Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

And to think we all kvetched for months about some rear end in a top hat who wouldn't post pictures of his toilet, when we had this goldmine poster just out there waiting for their moment to shine.

I need to know more about the battery closet in the Truk. Are you using the Truk's engine as a generator and if so have you given thought to just putting solar panels on the roof? It looks like it just has to power a few lamps and like a laptop/phone charger, tops.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

That would mess with the symmetry. Im not a barbarian.

Have you thought about the feng shui of your various DoomBuildings?

It's very important. Living quarters must have the door facing south. Since the GroverTruk's made of metal, you're gonna wanna make the bed out of stone, etc.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So what does <1 acre of land presumably in Middle of Nowhere, Coastal NC cost anyway, with presumably no plumbing, access to a water main or cistern, or electrical grid and with lawsuit-waiting-to-happen peculiarities like the parcel overlapping with your neighbor's living room?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

So, the lady that about wrecked our work vehicle the other day laughing at the thought of me inviting a lady to the water tower observatory then telling her that she has to use the timbershitter; well I told her about the fire pit idea, and she was cool with the idea. She was initially down with tiny houses too til she heard of my issues and now wants a larger log cabin instead which I told her I would be willing to build for her after I build the shitters, at least one MurderHaus and my hemp farmers garage. She also helped out on the hemp farm one day when asked while my tinder dates gave underwhelming reasons to declined. I dont want to speak to soon, but perhaps she may be a Mrs. GroverTruk candidate. She is anti-TimberShitter though so I have to find the best of sconces for them.

I think I've come to appreciate some of the side characters in this story as much as our man Ry.

Seriously, it's like a look into rural America that you just don't see that often.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

So the soil scientist upon learning of the shitters suggested I get a metal detector and try to find jewelry lost amongst ancient buried poo poo piles. I must contemplate this. Perhaps the timbershitters will fund themselves.

Holy poo poo.

Please do this. And document it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lodin posted:

Indeed. It's about Bigpeeler 2.0.

Hopefully the saga of Rytheric turns out better than ol' bp did :smith:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lodin posted:

Getting bad wibes from the thread now. :(

Groverhaus wasn't much different.

Once the initial magic of watching a trainwreck-in-progress wears off, you start to notice really unpleasant poo poo that makes the situation seem kinda hosed up. Also doesn't help that this is a long-term project and there's currently very little to actually talk about besides an understandable lack of project updates, French doors-in-the-rain aside, and all of these highly entertaining but also highly weird stories about Ry's very unconventional life that seem to shed a different light on the whole thing.

Still a very fun thread but now that the honeymoon is over, a lot of the poo poo that might be seen as questionable/counterproductive/downright dangerous is surfacing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

Then when I reiterated that an engineer mentioned that I could (-1 point to by arguement), but it'd be a terrible idea (+1 point to my argument) people seemingly got offended that an engineer didn't agree with them or in Motronics case outright called me a liar cause I wouldn't dox my friend.

"Yo, my buddy is an <engineer/plumber/house inspector> and he says it's fine!!!1" has a long and storied history in home improvement (and in this subforum, just ask anyone about the goon who cut away half his joists in the bathroom and then tried to get himself certified as a home inspector to get around his gigantic mistake) so you gotta understand a bit of where that's coming from.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rescope the project to make finishing GroverTruk your primary goal. The rest is just window dressing and distracts from the ultimate goal, even the (by all accounts not great?) land you're buying.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

I'm weary of focusing on GroverTruk because

I want you to think about being a guy in/approaching his thirties who is living in the back of a partially-converted, 25-year old moving van while spending 500 bucks on a second date with a Tinder rando and hoping against hope that some bumfuck, nowhere county inspector is going to approve your plan to be able to poo poo in a not-yet-built outhouse next to a little old lady whose property line runs straight through her living room. All the while ostensibly being able to afford a much, much, much better standard of living for yourself if only you weren't dedicated to weird, money-pit projects that are unlikely to see the light of day.

Look, I really don't want to tell someone how to live their life, but there is a very hard line (and that line is way behind someone who is consciously choose to sleep with a CPAP machine powered by a vehicle's alternator in the Carolina backwoods) where something like that becomes acceptable.

It was entertaining for awhile, but beyond a certain point there are some questionable morals behind laughing with/at someone trying to live in a way that is borderline dangerous.

The337th posted:

:yeah:

Unlike some other opinions here, I'd actually like to see this go somewhere other than being mired in unbelievable project creep that doesn't make good content for anyone. The goon actually snoozing in the truck being included in that.

Preaching aside: this. I wanna see a bonfire in the back of that van, op.

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 25, 2021

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Everett False posted:

This is more like, some goons saw Ry lowering himself into a well and when they asked what the gently caress he said, "idk man, I like the vibe". Then they invited more goons to come see this dude in the well, and some of those goons said, "Why are you digging? That's not going to get you out of the well!" but Ry was like, "I just figured I'd make more room, I'm not trying to get out, I'm vibin." Other goons said, "There are legitimate safety concerns involved in being in a well" and Ry went "idk man this well has been here for a while" and when they said, "Yeah but now you've dug a room under it, also it might start to get moldy" he went, "Hm... I hadn't considered mold." Meanwhile there's a contingent of goons saying, "There is no good reason to dig yourself a room under a well, this is stupid, you shouldn't have done it, and there's no way you're going to be able to stay down there assuming you even did any digging down there at all, which I assume you didn't, because that would be stupid." To which Ry shrugged and said, "It seems fine so far, I guess we'll see how it goes. Do you want to see my new telescope? I'm thinking about turning it into a periscope so I can see out of the well without pulling myself up the bucket pulley system I built out of zipties."

Okay I re-voted 5 on this thread.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

Unfortunately I have become somewhat emotionally attached to the property.

Walk.

Rytheric posted:

I'm the kind of guy who just wants to buy the property and be done with it and just accept the consequences and salvage what I can out of my purchase. So I'm inclined to buy it anyway.

Yeah you're not gonna walk.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaam.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The little old lady next door who you would be giving part of the land to is in on the scam, too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

But don't you get it, this particular piece of shitproperty is just so close to his boat which is permanently stuck in that one lake and can never ever be moved to a different one.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

beep-beep car is go posted:

This. Unbookmark, and walk away. It’s not fun anymore.

The fastest bigpeelering there's ever been.

Was fun while it lasted, but unfortunately the eccentric poster who stole everyone's hearts turned out to just be unsalvageable.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

bEatmstrJ post the toilet you goddamn coward

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

Yeah, so disclaimer this is all youtube stuff.

The new thread titles come hard and fast.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Wonder how the toilet EVE goons are reacting to all this. Legit could see them egging him on.

Either way, thread went from :five: to :one: in the blink of an eye. Don't die, Ry guy. Fix your loving exhaust, or just get rid of grovertruk and live like a functioning human for a little while, as you can clearly afford it (and if you can't, sell your $3000 telescope ffs).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

"Look if you had just given me quantifiable numbers about how much piss I could expect down here at the bottom of this piss well, that would have worked. That was my logic. Shouting 'wtf are you doing down in that well that is slowly filling up with piss?!' isn't really a good technique of persuasion."

Rytheric posted:

I have 3 modes of eating. Which I seem to cycle through.

1. Nothing but fresh fruits and veggies.
2. Huel
3. $20-$40 of kfc or bojangles a day.

None of these options require refrigeration, so I don't account for it. I've been fridge free for 4 years now.

lol.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

beep-beep car is go posted:

If your leavings are such that you feel it necessary to potty outside, you should take a good long look at your diet.

The man admitted to subsisting on a diet heavy in Huel and KFC. Both of those inflict untold horrors upon my digestive tract, so maybe you're on to something with this being the reasoning behind him wanting an outhouse.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ry, I know I've shitpost in the past, but I really have a legitimate question that I don't think you've gone into before:

You've talked about your income and what your finances are generally like. We all know what you can afford. So my question is: why do you not just get a rental agreement or a mortgage on an actual house, instead of being borderline homeless in a truck that is trying to kill you? I mean I get the appeal of DIY stuff, but this seems to be much deeper than that?

Are you a wild person who is somehow mentally unable to cope with things like modern plumbing? Like two steps away from being an early-season monster of the week episode of the X-Files, except instead of being able to turn your body into goo that slithers between cracks in doors, you are just compelled to poop out in nature?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Have you spent even a dime on Toilet EVE?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

That 24% was being wasted

I guess this is the crux of it. If living in a (professionally-built) house or apartment with solid heating, clean water, electric, clean air and basically-zero chance of carbon monoxide poisoning is a waste of money to you and you would rather live in the back of a totalled vehicle and hope beyond hope that the CO from your broken-rear end truck's engine exhaust doesn't kill you, there's little we can do to argue with you I guess, since you're clearly in need or more qualified help than any of us can provide.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

So I have statistics of others in my nationwide company's 401k. I have 23k in my 401k (10k being borrow). The 23k puts me in the 86th percentile for saving. The median 401k in North Carolina for my salary in my company is $1,713. I am 22 out of 200. The nationwide median saved is 4k for my peer group.

Compared to other industries. My peers in the information sector have a median savings of $12,279. Followed by 6k for finance and insurance. Then the manu and wholesale trade median is 5k. After that everyone falls to 2k. People in general. Do not know how to save. I'm actually pulling ahead in the retirement department by locking my funds away.

In the grand scheme of retirement savings needed to have a decent retirement by age 67 (lol that won't happen), you might as well be talking about a difference of pennies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

which stopped after I got gout

Were you drinking ungodly amounts exclusively from leaded crystal carafes or something