Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rytheric posted:

What would I need to obscure. There is just a road and two adjacent houses.

Edit : Ossum, thanks :)

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rytheric posted:

I prefer things the old craftsman way.

Saws are like 4000 years old and have been used by craftsmen for that long.

It's been many years since I worked as a chippie but still.... dont use a hammer for a screwdriver is the saying I think is approriate here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rytheric posted:

I just can't stand the noise and dust powered equipment produces.

Ummmm. Wasnt talking about power saws....?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rytheric posted:

You literally missed the first sentence.

A 10 amp draw won't tax my system a 10 amp at 120 volts will or 100 amps at 12volts prior to the transformer.

My AR days are behind me so I don't quite have maths on power in my head but.... What? Huh? Sorry but that didnt make a lick of sense.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You got the opportunity to bail out, so do it. Bail out.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JFC dude, bail the hell out, your the mark for two scammers. RUN AWAY.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rytheric posted:

Gotcha. See I couldnt tell with Motronics humour if he was more concerned about me ripping the axles out or the cinderblocks. I could tell it easier with elment80s humour. Seeing a vehicle up on cinderblocks isn't uncommon in west virginia. So was kinda neutral about it. Figured I could distribute the load well enough.

No one is joking when actual experienced car people are flat out telling you putting ANYTHING on cinderblocks - especially a truck - is a truly stupid idea that gets people killed. Just because a bunch of very stupid people do it doesnt mean you should even contemplate it.

The last page and a half hasnt made for particularly good reading to say the least.

quote:

well everything was going good until i had to tighten one of the caliper bolts that required roughly 200 ft lbs

Okay wait, what vehicle was this? Because 200ft/lb is 271Nm what were you tightening because nothing under 19mm needs anything close to that on a brake system and on most cars caliper bolts are more like 13/14mm and they cant take that much torque

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 28, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The real issue here is that a bunch of car people are seeing you use terms that are wrong. I defer to people that have worked on Ford I-Beam IFS for the correct terms but the control arms != axles for one.

Rytheric posted:

Yeah, so disclaimer this is all youtube stuff. But the idea is to just lift it up until the suspension droops, take off the shock then pull the spring out. Ive used people use c clamps or just a screw driver.

Here is a video of them taking it off between the 4 and 5 minute mark. Note that some of it doesn't look safe. I don't like the lack of attention to where their hands and arms are.

https://youtu.be/C_HAnqPw_TY

AHHHHHHH DEAR GOD NO DO NOT USE C- CLAMPS. DO NOT USE SCREWDRIVERS.

Use a proper spring compressor or don't do it at all. Springs are NOT to be hosed with under compression, they will make a mess of you if poo poo goes wrong.

Suggesting cinderblocks for under car maintenance or screwdrivers / clamps for springs just screams you dont know what you are doing, stop and take it to someone that does.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 28, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rytheric posted:

So, can confirm. Charging my GroverBattery with the GroverEngine and sitting on the back porch. I can definitely smell the exhaust coming up through the floor. But not from inside the bedroom and the bedrooms CO alarm is not going off. Good thing I went with the open porch concept instead of the enclosed tearoom.

If you can smell the exhaust coming through the floor then stop the motor while you are inside the box and air it out. CO is not something to gently caress with.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Long term exposure to low levels of CO is still loving bad. Just because your life isn't in immediate danger doesn't mean it's not in danger. 10ppm is enough to cause problems.

Please listen to Tinal.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Talk about 50 shades of trying to off yourself

Rytheric posted:

Any thoughts on how to fix this issue?

Fix the bloody exhaust first. Christ, just stop for a second - you gave yourself CO poisoning last night and you worry about the idle?!?!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rytheric posted:

Co2 also comes out the exhaust too right? So I mean there's that. Id be more concerned of that being more likely given co is a byproduct of incomplete combustion where as I'd hope there would be more complete combustion than incomplete.

Seriously....? CO2 isnt exactly healthy for you either you know.

Rytheric posted:

So. I took another gander into the dark recesses of the GroverTruk underbelly because I was concerned that a lengthened pipe would be too close to the fuel tank. Lo and behold I found a bracket for the original exhaust that would have the CO escaping into the environment out from behind the rear passenger side dualies. I think the previous owner made several modifications to the grovertruk. I noticed some cooling lines were missing from the throttle body, there was a hole in the catalytic converter and now it looks like the down turned exhaust under the bed is also a modification from the original. It sounds like they were trying to get more power out of the GroverTruk. As if it needed more power. Perhaps if I restore the original exhaust it will run better.

Yes actually, a proper full length exhaust would make it run better. And also stop you from being gassed.

Also those "coolant" lines to the throttle body are there mostly to warm the throttle body so it doesnt ice up and stick. You would get more power putting a sik mods list aka "street racing idiot shopping list" on the side than removing those. In a colder climate you should be running those.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rytheric posted:

I meant one is more likely to happen. Co is like a sometimes snack that happens while co2 will always happen. That's why I'm less concerned about it. Why would I worry about a gas that is only sometimes produced when I rarely run the engine while im inside. That makes the chances of it being an issue rather slim in my mind. Like less than a handful of chances per winter. Perhaps I'm over analyzing it though. Regardless I will restore the exhaust to start going out the side at the rear like it did initially.

CO IS ALWAYS PRODUCED WHEN A GAS MOTOR IS RUNNING

Fix your bloody exhaust.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 2, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

This is worse than I thought and I already thought all of this was a trainwreck of burning dumpsters

Salvaged title, odo wound back... is this truck even registered / insured?????

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

If it started, stopped and steered that would be one thing. Currently it won't idle and the suspension is rashed. It can be fixed yes, but in the end he'll have dropped thousands on a truck at AT BEST is worth a couple hundo. Not very Dave Ramsey.

There's an either forum where a lot of posters willingly do that with cars.

Dumping money into a vehicle worth a pittance is the last thing I'm going to be critical of. At least the RyTrukk is fixable, I dont see anything terminal

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rytheric posted:

I will likely have the brakes address at the upcoming safety inspection. The rotors have some groves. Cooling system works surprisingly well after I replaced the radiator other than the control fail point I have where a hose popped off. Tires are brand new and they replaced the radius arm bushings when they did the alignment. I wish they did the other bushings as well.

Explain this "controlled fail point" because there should be no such thing in a vaguely working car / truck cooling system.

If a coolant hose is popping off, then there is likely more than just a head gasket wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Explain this "controlled fail point" because there should be no such thing in a vaguely working car / truck cooling system.

If a coolant hose is popping off, then there is likely more than just a head gasket wrong.

Please enlighten me on the above please Ryth. I want this controlled fail point explained