Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

How can this be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

This is some kind of elaborate bit, but it’s fun

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

The only thing I have a collection of is 6 months of huel I saved up using my stimulus money. I have been thinking of buying a mosenberg 590m magazine fed pump action shot gun. Reason being, I've had a lot of random people just randomly try to climbing into the back my box truck only to realize I'm in it eating pizza or something.

I had one guy jump into the back while I was stopped at a stoplight. While I was driving down the road I started hearing noises in the back so I look out my side mirror and lock eyes with a guy hanging off the side illuminated in red from my taillights. He immediately jumped backwards off my truck while I was going 35mph down the road. Dude fell and rolled into the traffic behind me. I had mixed feelings over whether to stop or not, but I ultimately just drove on and left his condition a mystery as I had no idea if he was crazy and traffic behind me could have either mobbed me or It could have been an insurance scam.

Another homeless guy I somewhat knew at the pizza joint I frequented looked like he was casing me to rob me. So I grabbed my pizza, locked myself in the back, sat in my camping chair, and had my framing hammer at the ready. His girl friend ended up distracting him though so I dont know if he would have followed through with it. I dont stop to eat pizza there anymore.

please do not take anyone’s life

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

I got a new radiator. But an original plastic one. The control fail point is so I dont have to buy another. Tires alone for it were $1450. Then the catalytic converter which was 300. Then I had to replace several control units and the starter myself and a new battery. The starter wouldnt stop starting for a while so I had to replace it and the relay. Then I had to redo all the vacuum lines. The electrical for the running lights were just wrong so that was another 300 to fix. I also had to finds seats and seat belts since someone put the wrong year seats in and didn't bother to bolt them down. Another 300. I also have to redo the suspension as all my bushings are out and the rear shocks are like bent and some day I have to put the sway bar back on when I pull out the front in. Saving up for new brakes and calipers though cause I might as well redo them while I have the front axles out. That's roughly $2000. More if someone else does it.

Had no intention on getting a rear door. Those doors only open and lock from the outside and take up room. Going to gave a screen instead. Saving up for my bedrooms french doors which are $500. Over all I will say this beauty will be 11-12k once finished.

Makes sense, great idea!

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I’m glad “buy a gun to kill people who poke their head into this seemingly abandoned doorless vehicle” is no longer among your goals

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Thank god I voted

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Wait your van has been failing inspection all this time lol

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Did you take that pic on a Palm Treo lol

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

This lot still has the property line going through the neighbors house, right?

Why are you spending all this money to run samples and get certifications for problematic property you don’t own? Surely there is a more straightforward lot available somewhere?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

This is just incredible stuff

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

Well more unfortunate news. I accidently depleted the groverBattery to the point my inverter doesn't want to charge it (Left my outlets on and the inverter drains the battery anyway.) And I'm too lazy to crank up the engine right now and don't want to wake the neighbors anyway. Luckily it's raining so it's going to stay roughly 39 throughout the night. So roughly 50-55 in the box so I should be good. Need a switch to disconnect everything so I don't accidently drain my battery in the future.

You could die tonight without the CPAP, no?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Even without the doors, any walls or framing that goes in the back of this truck is going to be subjected to an insane amount of flex just driving the car down a street

Trucks like these are designed to bend a whole hell of a lot

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Edit wait i rescind this whole post, this thread is tragic lol

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 2, 2021

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Sell the truck

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

This truck loving sucks rear end

Sell the truck

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Why are we talking about insulation when you don’t even have a door on the back of your box truck? It’s insulated because you built a tiny closet in back of it. You could build the same closet in the back of a bus or whatever else.

Even if you’re dead set on a box truck, you can buy one that isn’t as old and isn’t loaded with problems in its basic drivability

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

So. GroverTruk was in an accident the year before last and was totaled by an Insurance company because although it was mainly cosmetic damage the value of the repair exceed the cost of the vehicle. It was sold at an auto auction for $500. Then someone repaired it and got a restored title for it. How I got scammed as pointed out to me by a goose was that they got the title washed prior to selling it to me or it somehow got washed when I titled it by the officer entering something incorrectly while they were checking to make sure it wasn't stolen and if it was road enough worthy. One of those things happened. Apparently washing a vehicle title is a federal offense that is not enforced in my state which allowed this to happen. if its not disclosed that it was washed to the next purchaser though that's another federal offense which makes it harder to sell.

How the deal went down was sketch but not uncommon in where I'm from in west virginia. I bought it off a guy in my town, but it was a virginia title with some dealer in Georgia as the name on the bill of sale. The actual seller just told me that he just didn't get around to titling it himself. Which isn't uncommon in weet virginia as some people are simply too porr to title a vehicle sometimes.

Prior to my acquisition GroverTruk was used as a mobile side of the road repair truck that could switch out people's tires and such.

I was going to give the seller an extra $500 on top of what I gave him over the purchase price for being such a good fellow, but my girl friend at the time talked me out of it.

Lmao

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

If you went from an expensive apartment and two brand new cars to a single-room apartment and a complete piece of poo poo, with the same cash flow, shouldn’t you be awash with cash right now? Why are you dipping into your retirement for $2000 expenses?

PS sell the truck

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Alright, this thread is a lot to digest --- much like Ry's diet of 18 loving pieces of fried chicken a day, plus mac & cheese, plus all the biscuits that come with those buckets. So I'm a little confused as to the design here, after Spooky here mentioned NO PROPER REAR DOOR.

The French doors are going where the old roll-up back door used to be, I got that right? So the only thing keeping the truk safe from illegal entry is a bunch of glass. And I assume French door glass isn't like auto glass, which takes a bit of effort to break?

What's to stop a thief, or even just some random drunk/meth'ed-up hooligan, from breaking the panel nearest the handle with a convenient rock the size of a baseball, and getting in?

The French doors are like 2/3rds into the box, as entry to the closet thing he’s sleeping in behind the cab

He’s said that he is going to buy a gun and if anyone tries to enter his unsecured abandoned vehicle he will murder them. I think he might have cooled off on the idea, but he didn’t include it on his list of learning so I dunno

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

Wow wow wow. I never said a thing about murdering someone.

Rytheric posted:

The only thing I have a collection of is 6 months of huel I saved up using my stimulus money. I have been thinking of buying a mosenberg 590m magazine fed pump action shot gun. Reason being, I've had a lot of random people just randomly try to climbing into the back my box truck only to realize I'm in it eating pizza or something.

I had one guy jump into the back while I was stopped at a stoplight. While I was driving down the road I started hearing noises in the back so I look out my side mirror and lock eyes with a guy hanging off the side illuminated in red from my taillights. He immediately jumped backwards off my truck while I was going 35mph down the road. Dude fell and rolled into the traffic behind me. I had mixed feelings over whether to stop or not, but I ultimately just drove on and left his condition a mystery as I had no idea if he was crazy and traffic behind me could have either mobbed me or It could have been an insurance scam.

Another homeless guy I somewhat knew at the pizza joint I frequented looked like he was casing me to rob me. So I grabbed my pizza, locked myself in the back, sat in my camping chair, and had my framing hammer at the ready. His girl friend ended up distracting him though so I dont know if he would have followed through with it. I dont stop to eat pizza there anymore.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

It seems to me that one person may already have died as a consequence of you not having a rear door on your truck. We don’t know because you didn’t stop and check after he “rolled into traffic”

What were you ready to do with that framing hammer?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Hey maybe you should just put a loving locking door on the box itself. Perhaps you could put it where the locking door used to be

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

I dont care much about the value of my property. I only care about the ability to defend myself. But your point still stands.

What were you prepared to do with that framing hammer? What was the homeless person doing that made you feel that this response was justified?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Motronic posted:

Dude, it's kinda of important. Because you have a bunch of people just enabling bad behaviors here.

It's funny when you're just a goof and nobody's getting hurt. But you have legit issues, none of this is helping you, and it's not funny anymore.

Ive come around to this way of thinking

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The_Muncher posted:

Ry I know you are super attached to being able to just pull up someplace and sit on your porch but why is that incompatible with a regular assed rolling door?

If it were me, my first priority after the exhaust would be replacing the door. I would probably also manufacturer a false wall to deter thieves. First thing that comes to mind is like sections of drums with biohazard or radiation warnings on them. but like, you could still have a cozy little porch behind those after they swing out of the way!

Your current setup seems really dangerous! And wastes the biggest advantage of a box truck imo which is having a stealth camper.

Pretty sure he took the door off himself. He didn’t want to waste the three inches of headroom on the track for the door.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

My boss is a 20 year retired patrolman, and my other room mate was a sheiffs deputy for several years. I've gone to dinner with several of the officers in the area as a result. Plus I am generally a known quantity everywhere I go for various reasons. I typically establish good relations with the popo and local government. I'm not a bootlicker by any stretch of the means but I am rather personable in real life and the games I play.

Congrats on being white

Your boss is an rear end in a top hat

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Btw the minute one of your little projects makes a white person with money uncomfortable, which is probably one minute after you move out of the sheriff’s illegal apartment, those cops are going to stop being your friends

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

um excuse me posted:

Is that based on something or do you interpret ACAB literally? It seems like you're bringing some baggage into your posting that doesn't really add anything useful.

His boss has been giving him nothing but poo poo advice, is taking advantage of him financially, and is now making him feel invincible about police interference on any of his plans (including gun ownership).

If he was performing his responsibility as a friend/advisor then the people in this topic wouldn’t have to be doing it.

If Ry thinks that his cool personality and temporary social connections are going to protect him from the law when he’s fully executed his plan and is homeless, that’s another fantasy that we should be pushing back on

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

I've only lived in this town for 2-3 years. I'm not relying on my boss for protections. I've had good experience with the pope everywhere I go. Yes, I'm privileged in a sense. Typically I don't do anything suspicious and if I stand out and get questioned i explain myself and have conversations with them even when I was living out of a firebird. I realize not everyone has the opportunity to explain themselves. And north carolina has a light Marijuana decriminalization due to the uptick in hemp production so people aren't getting randomly pulled over for it as much here anymore under that excuse.

Sleeping in an open-air commercial vehicle is suspicious. You are going to come up against some hard consequences when you are sleeping in it in some suburban neighborhood instead of the driveway of a retired police officer

You’re an interesting goofball to a cop until some landed white person decides you’re scary

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

I dont drink sugar because I my diabetes. Yes I know that makes it sound worse. If it's any constellation I stopped eating like that since someone posted my sodium intake.

Edit: this is the point where I confess that I also wanted to use non-powered tools as an excuse to help me get back in shape.

Wasn’t that like two days ago? I don’t think you’re ready to say you’ve stopped eating like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

Only eating one bucket of kfc with Mac and cheese instead of two and two chicken biscuit from McDonald's in the morning.

I need to find a better fast food option til I get out of the habit.

Probably going to cut the Mac and cheese. I normally don't eat it.

Lmfao