want to accomplish is longer than my arm. If I spend time on each item equally then nothing gets done at all year in year out. I'm trying to focus my time better to get one or two things done and then move onto the next one or two things. This has allowed me to actually get things off my plate and my list smaller.

A specific example of how you're hurting yourself is eating that much fast food. Number one, massively unhealthy. Number two, think about what materials that money can be buying you. Saving $10 a day is $50 in a week of work and that's quite a bit of supplies for your real goals.

I liked your post about things you're correcting direction/fixing. I'm glad you're considering walking away from the land purchase. There is so much land opportunities out there that you don't need to buy a dud of a deal.

Finally, the person who said you're a golden retriever of a human was absolutely right. I'm really enjoying reading about what's going on here. I'm glad you're getting your CO issue fixed because I really don't want you to die. One of these days maybe I'll see a documentary of what you did like the one I showed you of the Alaska dude and his cabin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice
Ry, buddy, I know the dog pile is growing. I still want you to succeed, but you are making it hard to root for you. There are better options health wise than fried chicken and Mac and cheese. Eating a foot long subway sandwich is probably healthier! I would bet even the meatball sandwich is healthier. AND SUBWAY HAS COUPONS TO GET IT CHEAPER!

Rytheric posted:

Here is a link to a YouTube video of someone making a box truck tiny home. https://youtu.be/7ohdKusa6zg

I want to touch on this because people haven't talked about it yet. Before I say anything I say again I want you to succeed. This is a great video! There's a few things I noticed right away about the video. They are using power tools, it's clear they aren't living in the truck as they fix it up, there are two people doing the work. The first one is obvious, if you can use power tools you should. The second point's takeaway is a little less obvious that maybe needs to be spelled out. It's clear these two have a home and a level of stability that is allowing them to not feel the stresses that would cause them to be delayed in their goals. One of the most important thing I tell everyone I speak to about success is to be successful the first ingredient is stability. You have to have a stable life; know where your next meal is coming, know you have a roof to sleep under, and know your health is going to be at least a little steady. Think about any project you're doing, we'll use building a chair as an example. The first step is having a plan of what you want it to look like. That's wrong though, the real first step is having the stability to be able to pursue the act of building a chair the second step is wanting to have a home crafted chair vs buying one, and the third step is drawing out the plans. Finally, there are two people doing the work. I'm not going to say a support system is a necessity because I have been successful without having a support system. But I've done projects both with a support system and without and it's far easier to do it with a support system.

My last post is still accurate. If you're going to succeed you need to focus on just a few things at a time. I think what you really need to focus on first is attaining a level of stability and a level of healthy to move onto the next project. Also, don't do the porch thing. The video you shared has them take off the door and put up a wall with a regular door. You could do that. Your porch can be the grass outside the door.

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 3, 2021