Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I'm still in the process of buying the property. Apparently there is like a legal process to buying property and it takes forever. Trying to get the septic permitted which requires me to have it surveyed and to get a excavator certification. It won't be til next month before I'm excavator certified. So another month before I buy it.

I live in the GroverTruk most days unless I'm working on it or sick.

I've never heard of needing an "excavator certification" to rent an excavator, nor have I ever heard of needing an excavator on site to get a septic permit. Or getting a septic permit on property you don't own for that matter. So I'm having a tough time keeping track of this entire sequence of events and why they need to happen before purchasing the property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

How is renting a miniex and paying to have it moved, use it, then have it moved back cheaper than hiring someone who already owns a miniex to come out and dig the test pit? It literally takes longer to strap the machine back down to the trailer again than to dig what is needed for this. You're looking at a couple hundred bucks for a 3 or 4 hour rental minimum and....how much to move it? How far are you from this rental place? Surely their minimum trip charge is at least $75.
(edit: and the course is another $185 https://sunbeltrentals.csod.com/LMS...age_id%3d-6#t=3)

And doesn't your boss have a miniex or a backhoe or something considering what you say you do for a living?

How are you going to get enough water to fill the test pit when the county inspector comes out? Hand bailing it out of a well? Where will you store the fruit of your hand bailing efforts while you wait for a county inspector to show up?

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 20, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I will be doing the joints myself. You can take a class at with the people in the youtube video I shared and learn how to do it in a week.

Bada bing bada boom! So easy.

Rytheric posted:

The down side of using sips is that you essentially need a crane to install it.

Oh good thing you're getting your "excavator certification" then.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I have to find my phone that doesn't have a broken camera. I will post when I can.

Convenient.

Rytheric posted:

My truck only requires a safety test since it's older than 20 years.

South Carolina in comparison doesn't even have safety inspections.

So technically if you live in the truck all you have to do is drive it to south carolina and you're totally legal.

um excuse me posted:

Note this video is a SIPS construction that has two floors and no crane or other machine to lift into place. Also note how loving fast they built it. One of the advantages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iAfVfPwSUg

Did you get bored with your own link and not make it to the end? The crane pulls up around the 15:00 mark.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Paladinus posted:

A couple of centuries ago people used to build houses without cranes all the time. Surely, one could easily replicate these ancient techniques.

Not while using modern materials (like pre-made trusses) and/or without any friends. Because things were put together in man-handleable pieces or you did the amish barn raising thing where you build walls on the ground and had literally the entire town there to help you life them into place.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

um excuse me posted:

That was for roofing of a two story single family home. That wasn't at all applicable to the construction of the walls of a single story Murderhaus.

He's still got to set trusses somehow, and someone who doesn't even know that polyurethane is the protective layer doesn't have any idea how to do this manually, by themselves, from a book.

But then again, that's why were all here, to watch how this fever dream implodes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So you bought three slab doors with no hardware, hinges or frame. This is gonna go great.

Rytheric posted:

You mean the ability to put a peg in a hole? Or a tenon in a mortise. I think I learned that as a toddler.

Lifting them into place there, ace. But you keep on fever dreaming.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

How inconceivable is it to imagine me laying a 5x5 against the side of a building and just pulling or hoisting it up then assembling it with another and just tilting it up. Here is a time lapse of one in a different style being build. No crane involved. This doesn't take super genius intelligence or strength to do.

https://youtu.be/0_naku8GRxg

How inconceivable is it for a small group of people with experience to do that like in your link? Not at all.

Rytheric posted:

I was in a rush for a date. I can get the hardware after I saw the bottom to size and poly the doors. The frame is essentially already done as I'm using the studs, sills, and plates as the frame.

So you're making your own frame. This is gonna be great.

Have you ever hung a door before? Do you have a door hanging kit or are you gonna go all old school craftsman and cut the hinges in with a chisel? Do you have a drill, bits and hopefully a jig for the handle hardware?

How is this going to stay closed when you're driving around?

How big of a gap are you leaving around everything, and how did you calculate that amount of space to prevent these doors from being crushed the very first time you drive the truck over anything other than a smooth road after you've installed them?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Like you're tripping over the simplist things.

Yes, it is I "tripping" over the simplest things.

Shine on you methy diamond.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Digital Prophet posted:

You sure are weirdly hostile for no reason, random goon. Rytheric isnt asking you to invest in his hotdog restaurant, he's not trying to get you to move to texas and start a goon colony, and he doesnt need to prove anything to you. Maybe you should take a break from being an rear end in a top hat for a little bit and see how that goes.

lol if you think this is hostile.

The problem here is that a decent percentage of what's being posted here is complete fabrication. I'm just not sure what percentage it is yet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I just can't stand the noise and dust powered equipment produces. I prefer a quiet calm environment to work on my craft. Similar to how this dude operates below. He is one role model

So "your craft" is now.....woodworking? Not chemistry or whatever term you're using for environmental remediation? I'm trying to keep good notes here but things change so quickly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

no, crafts like watercraft, aircraft, and landcraft

helicraft? towercraft?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I still can't get over the disconnect between eschewing power tools because of noise and dust and claiming to want to chisel apart a sheet of plywood instead of using a hand saw, but also getting a excavator to do all of the digging despite the noise and dust it will make compared to a shovel

Just buy the big Dewalt or Milwaukee or Makita power tool combo pack for ~$650 and save yourself weeks of production time, exactly like you're doing with the excavator

E: or are you just saving face because you know you can't efficiently charge the batteries or operate corded tools with your current power situation, and would need to buy a generator like people have been telling you that you should

Look, I ran afoul of this thread so I've come back to make amends. Comments like this aren't constructive at all. I know, because I made them too.

What we need are real solutions for Rys problems, and sitting around shitposting isn't going to make this happen.

I have begun my experiments in how to use a power saw without all the noise. In this first attempt I've tried to duplicate the things Ry will have access to on his job site and removed the battery from the saw so you know I'm not trying to pull a fast one on any of you.

The setup needs a bit of work, but it's seriously almost perfect as it is. Just a few clamps and it should be totally efficient.

https://i.imgur.com/Uuei2iV.gifv

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

A coping saw would not work for what I was doing unless the kerf was wider than the support. Maybe if I used a hand chain saw anchored to my foot.

Don't worry Ry, I'm on this one too. I need another hour or so to get this thing sharp but I'm sure it's gonna work. The chainsaw will be way too noisy and dusty.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Lol. Love the excavator too. It would be 5 years before I bought my own excavator if I ever decided to use one. It'd likely buy a pull behind drill rig before that though.

Thanks.

Unfortunately that idea didn't work out. But I'm in the middle of another one. Just need to spend some more time sharpening, but I feel good about it this time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I can not however power a corded circular saw. My current power system is 1380 watt/hr and my inverter is 1250 watt/hr. A circular saw is like 1400 watt/hr and would draw like 120 amps from my 12 volt system prior to transforming without considering loss. No thanks.

This works great with a battery in it, a battery that you could absolutely charge on your setup. Unfortunately it did NOT work the way I tried it here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

The battery is the Groverbattery not the Trukbattery.

So here's a thing: maybe you can say what you mean clearly instead of trying to forums-speak it up so much that it's not understandable anymore.

This is the initial reason I've had such a negative reaction to you not immediately started helping you out in earnest.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

motronic what kind of mini excavator is that

A Groverpillar obviously.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What type of engineer was that? Did you get it in writing? Was there a stamp?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Lol you typically don't stamp a phone a friend particularly if your intention is to use less current than tolerable.

So you tried a post that gave you some sort of authority through an "expert" that was only known to you, and when challenged went all "lol I phoned a friend!"

I'm just trying to figure out whether you can be helped or not. If so, you need to stop...whatever this lying is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kim Jaym Il posted:

I mean he didn't really come here looking for your help, he's documenting his (mis)adventures because some people thought the forums would find it entertaining.

We don't need to be weirdly aggressive and creepy. Is his friend a real engineer? Who knows. Who cares? He says they are, you don't need their name, address and SSN for whatever weird investigation you're trying to do here.

Oh right....a call to authority when what you are being questioned doesn't' have to be a call to ACTUAL authority. We should just think that this is a thing.

I mean, I'm just pretending to know what I'm talking about. There is no way that I actually own the equipment he's talking about that you need to do these things or have done them with less when necessary, etc. So what the gently caress would I know?

Motronic fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 25, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

D-LINK posted:

He also wants to build using a method not suited for a single man to perform by himself. People do that too. The problem is that he is not aware of how much work he's actually facing and he wants to invent his own methodology as he goes and he wants to use hand tools and do it alone and eschew advice.

The part about this that he also doesn't realize is that it's the kind of thing a wealthy person can do for a vanity project, but he's not financially stable at all, regardless of his claims. We see this throughout the thread.

What's going to happen when he get a bill from the engineer who's "going to make his plans to code" (this bill will be at least double what he thinks) and submits these plans for permit review is that he's going to end up with both the few hundred dollar permit fee and ANOTHER multi-thousand dollar bill along with it. It will be from the municipalities contract engineering firm, the one all munis have on contract for things just like....say...someone wants to use a building technique that, while in the building code, absolutely nobody at the office has ever dealt with so it goes for outside review.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I'm okay with that.

If you're okay with this why are you so stuck on a property that, let's be honest, is full of problems. It has two useless structures that needs to be demoed. It has a well that needs to be closed properly. This is not cheap. Both of those outhouse pits are going to need to be closed at some point most likely.

It's costing thousands of dollars just to get it surveyed, there's already a known encroachment of some else's structure on it. You're spending nearly a couple thousand dollars just trying to see if it will perc for septic, which it may or may not.

It isn't large enough, even with what ought to be pretty lax zoning codes, to allow what you wanted to do on it anyway.

What exactly is the up side of this awful property?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I also mentioned way back that I don't care about that kind of difficulty. That's something that one just has to put up with, it's a given, so there is not reason to think about it or put a value on it.

This is the kind of nonsense that guarantees you'll never actually get anything finished. This attitude of "things needs to happen, they may be easy, difficult or impossible but since they need to happen let's ignore scoping the problem" is how you end up sinking a bunch of time and money into something that becomes either 5x as expensive as you planned or you run into a 100% unviable showstopper.

You're not only trying to use construction techniques that aren't advisable, you're refusing to plan in any meaningful way. That's why this all comes off like a fever dream that will never, ever get anywhere close to happening.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

That and I want to buy up land next to it as time goes on to do more with it. Also it does perc. Both I and a soil scientist have determined that it does, it's just doing the work needed to get the county to accepted what the soil scientist has said.

It doesn't perc unless the county says it percs. Nothing can change that.

You also have not performed the actual test the county uses to determine this.

You do not have enough money to fight the government over a substandard property that you don't even own.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

A basic kubota brand new is around $10k. If you're clearing land, building, and digging with any frequency, it might be worth just buying yourself a used tractor that has the attachments you need. Instead of renting an excavator, buy one, use it til you're done, and sell it or keep it in the murdershed you build to house it and the truck.

Uhhh...that would be a BX series with no loader, no backhoe, no mower....just absolutely nothing but a 3 point hitch. Those subcompact tractors are near useless, FYI. They're great if you need to get into a tight spot, but pat that they are dangerous (too light) toys (too small to do real work).

For a BX with a backhoe and loader you're looking at more like $18k new. And for an actual useful tractor like a CUT with a loader and backhoe it's more like $30k.

So no, new isn't a good idea.

A ragged out TLB from a rental place? Yeah, you can get that for maybe $15k.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Who could have predicted such an outcome?

Personally I had the square for "owner wants $30k for the property now that you've spent the money to prove it percs and get it properly surveyed."

It's almost like there should be some sort of legal process to prevent things like this from happening during a land transaction.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

um excuse me posted:

That's not...you can't...why would...

See, you can't even argue with that impeccable logic.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

corgski posted:

Holy poo poo dude you're being taken for a ride. Get an agent and start looking for land through them and accept that this is sunk costs on a literal scam.

That's something that one just has to put up with, it's a given, so there is not reason to think about it or put a value on it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Yes. I have a title search and have looked up the previous septic reports and such on the land.

You have a "title search" that you paid $1,000 for by one of the people trying to scam you. What are the chances it's accurate?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There's a bunch of people being aggressively antagonistic though for no real reason other than they don't like what's goin on or being pissed their opinion isn't paramount. For one, just because Ry "isn't listening" to some rando rear end in a top hat on somethingawful.com doesn't mean he isn't listening to professionals because Ry has already stated he has asked professionals he works with and listens to what they say. Or maybe he isn't, but he really did plan to get that lawyer.

I mean he didn't really come here looking for your help, he's documenting his (mis)adventures because some people thought the forums would find it entertaining. So stop giving all of this land buying advice. You're bringing down the mood of the thread.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

builds character posted:

At the risk of bungee cording my own metaphorical sawzall to an excavator here...

Phleeeeuze.....I'm a professional. That was a harbor freight ratchet strap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

schmug posted:

dude. people "back down" 10k on 200k properties, not 20k. you can't be this naïve...

Yet here we are.

And unfortunately this property, even at $20k, isn't worth the time to represent him by any actually experienced broker. It's also $4000 away from even having a clear title.....minimum...just from what we already know.

This is a property which is most often left to the county for unpaid taxes because it's just worth so much less than perfecting the title, removing the existing physical defects and getting zoning/perc done in a way that allows for permits.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Just spoke with a realtor. There appears to be one more complication. The owner of the land has a lien on it for the manuhome he put on it in 2014. Sounds like he would have to refinance it to exclude the part I want to buy. Then I'd have to combine two parcels when I buy it. The good news is that him having a loan means the bank didn't have issue with the border dispute. So I can probably piggyback off that.

Somebody else called lien already. Winner, announce yourself! (edit: it was beep. Congratulations, you get nothing)

Also, now you know that your "title research" that you paid $1,000 loving dollars for is a scam not only in price as you already admitted to, but also in content. Because it takes all of 5 minutes to figure out if a property has a lien on it in nearly every county. Very often for $0 using only the county public records site or calling them.

In case you're still not getting it, why don't you tell us the full-of-red-flags origin story where these sellers found you, their mark? I don't think we've heard how you "selected" this location.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The easiest thing you could do? sheriff sales for vacant land would honestly be easier and less of a hassle.

Noooooooooo. This was good advice right up until here. Sheriff's sales are "as is". Any existing liens, including ones that may not have been filed yet (mechanics liens for work done on the property yet not paid for......like surveys and perc test perhaps) are the problem of the seller. No contingencies and often no access for inspections. No idea if anything percs or was formerly a toxic waste dump. No indication that there's a bad well the county will make you spend $2,000 closing, etc, etc. You also need cash. Right now.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 27, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

There are plenty of others that are suitable for your plans.

This implies that the piece of land we're talking about here, if it had clean title to be conveyed, is suitable for his purposes. And as he's already found out, it's not. No even after spending thousands to close an existing well and drill a new one. He still can't get anywhere close to what he initially wanted to do, which he justified as a way to help pay for the property/help more people/whatever.

But dude is fixated on this and nothing we say matters. He's gonna keep getting bled dry by people involved with this property, who will find another one to bleed him dry on we he starts to feel bad about this one. Rinse and repeat.

Because regardless of what the "I have no idea what I'm talking about but you're being mean" posters thing, no....he is not talking to professionals and taking their advice. This is a person who doesn't even know enough to form a proper question to ask for advice like this, and certainly can't handle interpreting the answer. This has been repeatedly proven in this very thread.

It's just sad at this point. The truck is junk, it's "framed" entirely wrong, the doors are just weird and won't work - and too much money was spent on them considering how much else would need to be done to make this thing "live-able", it's parked in a place where he doesn't want to start it to run his medically prescribed device or run the heat on a night with near freezing temperatures.......

Anyone not pissing in this well is just enabling. And we're clearly heading towards someone who is consistently not only getting scammed and making poor decisions with the little money they have, but also directly putting their own life in danger.

Stop. Enabling.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I don’t think the knowledge you have about borrowing from your 401(k) is correct and you may want to double and triple check that with someone who knows what they’re talking about.

I don't know why you think you know better than Ry here. He's simulated this money management plan several times in toilet eve and it always works. Compared to the rest of us he's literally got more practical experience.

Rytheric posted:

My boss suggested I do it that way.........
The point of moving in with my boss was to learn more financial discipline and such.

Findom is not the same as financial discipline, just in case you got confused. Also, if your boss is repeatedly taking 401(k) loans he's really bad with money. People who repeatedly do this only get away with it because they earn enough to paper over their own mistakes in fairly short order, meaning they would be in such a good financial position if they didn't keep loving up that they wouldn't be taking on hygiene-challenged lodgers and their box trucks for extra money.

You on the other hand don't earn much at all, and are likely to no be able to recover from something like this for many, many years. We're talking bankruptcy of course, but you're gonna end up owing the IRS also and guess what.....bankruptcy doesn't matter, they're gonna get their money.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

koshmar posted:

That brings up a good point. How are doors, manufactured to be installed in a stationary object, going to handle be installed in a box truck. I can imagine there’s going to be a lot of swaying and lateral motion the doors won’t like.

As I've been saying, they won't. The logical assumption of doors like this, especially with windows in them, is that the door frame they are installed into will remain square and level. Not only didn't he buy a door frame, he obviously has no idea of how to build a door frame because the very simple wall framing he's shown is all done wrong and that's like the simplest possible framing to do. Making a door frame is pretty detailed and time consuming, which is why most of us buy pre-hung doors - i.e. the come with a frame and all the hardware cut in and installed.

But forget all of that. Truck frames and bodies are made to flex. A lot more than you think. So anything that has been fixed mounted in the back of this truck, including his framing, is just going to be getting stretched and crushed every time it's driven. This is bad enough with a bunch of dimensional lumber, but we've now added plate glass to the mix.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

His mentality was that there is nothing that needs done can't be done yourself and you'll get to know your vehicle better. Which is true. I know a lot more about the vehicle know. I have mapped out where everything is the lbs to torque it to and such. I do get the Hanes and Chiltons manuals for every vehicle I own. I've replaced sensors, redone the vacuum lines and the like.

Oh, nice. Sounds like this is one project Ry is doing well so far and....

Rytheric posted:

But I'd have to essentially put the vehical up on cinderblocks and rip the front axles out to get things done easily. Then I'd have to limp it to a shop to tighten the radius arm bolts because they need torqued to 300lbs. My friend use to work on hummers and such in the army then got his associates.

You're going to do loving what with cinder blocks?

Seriously.....you don't know enough about anything to work on things that have the potential to put others in harms way. You either didn't understand what your friend told you or your friend is an idiot former PFC who worked in the motor pool doing oil changes wrong.

300 ft lbs is like.....not any sort of big deal on a vehicle. With hand tools.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

It have to take the front axles out to replace the pivot bushing for the twin I beam. While it out I can press the stabilizer bar bushings in which is frustrating as all get out to do while the radius arms are attached. It will be easier to do if I put my axle on the work bench.

You've never done anything like this. You googled the poo poo out of it and learned some words.

This, in a nutshell, is your problem. You're a loving first day expert on everything that your brain happens to latch on to for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

So what I'm thinking is that probably the best course of action is to forget about land this year. If I want the land I can try again next year. I can take the $6000 I have and take GroverTruk to get the suspension replaced and fixed up then finish flushing it out. Save up and worry about land for the MurderHaus next year. That land is probably not going to get sold anytime soon so in the least it will be waiting for me next year. In the mean time I can look elsewhere and establish connections with my company lawyer and such. I at least learned more about the process this year.

I think you need to find reasonable, boring, reliable and safe transportation with that $6,000. So that you can get to a job, perhaps even this one, every day and on time so that you can reliably make money so that you can perhaps even get a proper place to live.