Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
OP please be careful with battery banks they not only need to be kept in a fire proof enclosure but you need to ventilate them when they are charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rytheric posted:

The only thing I have a collection of is 6 months of huel I saved up using my stimulus money. I have been thinking of buying a mosenberg 590m magazine fed pump action shot gun. Reason being, I've had a lot of random people just randomly try to climbing into the back my box truck only to realize I'm in it eating pizza or something.

I had one guy jump into the back while I was stopped at a stoplight. While I was driving down the road I started hearing noises in the back so I look out my side mirror and lock eyes with a guy hanging off the side illuminated in red from my taillights. He immediately jumped backwards off my truck while I was going 35mph down the road. Dude fell and rolled into the traffic behind me. I had mixed feelings over whether to stop or not, but I ultimately just drove on and left his condition a mystery as I had no idea if he was crazy and traffic behind me could have either mobbed me or It could have been an insurance scam.

Another homeless guy I somewhat knew at the pizza joint I frequented looked like he was casing me to rob me. So I grabbed my pizza, locked myself in the back, sat in my camping chair, and had my framing hammer at the ready. His girl friend ended up distracting him though so I dont know if he would have followed through with it. I dont stop to eat pizza there anymore.

Please OP, get a rear door for your box truck.

Also why don't you run the exhaust pipe through some underfloor heating.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
What kind of glass are you going to have in your french doors

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rytheric posted:

Okay, so if the county forces me to put a toilet and kitchen in the MurderHaus this is how it's going to be built.

May make this smaller. It seems huge to me. Maybe make the main area a 10x12.

do yourself a favour and don't build an extension like that if you're building from scratch. just make the 'extension' have the same roof line as the rest of the house.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rytheric posted:

Here is a pic of the doors. Unfortunately I left them outside last night not expecting it to rain so I'm hoping they don't warp lol. Poor photo quality to satiate someones impatience lol.

Interior unfinished doors left out in the rain? yeah those are gonna warp.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
You can get those weird drillbit jigs that cut square holes

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
No one is saying plug the grovertruk battery directly into cordless tools, manufacturers tried that and instead came up with batteries that are more portable and fit the sockets on cordless tools.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rytheric posted:

They were suggesting that im not using corded power tools because my system couldn't hand it. And when I confirmed it wouldn't handle it, but that I could charge a battery for are battery powered one. They suggested a 10 amp corded power tool would work with my 1250w inverter without considering the constrains of my battery and that the 1250w was a 2x safety factor.

Both the lithium tool battery chargers I own are rated at <100W to charge batteries.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Why not just take off one of the grovertruk tires and use it to run everything mechanical with a huge rubber belt.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

:emptyquote:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rytheric posted:

Anyway back to GroverTruk. I think we've had enough talk on the land of MurderHaus that it's fatiguing people.

Here are the doors I am going to use as a reference when I hang my own French doors.

This is the general shape and lay out. From experience with this door in this climate I know that I need more of a gap than is provided by this door because they swell together pretty hard in the summer when it rains.

So this is how the hinges are. Im thinking about just chiseling the frame side instead of both the frame side and the door so there is a little more room to account for swelling. My doors at work are hinged like that so I may take a picture of it as an example.

This is how it's typically locked then a bolt lock on one side. I intend to have these locks on both doors to compensate for truk movement and on both sides so I can lock it in place as I exit.

People who paint without masking and removing hardware are worse than satan.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If there's one thing you should learn about vehicle maintenance it's:

Don't gently caress around with suspension springs.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Get rid of this loving abortion of a live-in vehicle and buy something that was actually designed for habitation like a camper trailer or an RV.

Sell the loving telescope and stop throwing away money on a property scam that has already gotten money out of you multiple times.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

corgski posted:

Just gonna throw it out there that if you really want an unconventional RV platform, skoolie conversions are a thing and come with a number of benefits over an E350 box truck, such as windows and emergency egress.

Given he has no other place to live in while he converts something into something he can live in, I think anything that doesn't begin as habitable is a distraction right now.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Leperflesh posted:

The habit of eating groceries is extremely facilitated by having a kitchen, with a refrigerator, pantry, cooking utensils, etc. It's a fundamental issue with your camping lifestyle. You keep talking about the inefficiency of rent, but the inefficiencies of having to live without a kitchen, laundry, bathroom, etc. are significant too and one of them is the massive inefficiency of impending physical collapse due to your diet.

Also, do you see how your one fixation flows into another and then another? The box truck can't easily be parked on the street (no back door so it's insecure), so you can't rent an apartment, so you have to live in the truck while it's not actually a tiny house yet? You can't have an indoor bathroom, so you need multiple structures, so you need land that can handle that, so that restricts your land acquisition options? You simply must have thick insulation in order to save what, ten or twenty bucks a month on heating costs, so you must build from scratch and must have a box truck so you can use framing to permit insulation and this leads into all the other insane costs and commitments?

You're simultaneously absurdly flexible in how you're willing to live, and absurdly inflexible on key attributes of your plans. One of the hallmarks of people who successfully self-start and live the lifestyle you're going for - including, I'll wager, your beloved handyman grandpa - is not having these key points of inflexibility that drive all the rest of your decisions in ways that actively impede your progress. I obviously don't know your grandpa but I bet he'd tell you to just deal with less insulation if it means saving thousands of dollars and perhaps years of time living without any indoor space at all, because then you could just buy a tiny home platform that is already halfway (or all the way) to being properly habitable. Or just live in an apartment, buy land nearby when you've saved enough and can find a plot that isn't a scam, and construct a properly insulated home on it.

And since we're on the subject of the heating efficiency fixation anyway, your logic isn't even logical. Producing the heating energy for your tiny home via any method you can on-site, be it solar, generator, running the truck engine, etc. are all far less efficient than taking electricity off the grid the way a properly built home structure does. Electric power plants have economies of scale that give massive efficiency advantages compared to doing something on a tiny scale. Yes, you can catch up sorta, if you do an earthship (but you're not doing an earthship), or if you have geothermal (but you're not doing geothermal), those are irrelevant to your actual plans of insulating a box truck and then living inside it, which will never ever be as energy efficient as any of the above.

:emptyquote:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Have you insulated the roof or floor yet

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Experimenting with a passively heated box truck is something you can do when you have a stable living situation.

When you are living in that box truck is not a stable living situation.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Needing to seal the back to keep it warm (which is never gonna loving happen with FRENCH DOORS and NO PROPER REAR DOOR) is incompatible with the need to keep it well ventilated to NOT DIE FROM EXHAUST GASSES

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Turning a box truck into an RV is the vehicle equivalent of people making shipping container houses.

"It's roughly the right shape of the thing I want so it's perfect!"

Also not having a proper, factory-standard-looking, rear door on the box truck is going to draw disproportionately more attention from thieves.

Edit: Which one as a thief are you going to immediately start scoping out.

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 3, 2021

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Motronic posted:

It's also likely that without a proper rear door you're gonna get pulled over at random (that was gonna happen anyway, let's be serious but this just clinches it) for not having a secure load. Somebody already said this thing is rolling probable cause (and the cops only need reasonable suspicion, which is a lower bar).

Breaking bad taught us probable cause doesn't apply to vehicles that people live in

:goonsay:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Ry this truck is going to kill you not through any direct means but by not having a fridge and food preparation so you can not eat like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

RyGuy, on some level, I respect your desire to fend for yourself and forge from nothing, but you need to address a lot of other things in your life first before you can adequately handle these projects you're hoping to take on, including this truck of yours.

Please re-evaluate your living situation, so you can learn how to maintain a healthy diet. Otherwise, you aren't even going to get the opportunity to Timberframe, because you are going to drop dead for unrelated reasons. You have existing health conditions that need to be managed, and living out of a truck (that's homelessness) and eating fast food is not managing these conditions.

You have what sounds like a stable job with good income and health insurance, and that is far more than many people in this country and many people who browse these forums have. Please don't waste it.

Rent an apartment with a kitchen, talk to your doctor about your existing conditions, learn how to eat (check out the cooking subforum), figure out if your health insurance will allow you to speak to a mental health professional.

Please, no one wants you to die, and we're willing to help if you're willing to listen.

Also, stop refusing medical treatment because you think other people need it more, they don't. You're the one who needs it more right now so you don't die.