Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Muncher
Mar 2, 2021

Rytheric posted:

So. GroverTruk was in an accident the year before last and was totaled by an Insurance company because although it was mainly cosmetic damage the value of the repair exceed the cost of the vehicle. It was sold at an auto auction for $500. Then someone repaired it and got a restored title for it. How I got scammed as pointed out to me by a goose was that they got the title washed prior to selling it to me or it somehow got washed when I titled it by the officer entering something incorrectly while they were checking to make sure it wasn't stolen and if it was road enough worthy. One of those things happened. Apparently washing a vehicle title is a federal offense that is not enforced in my state which allowed this to happen. if its not disclosed that it was washed to the next purchaser though that's another federal offense which makes it harder to sell.

How the deal went down was sketch but not uncommon in where I'm from in west virginia. I bought it off a guy in my town, but it was a virginia title with some dealer in Georgia as the name on the bill of sale. The actual seller just told me that he just didn't get around to titling it himself. Which isn't uncommon in weet virginia as some people are simply too porr to title a vehicle sometimes.

Prior to my acquisition GroverTruk was used as a mobile side of the road repair truck that could switch out people's tires and such.

I was going to give the seller an extra $500 on top of what I gave him over the purchase price for being such a good fellow, but my girl friend at the time talked me out of it.

Hi Ry,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

So to be clear here, you do own the truck, went and registered it with your local DMV or Tax Collector or whatever? You didn't just hand some really good fellow that had already scammed you a couple thousand bucks for a "title"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Muncher
Mar 2, 2021

AdmiralViscen posted:

The French doors are like 2/3rds into the box, as entry to the closet thing he’s sleeping in behind the cab

He’s said that he is going to buy a gun and if anyone tries to enter his unsecured abandoned vehicle he will murder them. I think he might have cooled off on the idea, but he didn’t include it on his list of learning so I dunno

Ry I know you are super attached to being able to just pull up someplace and sit on your porch but why is that incompatible with a regular assed rolling door?

If it were me, my first priority after the exhaust would be replacing the door. I would probably also manufacturer a false wall to deter thieves. First thing that comes to mind is like sections of drums with biohazard or radiation warnings on them. but like, you could still have a cozy little porch behind those after they swing out of the way!

Your current setup seems really dangerous! And wastes the biggest advantage of a box truck imo which is having a stealth camper.

The_Muncher
Mar 2, 2021

Rytheric posted:

I've only lived in this town for 2-3 years. I'm not relying on my boss for protections. I've had good experience with the pope everywhere I go. Yes, I'm privileged in a sense. Typically I don't do anything suspicious and if I stand out and get questioned i explain myself and have conversations with them even when I was living out of a firebird. I realize not everyone has the opportunity to explain themselves. And north carolina has a light Marijuana decriminalization due to the uptick in hemp production so people aren't getting randomly pulled over for it as much here anymore under that excuse.

Excuse me?

The_Muncher
Mar 2, 2021
I guess I shouldn't be surprised you got gout after you explained your diet...

Holy poo poo you're gonna die dude.

The_Muncher
Mar 2, 2021

Drone posted:

Were you drinking ungodly amounts exclusively from leaded crystal carafes or something

It's caused by eating meat.

Mostly organ meat, but when you're stuffing $40 of Bojangles down your maw a day I don't think it matters if it's a moderate or severe trigger because of excess. Sugar's another trigger and I just assume dude was loading up on whatever the largest beverage option is.

The_Muncher
Mar 2, 2021

Ardemia posted:

3. For the very important business of securing the back of the truck, I bet you could find a similar style roll door to replace it with. I agree with other posters that finding a 25 year old replacement for a wear component like that on a fleet vehicle would be tough, but I bet a newer one would work just fine, given the opening dimensions should be very similar for one 10-15 years newer. Failing a replacement like that, a regular roll style garage door *might* work, but youll have to do some retrofit for that I'm sure. A comedy option would be those large old timey scissor metal gates they used to use on freight elevators.

They even make insulated ones:

https://www.whitingdoor.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=55

The_Muncher
Mar 2, 2021

Earth posted:

Ry, buddy, I know the dog pile is growing. I still want you to succeed, but you are making it hard to root for you. There are better options health wise than fried chicken and Mac and cheese. Eating a foot long subway sandwich is probably healthier! I would bet even the meatball sandwich is healthier. AND SUBWAY HAS COUPONS TO GET IT CHEAPER!

I want to touch on this because people haven't talked about it yet. Before I say anything I say again I want you to succeed. This is a great video! There's a few things I noticed right away about the video. They are using power tools, it's clear they aren't living in the truck as they fix it up, there are two people doing the work. The first one is obvious, if you can use power tools you should. The second point's takeaway is a little less obvious that maybe needs to be spelled out. It's clear these two have a home and a level of stability that is allowing them to not feel the stresses that would cause them to be delayed in their goals. One of the most important thing I tell everyone I speak to about success is to be successful the first ingredient is stability. You have to have a stable life; know where your next meal is coming, know you have a roof to sleep under, and know your health is going to be at least a little steady. Think about any project you're doing, we'll use building a chair as an example. The first step is having a plan of what you want it to look like. That's wrong though, the real first step is having the stability to be able to pursue the act of building a chair the second step is wanting to have a home crafted chair vs buying one, and the third step is drawing out the plans. Finally, there are two people doing the work. I'm not going to say a support system is a necessity because I have been successful without having a support system. But I've done projects both with a support system and without and it's far easier to do it with a support system.

My last post is still accurate. If you're going to succeed you need to focus on just a few things at a time. I think what you really need to focus on first is attaining a level of stability and a level of healthy to move onto the next project. Also, don't do the porch thing. The video you shared has them take off the door and put up a wall with a regular door. You could do that. Your porch can be the grass outside the door.

I don't even think the truck is even necessarily the worst idea if he'd make a few compromises for safety and focuses on an action plan he needs to complete before he loses the room he's renting. But like, dude needs a door, and a power system that can run a hotplate and a refrigerator. Aside from that I would prioritize getting some basic walls and insulation going, seal the deck so the exhaust isn't pouring in. It sounds like he has the resources to accomplish this, and tbh, I would be envious of having a mobile home that I owned outright, but he keeps not doing the sensible thing because he's wacky, or mentally ill, or eccentric or whatever you want to call it.

Big Taint posted:

Ya but that fucks up his vibe of chillin' the back of his truk eating tendies and gazing at the Bojangles parking lot through his french doors.

It rolls up?!!!?!

The_Muncher fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 3, 2021

The_Muncher
Mar 2, 2021

Motronic posted:

Have you ever spent a few weeks in an RV, cooking your own meals? Provisioning and storage are a huge deal and everything is more effort. You also have running water, both hot and cold in a proper RV. And an oven. And a counter. And cabinets/drawers to prepare food on, store cutlery, cooking utensils, pots, pans, dishes, etc. And a proper stove with a vent hood so you don't smoke out/steam out the interior.

There is no reality in which a hotplate and a refrigerator in the back of a box truck is a reasonable plan for preparing your own meals for even the medium term.

Sure, but i was talking at a bare minimum and having seen what goes into RV and camper trailer rebuilds I'm legit not sure it would be less work getting a leaky mold farm in his price range to a place where it's habitable compared to getting the basics into place in the truck he already owns and is weirdly attached to. Personally I do a lot more on my stovetop than with my oven and I could get by without one, and a proper vent hood isn't a luxury I've ever had in any of the rentals I've lived in. Kind of assume whatever surface he builds for the hotplate he can use for food prep. Running water is an issue but you can do a lot with jugs, pvc, and gravity. I've know a guy that lives out of a couple hacker vans that even has a setup for outdoor showers where he's got a jug with a low energy consumption water heater in it he threw together. If he can figure out how to frame, insulate, and panel it in a way that allows for building off the paneling he needs like, a workbench, some jugs and gravity plumbing for water, a compostable toilet, bins for storage, and a genny and he wouldn't be that bad off.

He can always build on cabinetry and other features later, as well as sorting out more built in infrastructure, but he'd have a level of basic stability established.

Whatever he does he needs to stop living rough and ignoring his medical needs.

The_Muncher
Mar 2, 2021

Rytheric posted:

Then when i got home I would only eat fast food places where I could safely park my box truck which quickly reduced to kfc.

Okay, do you see how not having a proper door is a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Muncher
Mar 2, 2021

Motronic posted:

No offense, but this is the only sentence that matters in your post.

It's not possible for him to stop living rough in the back of this broken box truck in any reasonable timeframe. It's time to give it up and get a proper apartment with a kitchen. Stability. Treatment. Healthy routines.

None of that is going to happen while trying to live life on hard mode.

He has a room that he is renting right now! It is available for him until next year iirc! I honestly do not understand why he is not making use of this resource he is paying for while he turns the truck into a more permanent solution!