Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Keep on keeping on OP.

If you run in to too many regulations out east, you should move to western NC. We appreciate unorthodox ideas and eccentric living, plus the more rural counties have super jank building codes you can take advantage of, without the layers of grift you run in to east of the triangle.
I say this as a person who lived on a micro farm in a house that used to be a cellar and a shack, that was barely larger than a tiny home when I lived there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

I would get yourself a realtor. When I was looking for either property or a house last year, also in NC (due to pseudo-eviction during the pandemic that could be its own thread), my realtor helped me find plenty of options in my very limited price range. I was very close to buying a piece of land and just piecemeal having my house built while I lived in an RV/camper. I decided against this because I was tired of my life constantly being in flux and not feeling like any place is truly home any more. That poo poo wears on you after you deal with it for over a decade. Did this mean I have a much smaller piece of land and limiting my options on properties? Yes it did. However, it also meant that I was getting a nice little starter 1000 sq ft 3/1 brick home on .4 acres. During the due diligence process, I had my place inspected by everyone and their brother, and I got 20k knocked off the price in concessions. My place is still a bit rough, but its livable, its comfortable, and most :unsmith: of all I finally have a home that I can call my own and it feels like home now.

Life can be hard enough and can throw enough bullshit your way regardless of planning and all that. Think of this as an opportunity to make it a bit easier on yourself by buying either a better piece of land, or one with a small starter house on it. Trust me, the house you buy or build will give you plenty of opportunity to work on it and make it yours.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

Rytheric posted:

So I looked up the title search and paperwork they gave me. It does reference the lien, but the lawyer representing the sellers agent was weaving the contract so that the sellers agent was going to take over the loan on the owners property during the "refinance." While opening the portion I was interested in up to sell to me.

I think one implication was that the sellers agent was going after the owner's property with the house as a bigger target to sell. Selling me the portion they didn't want was just to sweeten the pot and make the transition more likely to happen. Or he just wanted the interest of the $100,000 the owner still owes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdn9Um3iW4&t=40s

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

Rytheric posted:

if a refinance is involved

Rytheric posted:

Rytheric posted:

Rytheric posted:

Thats a huge loving IF right there. If the owner isn't actively in the process of refinancing (they're not, the scammer, I mean, the sellers agent told you they aren't) then you might as well be buying property on the ocean floor contingent on the ocean drying up and the fish not filing for an easement.

To give you some context, when I bought my house in NC last year, I had an odd property line related to a retaining wall. I had to get my neighbor to sign an agreement that I would maintain the property wall even though it encroaches on their propery line for about 10 feet. My realtor advised that if this agreement didn't pan out that it might be a dealbreaker. If failing to agree to pay to maintain 10 feet of a 2 foot tall stone retaining wall would be a show stopper how in the hell wouldn't all of this wackiness they are throwing at you?

As far as perc tests go, a friend of mine, in NC, is building a house right now on a gifted a parcel of land that he had to have an additional perc test ran on, and that delayed his build time by about 3 months. He only paid for the additional perc tests after he had the paperwork proving the land was his.

If you're just paying to improve other people's land, I need a professional survey for my back property line done, estimate is about 600 so if you could cash app me 1200 that would be great.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Is this the prequel to Memento we didn't know we wanted?

Someone photoshop a polaroid with Motronic's av, and sharpie under it "Trust this poster????"

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

I hate to bring up these two things and they will probably be ignored but hey:

1. You can build an extension off of your existing exhaust with a visit to the auto parts store and 50-100 in materials. It will take you a few hours but if you want to DIY something you could do that. don't forget to use clamps and sealant though, or you'll just be moving your leak a few feet down the body of grovertruk. That would be a no weld solution that would last you a few years or so.

2. From what you have said in this thread, and what I know about bosses, stop listening to yours for financial advice, and honestly I would make moves to live anywhere else. He does not have your best interests in mind, he has his best interests and his bank accounts in mind.The concerns of a paper millionaire are different than yours, and will be for some time. I get the feeling he is like half listening to the things you say, and its a bad idea to mix your source of income with your residence. Would having to pay more for a different living arrangement be a bit of a burden while saving? Yes it would, but the feeling of having a place that is truly your own home rather than living in your boss' guest room or sleeping in an unfinished box truck would help you gain a bit of a stable baseline, and would help you plan out your property purchase more. Your boss didn't become a "millionaire" by buying sketchy vehicles and sketchy plots of land

I hope you don't take point 2 the wrong way, I just see a lot of my own experiences and feeling in what you are going through and I don't want to see you have to suffer physically or mentally due to choices. It is great to live differently, I totally agree with that, but its not great to spend all of your free time having to fiddle with a bunch of bullshit just to have a place to rest and relax. You may not feel as rushed or hurried to make a decision involving a lot of money if you can catch a breather at your own place for a little while.

Also my vote is no ambulance, due to ghosts obviously.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

luminalflux posted:

Dude's catalytic converter has a window in it by the sounds of it. He needs someone who knows what they're doing (i e not PFC Schmuckatelli from the motor pool) to fix the exhaust.

I read it as he had the cat fixed, and then there was a short section, then a muffler, with a turn down tip under the truk instead of a pipe running all the way to the back after the muffler. If there is a hole in the cat then yeah haul that thing to the muffler shop, they can get it done cheaper and quicker.

Space Kablooey posted:

Very stupid question: How is the exhaust seeping into the box cabin if the pipe is pointing downwards in the middle of a presumably solid floor? Is it a question of the exhaust seeping through some really small cracks in the floor and/or through the back and through the door seams?

I'm assuming the box truck is outside or something where the truck's own air intakes doesn't come into play, but I have no idea...

With the exahust turn down terminating under the middle of the truck, the exhaust is going out under the middle of the truk. Those boxes aren't air tight, and he has no door on the back. That means that if you are in the back of the truck with the engine idling, you are directly above the exhaust instead of the exhaust going out and away from the back of the truk box.

Ardemia fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 2, 2021

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

nadmonk posted:

If they do the proper inspection they are supposed to do in NC, they probably won't let him drive it either. Although maybe there are commercial vehicle exemptions I'm not aware of.

When I lived there I had to replace a taillight lens because it had a crack in it (not broken and was fully functional, mind you) within a certain amount of time for them to pass inspection for my truck.

NC inspections vary a lot depending on the county you live in,the age of the vehicle, and the level of fucks given by the shop. I've had several cars pass repeatedly at one garage and then fail at another. It all depends on their interpretation of the inspection guidelines.
In my time working at a shop, I only saw us fail one vehicle for true safety concerns, and that was due to a failed brake system(multiple fluid leaks and two seized calipers, had to use the ebrake to get it to acutally stop), not worn out suspension.

Rytheric posted:

So. GroverTruk was in an accident the year before last and was totaled by an Insurance company because although it was mainly cosmetic damage the value of the repair exceed the cost of the vehicle. It was sold at an auto auction for $500. Then someone repaired it and got a restored title for it. How I got scammed as pointed out to me by a goose was that they got the title washed prior to selling it to me or it somehow got washed when I titled it by the officer entering something incorrectly while they were checking to make sure it wasn't stolen and if it was road enough worthy. One of those things happened. Apparently washing a vehicle title is a federal offense that is not enforced in my state which allowed this to happen. if its not disclosed that it was washed to the next purchaser though that's another federal offense which makes it harder to sell.

Whatever goose told you that was full of poo poo. Titles can be washed in a variety of state patterns that I am not going to share here for obvious reasons. Is it moral or honest? gently caress no, but its gray area legal. If you have a clear NC title on that thing you can sell it without it being some kind of nebulous federal offense. If the NC DMV hosed up your titling process, that is on them, not you. You probably know what I'm going to say here, but walk away from buying any vehicle in the future that has a sketchy trail of ownership and can't just sign over a clear title to you.

Your almost 10k for grovertruk/budgeted repairs/4 figure telescope could have gotten you a used camping trailer and a beater F150/Silverado/Ram which would have given you a place to live in and a vehicle to get to work. You could have gone even cheaper with a lighter duty SUV and a popup camper too. To say that somehow a used RV wouldn't have the insulation you wanted, but a random box truck somehow would is dishonest. I had a friend who lived in an RV over the winter up here in the mountains, and it was fine. That thing was a real old piece of poo poo that wasn't as nice as what you could get either. Old RVs and campers have plenty of potential problems for sure, but would make for a better starting platform for your needs. It gives you a good place to stay while building a tiny house on a nice piece of land too :)

You have the money to get yourself a better starting truk and camper/RV to live in. You deserve to have a nicer place to live than you currently do. Why not done?

Also as a fellow NCer, whats your normal bojangles order? I usually go for the cajun filet biscuit or the supremes dinner, though the smoked sausage biscuit and the cheddar bo are solid options for breakfast too. Haven't been since the pandemic though :smith:

Feel free to ignore my entire post other than the bojangles question.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

Rytheric posted:

Yeah once I get the floor in I need to caulk it from the outside else water may seep under the sills and get trapped there.

Edit: I also need to caulk and screen the joints so bees don't invade the reflectix airgaps.

I know you're not a big RV fan for *reasons*, but have you considered checking out an RV salvage yard for some conversion parts/pieces? I helped a friend convert a bus to a skoolie, and he saved himself a lot of time by getting some components and pieces from an RV salvage yard. At the very least you might find a cool retractable awning, or something.

Also I will just say to pick and choose ideas from Dave Ramsey. His advice can be impractical, and I'll be damned if I'll take a lot of money advice from some guy that went bankrupt due to real estate speculation in the 80s. He also leans heavily on religious ideas and the guilt behind them, which has no place in money management imo. Be wary of the man that owns 100 cars that would shame you for buying a bicycle.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

Motronic posted:

Important question: was it your only car as well as your only residence?

had to deal with this three times working in the shop:

First guy's van smelled of alcohol and vomit, we got his alternator replaced and refused to test drive it further due to the condition and well the overpowering smell of vomit. He slept in the parking lot overnight while we ordered the alternator. He also slept in our parking lot that night after he paid for repairs, but left after that.

Second guy bought a Westfalia converted Eurovan, that thing was a colossal piece of poo poo. He would get pissed off at me, the service writer, about his stupid house on wheels not being ready despite my constant communication about parts status and repair status. Sorry dude but I didn't tell you to terminate your lease and buy a Eurovan to haul yourself and your KLR650 around with because you read advrider.com too many times. That thing ended up needing a new transmission, new locks, and a shitload of top end engine work. Pretty sure he was fired as a customer after I left, I know the manager couldn't stand dealing with him because he was lying about living in the thing. The Westfalia bits were great though!

Third was several crust punks living in a conversion van. It was an old chevy that we replaced the engine in. Those guys were a dream to deal with, they had a camping spot to stay at while we did the engine replacement, and they would hang out under a shade tree out back the last two days we worked on it. They traded me some art for some lunch one of those days lol. We ended up paying for their rental car to and from their campground. Plus, it was rare to be able to discuss which Conflict album was the best one with a customer.

I share my silly anecdotes to say Rytheric, be mindful of the repair process while living in the vehicle, get as much taken care of before you're full time in it, and then let the shop know its your house and see what accommodations can be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

1. NC has marijuana decriminalization from an effort in the late 1970's during the Carter administration to decriminalize marijuana possession nationwide, has nothing at all to do with our hemp farming that started a few years ago. It is very limited in scope and you can still catch a misdemeanor or a felony once you go over certain weight thresholds. In fact, they have put even more restrictions in place on hemp farming since they allowed for hemp farming to take place - see the recent laws/regulations against smokeable hemp, and the increasing scrutiny/difficulty of getting a hemp farming license. I think there are only 13 licensed farms currently. Its worth knowing about that stuff if you're going to help out on a hemp farm, which I'm sure is fun to do. I only say that so you aren't misinformed and get caught up in someone else's bullshit just because you had good intentions and wanted a fun life experience.

2. Your run in with the "corrupt" regular cop was a learning moment. You didn't know due to lack of experience and your privilege as to how bad they can be, until he blew up at you for gathering your own evidence and then doing nothing at all to help you get your money order back. You didn't know that the stove was hot, but you put your hand on it and got burned. I would stop asking the burning hot stove that already burned me for advice on how to best manage my money or find a place to live.

3. For the very important business of securing the back of the truck, I bet you could find a similar style roll door to replace it with. I agree with other posters that finding a 25 year old replacement for a wear component like that on a fleet vehicle would be tough, but I bet a newer one would work just fine, given the opening dimensions should be very similar for one 10-15 years newer. Failing a replacement like that, a regular roll style garage door *might* work, but youll have to do some retrofit for that I'm sure. A comedy option would be those large old timey scissor metal gates they used to use on freight elevators.